How to... make Swedish Hearts (Easter Baskets) - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

How to… make Swedish Hearts (Easter Baskets)

| April 9, 2010 | 20 Comments

Swedish Heart

We went to visit a good Swedish friend of mine for an “early” Easter lunch last week. My, did she lay out a pretty spread for us – lots of Swedish traditional goodies – salmon, rollmops, meats and for Easter, of course, hard boiled eggs. Like in most countries that decorate eggs, you usually decorate them before the lunch. However, my friend decided it would be more fun for us all to have a go as we sat down to eat. Much more fun. Here are some photos. It is hard to find white eggs in the Uk, so we used duck eggs. They were very tasty!

Friend’s take on day: I am still laughing when I think about Max catching grapes: Are you ready? Yeah! Are you going to catch it? Yeah! Are you sure? Yeah! Really? Yeah! Hi hi hi! (you had to  be there, Red Ted “trying” to catch grapes in his 2yrs old mouth!).

After we had stuffed ourselves (we also were served a traditioal chocolate cake, delicious), we got crafty and made a vlog on how to make Swedisch hearts. These are traditional for Christmas, but I think you could easily use them whenever. If you find the “basket” idea to fiddly – you can always make a “1-dimensional heart” and glueing the ends down (i.e. ignore the fact that you have “loops”). These still make for pretty decorations – you just can’t fill them!

You will need: Paper 2 contrasting colours, template, scissors, stapler. If you make your own template, ruler & pencil.

Easter Lunch

Red Ted's Egg

Colouring

For more Tutorials please visit the How To Tab!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Christmas, Easter, Uncategorized

1. Luschka says:

That is super fab and definitely going in my ‘to do with Kyra’ folder – in a few years, of course!

2. Lina says:

Very nice! I hope it inspires. I was thinking it would have been nice to make yellow and purple ones for easter…

3. Jane says:

you certainly had a great ‘lunch time’ i will have to have a go at making a heart like that looks great

Oh yes! It was a gorgeous lunch! And DO have a go… rememeber: the bottom needs to be a square, divided up equally with a semi circle (ish) on top!! The results are SO worth it! Enjoy!!!!

4. Wow, these are AMAZING; my boys get a bit squeamish about ‘girly’ hearts these days (good grief, and I thought I was raising them as feminists), so will try an alternative shape (any ideas?), but they are brilliant – good work!
    Cheers
    Ali
    x

Could do one half with a dinosaur head and arm. The other half with a big dinosaur tail? That could look cool?? Maybe…????????

5. Fawnda says:

very pretty! I love it! :)

6. Oh my crafty goodness! My mother has one of these that a visiting Finn made for her years ago. I recently spent ages trying to figure out how to recreate it, to no avail. I cannot tell you how excited I am to find this here! Now I just need to get myself to a high-speed connection so that I can actually *watch* the video.

Ooooh am so pleased! You are one my Craft Gurus! So am pleased, I was able to “to give you something” in return! Hurray!!!!

7. Lily says:

Oh! I love these so much! A three year old that I used to child-mind for loved them too. She saw all the ones made of birch bark that I had made. We made lots out of construction paper together, scaled up in size and simplified down to only 3 or 4 strips. She did all the cutting (very good practise for straight lines and not cutting things in half completely) and I did the weaving. We got a real production line going and gave them to all our friends. Thank you for reminding me <3

8. Lily says:

It was a lovely morning, nothing went wrong that a bit of sticky tape couldn’t fix. It sounds like you had heaps of fun too!

9. Hootin' Anni says:

Sweet….and you shared a visual in video form…I LIKE THAT!!! [I love the easter egg cup too as I collect them]

My Friday’s Link:
    My Handmade Lighthouse Dolphin Shelf

I do hope you’ll find time to stop by for a visit with me. Have a super weekend!!!

10. Ruth says:

My mum taught me how to make these when I was little, but we used to do small ones for the Christmas tree.
    Good for using up last year’s cards.
    I’ve been trying to work out how fabric ones would hold up.

I have seen fabric ones being made – you basically need to “stiffen” them with glue first (i.e. cover in PVA, let dry and then follow the instructions for the paper one). Looks lovely.

12. Jane says:

I am so glad you put up a tutorial on how to make these. I had made them long ago, and couldn’t quite remember how to do them. I wanted to put some dainty flowers in them and hang them from lace at the top of one of my little granddaughter’s wall for a border. Thanks for the help!