Books x 3 - Harold & The Purple Crayon, Matthew's Dream, The Crayon Box That Talked - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Books x 3 – Harold & The Purple Crayon, Matthew’s Dream, The Crayon Box That Talked

| June 7, 2010 | 15 Comments

IF YOU LIKE MY BLOG, PLEASE DO CLICK ON THE “TOP MOMMY BLOGGER” TO THE BOTTOM RIGHT OF THIS POST AND VOTE FOR ME! THANK YOU!

We have a lovely rainbow project later in the week, so I thought I’d bring you some books about drawing and colours. I hope you like them too!

Harold and the Purple Crayon (Purple Crayon Books)Harold and the Purple Crayon, Crockett Johnson. A real delight! Little Harold has a purple crayon and with it he enters a world of adventure – only his imagination is the limit! A lovely little story and perfect for encouraging drawing and developing the imagination. What can YOU draw with your crayon?!  Red Ted (2yrs) is still a little young for this book, but he likes the pictures and I think he will grow into it very quickly!

Matthew's Dream Matthew’s Dream, Leo Lionni. One of Leo Lionni’s slightly less well known books. Matthew is a little mouse setting out to discover what he wants to be when he grows up. A trip to the art gallery helps him discover his passion for colour.. I love Lionni’s little mice stories – beautifully illustrated and for me “classics”.

The Crayon Box That Talked The Crayon Box That Talked, by Shane Derolf. One of my random finds, this is about a crayon box, that well, talks! Actually it is more than that it is about a crayon box that doesn’t get along. A little girl buys it and then shows them that their not getting along is based on not knowing each other…. It is a simple book with bright colourful illustrations. I think it is a little dull, but 2yrs old Red Ted LOVES it and often brings it to me saying “mummy read”. So there you go! It has obviously captured his imagination! Definitely for our younger readers (<3.5yrs).

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Books

1. GreenMum says:

Aha! you inspired me to dig our Harold and the Purple Crayon, I had romantically bought for SAHD about 10 years ago (pre-kids!)
    The boys giggled their way through it, a very sweet book…will have to borrow the others off you!
    Cheers
    x

2. Z-Dad says:

All great picks!

3. Amy @ Hope Is the Word says:

We LOVE Harold and the Purple Crayon and its sequels. I’ve written a couple of blog posts about it, in fact.

I don’t think we’ve read Matthew’s Dream, and I know we haven’t seen the other one. They look great! Thanks for sharing!

I will have pop over and check those posts out! Thank you for linking them!!! Love Harold!!! Matthew’s dream is a must – or at least one of Leo Lionni’s little mice books! They are all lovely!

4. Anne@LittleSproutBooks says:

We have The Crayon Box That Talked too, and B loves it! He likes the personified crayons, and he also loves to study the sketches on the end pages and imagine the stories behind the pictures.

5. Oh, these would all go so well with “Art’s Supplies” that we read for stART. More for my list! :)

6. Great books for an Art Theme. My kids loved The Harold and the Purple Crayon when they were little. Have you ever read the Chalk Box Kid? I’ll have to look for the Crayon Box that Talked. Sounds like a great book!

7. Chels says:

Fun books! We just recently started reading Leo Lionni books thanks to Silly Eagle Books. Matthew’s Dream is at our library so I’ll be checking it out today! Thanks!

8. Ticia says:

And the crayon box that talked is to great for a bunch of lessons, I remember using it when I taught to show getting along.

9. Natalie says:

Thanks for joining WMCIR! We just got a collection of Harold Adventures – it’s such a great read even though daughter is kind of “so-so” on it, because she finds certain places “scary”. I have to look for Leo Lionni book – it sounds awesome. And we really liked The Crayon Box that Talked here as well.

10. Janna @ Mommy's Piggy TALES- Record Your Youth with me! says:

I just voted for you b/c you do some AMAZING things over here!

And I have requested that crayon book at the library. Take care!

Ah! bless you, that is so sweet of you to say and thank for voting! :-) much appreciated!!! Hope to see you again soon! x