The Gallery - Ugly - This should be in a Tim Burton Film - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

The Gallery – Ugly – This should be in a Tim Burton Film

| April 3, 2010 | 25 Comments

Ugly

I love Tara Cain’s Weekly The Gallery. Each week we she posts a new topic on her site and encourages submissions. This week’s theme is “Ugly”. Rather a tricky one we all say. I thought about finding a slug. But couldn’t find one. Then I thought of an unfavourable family photo, but that wouldn’t have been very kind. Then I thought of a “Full Potty”, but that is just yukky. And then I remembered/ saw these: these are supposed to be trees on our road! The council just hacked them into stumpy amputated left overs of something that used to be a tree. They should be in a Tim Burton film… not our road. I hate them. I think they are ugly ugly ugly!! Each summer they struggle to grow some leaves and in winter they just make everything more miserable! I took photos at dawn and sunset – and nature does an amazing thing: it transform them into magical structures that you would find in an enchanted forrest – don’t you agree!?

PS With a gnarled old tree, nature was at work… hence there is something inherently beautiful. These are man made… hence the “ugliness”.

Ugly Tree 1

Ugly Tree 2

Ugly Tree 3

I am also linking this up with “Where in World” at Lemon Drop Pie, where this weeks theme is “National Parks” – now, we havent been anywhere recently, but I reckon “Trees” sort of fit with “Park” ;-)

Category: Uncategorized

Sites That Link to this Post

1. uberVU - social comments | April 7, 2010
  1. Dieuwke Swain says:

There’s something beautiful about the photo Ugly Tree 1, even though the tree itself is ugly. Intriguing!

Ugly Tree 3′s a really good photo too. Reminds me of Anton Corbijn’s style (he did U2′s Joshua Tree photography & video – by the way, I like his photography, but I don’t like the band – just want to make that very clear…!).

2. The Moiderer says:

That is one ugly tree. I like gnarly trees – but that is beyond that…

3. Those trees are great – very interesting :)

4. Luschka says:

I like ugly tree number 1. I think I posted something quite similar recently. Or I took it but didn’t post it. Don’t remember now. Lovely pic, anyway.!

5. greenmum2 says:

hmm, now they look familiar ;>)
    Ah, those poor ‘Pollarded’ trees – now that’s a word you German speakers don’t hear very often?

lots of love x

Clever word… never heard it before … but now I have looked it up, I think the council failed miserably…

6. JFB says:

I think your pics are great & they bear out what I said in my entry fo ‘Ugly’ this week. That is that beuaty & ugliness are truly in the eye of the beholder. I think your trees are quite lovely!

7. They are shocking when you know that a man did this to them… well maybe a woman but you know what I mean!

8. whatshappeningatmyhouse says:

As trees go, they are definitely ugly ones! Lovely blue sky in the background, though!

9. parklover says:

Poor mutilated tree! My neighbour recently had the beautiful tree in his garden hacked back and I wanted to cry. He’s done it before and it does grow back but takes ages.

10. Nova says:

It’s sad when the trees look like that & then suddenly they look all normal again

11. Chelle says:

The tree is so ugly it’s beautiful, good photo!

12. audreyhorne says:

Oh – poor trees. They are quite ugly, aren’t they? That second one gives me the shivers…

13. We have a huge weeping willow in our town that regularly gets massacred by the council. It does come back well each year. Not sure these trees will – they look very strange.
    Great post and pics x

14. Great photos! I think number 3 looks more like something you would see down the lens of a microscope…

15. Yes, these trees are awful! What’s the point? Would’ve been better just to have completely chopped them down rather than leave them like THIS?

16. How awful. I would love to live in a tree lined road, but not these ugly ones. Why on earth did they chop them like that??

17. Wendy (whimsicalwife) says:

Ooooof they are ugly!

18. JulieB says:

They look like the trees on our street – the name escapes me at the moment. Agree they are ugly – in the winter just stumps, and in the summer green but with horrible, sticky, sap stuff. Yuck

19. Hayley says:

Aww those trees are kinda cute in a cute but ugly way!

20. Barbara says:

I think those trees are beautiful – I like the knobblyness of them!

21. Ginny Marie says:

I agree with you…those trees ARE ugly trees! They certainly would fit in a Tim Burton film, and they look very different from any of the trees we have in my town!