The Gallery - Motherhood - Red Ted Art's Blog

The Gallery – Motherhood

| June 12, 2010 | 68 Comments

This post originally started out for a Guest Post at The Madhouse, but I think it really works for the below, as well as for “Alphabet Thursday”: Y is Yacht. Well sort of, maybe it is just a boat!

Jenny Matlock Y is for Yacht

The Gallery is officially back (Tara Cain is back from hols) and this week’s topic is “Motherhood”. I thought of the piles of washing. I thought of the piles of dishes. I thought of the heavy shopping bags. I thought of sleepless nights. I thought of my gorgeous little girl’s smile. I thought of my adorable little boy’s eyes when they light up.

I thought of this photo.

I think motherhood is very personal and different to each mother. We all experience it differently and there are many stages. I am in the wonderyears of Motherhood.

What this photo means to me as a mother:

This egg carton box would never have come into my life, if it wasn’t for my children. It shows toys we would never have. It shows an egg carton I wouldn’t “own” (I bought a dozen eggs just so I could have the box). It represents some of the quality time I spend with Red Ted. It represents fun and good times. It also represents nurturing my children. Teaching them to have a go. To give things a try. It teaches (both of us) to recycle around the home. To make the most of what we have and to see beauty in things that are ordinary. It teaches us to make up stories. It teaches us to take care (with Pip Squeak, the baby, who musn’t play with the chopsticks masts). It teaches us, that the world is your oyster, and your imagination is the limit.

For me Motherhood is also about creating childhood memories that they will (hopefully) cherish as adults or when they become parents themselves… I hope very much to succeed on this level! Fingers crossed.

What this photo also shows, is that Motherhood has given my creativity a new outlet. So not only my children benefit, but I do too. For me Motherhood is Win Win!

For more photographs from our life visit here.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Category: photographs

1. Heather @notesfromlapland says:

fabulous photo and explanation.

2. Michelle says:

That photo is really great and so sweet. Like how you see and explained Motherhood. xo

Thank you! Will definitely associate time with “my little ones” with this photo! ;-)

It is funny – the photo came first (I took it 2-3 weeks ago for a post) and it just seemed fittin! The explaination came all by itself!

3. That’s lovely! It’s the bit about being a Mum that gives me enormous satisfaction. You can get bogged down in washing, cleaning etc and forget to live. Making a mess without a care and encouraging creativity satisfies my soul. Well done, great post! (You are always so quick off the mark!)

Ah! Thanks for lovely comment :-) but it is a nice part of motherhood, no?! Quick off the mark.. as Fridays I have the most time ;-) xx

4. se7en says:

Love this post – the photo is beautiful!!!

5. kailexness says:

Beautiful picture and post, it is so hard to make motherhood visual isn’t it..

6. Rowan says:

Great photo, and great egg box boat! That Red Ted is a talented chap (with a talented mum too!)

7. JulieB says:

I’m struggling with this one, I must admit – this morning the pile of washing was winning… Love your take on it; a little bit different, and personal.

8. Jenny paulin @ mummy mishaps says:

That’s a lovely post and a great use for egg cartons-what fun!!

9. Cheshire Mum says:

Fabulous take on the prompt, mine is much more, erm shall we say “gritty” ! Your inspirations are wonderful – loving your take on the prompt and the egg boxes! Cx

10. Sally says:

What a fab, inspiring photo – thanks for sharing.

Thank you! Took it for a guest craft post over at The Madhouse, but am pleased it had a “use” here too….

11. Ooh I wish i’d done boats like this when my son was younger. Do you think he might still enjoy me getting the egg boxes out? He’s 14. Worth a try ;-)

12. jfb57 says:

Lovely take on the theme! It is memories isn’t it. Thanks for sharing!

13. leslieanne says:

This is great :)
    Can’t wait til Dylan’s old enough for making and sticking and all that good stuff :)

OOOh! How old is he? Never underestimate what they can already do/ what they will enjoy! I do “help” a lot, but Red Ted is chuffed to bits that it had a go!! (He is 2.5yrs). x

14. parklover says:

I love this post. I also hope that I can give my daughter happy memories to take into adulthood. I’ve also found that having my daughter has made me rediscover my creative side. Beautifully put!

15. Oh fantastic! You have just inspired me to ‘give in’ when the kids raid the recycling bin next time.

Love it.

LCM x

Oh the recycling bin is the BEST CRAFT resource… you must ;-) (then when it comes to throwing away “artwork” that has been sufficicently played with, you won’t feel bad either!) x

16. This is brilliant and so original. I love it and it sums up Motherhood perfectly :)

17. Ruth says:

It’s so cool that you used this picture – it’s obvious how important your creativity, and sharing it with your kids is to you. Bet they love every second. x

18. RebaMc says:

Oooooo, I love this pic. I can’t wait till we get to the crafting together stage!

19. Beautifully inspired and inspiring description and image!

20. becky says:

mummy crafting is so much fun fab idea and lovely photo

Love it when Red Ted gets really stuck in!! Though nothing quite beats mummy hood like a nice big cuddle!

21. Nova says:

The boats are brilliant and I know exactly what you mean….I have done so many things that I would never have done if I hadn’t had children. :0)

22. Magic Mummy says:

What a brilliant take on the post – I love your boat ;-)

23. They are great boats, I must try my hand at it. Great photo and great inspiration :)

24. What great boats! I want you as my mum :)

25. I love the boats! Very cool…I always loved the crafty bits with all my kids.

26. This is great I cant wait to do craft things with Baba xx

27. Mirka Moore says:

You are just incredible, all the creative activities you do with you little one, I don’t have the patience and hate the mess;(

28. Dan says:

What a lovely twist on this weeks theme. A great photo and I love the line about creating childhood memories that they will cherish.

29. Hi,
    Sian – MummyTips / CyberMummy Here…… I’ve just posted with the info you need in order to get your pic printed for the real life CyberMummy Gallery exhibition courtesy of Photobox.

30. bumbling says:

It’s amazing what motherhood brings into our lives – and the way in which it makes us look at the world around us differently – you bought eggs, I saved the cup and spoon from my icecream on the beach – it made a great mini bucket and spade!

Lovely post.

31. Fiona Erlandsen says:

This one’s for me and my little ones today, just got to go and buy 6 more eggs. Thanks for the inspiration. We were going to do treasure maps with aged paper (aka cooked in the oven to brown and burn the edges). These boats are the perfect accompaniment.

Ooh a treasure hunt! That sounds fabulous! Mine still too little… but one day soon :-) glad you like the boats! x

32. JDaniel4's Mom says:

I need to have a yacht race at my house with my son. I have the egg cartons.

33. laterg8r says:

what a great craft and symbol for your motherhood :D

34. Riet says:

What a super lovely yaght post. I love it.

35. soulintention: signed .............bkm says:

Wow great Yachts…..it reminds me of a poem about mother’s and sailing I just posted on my children’s site… you may like it …it is called Do You Hear the Wind…

Great Y post…have a happY Y daY….bkm

36. Terra says:

my daughter saves every egg carton every kleenex box toilet paper roll etc. she makes some pretty fun stuff but these yachts take the cake! I will have to show her!

37. Christy says:

I really love this post – tells so much about how you mother and what motherhood is to you. thanks for sharing!

38. Yanet says:

How adorable. I need to make this with my boys. Great Y post.

39. What an adorable stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday’s letter “Y”!

This was such a perfect post!

And I’m really excited to try this idea with our littlest grand.

Thank you for linking up!

Thank you for making us smile!

Yippee!

A+

:-) thank you Jenny, always feel very honoured when you leave me such lovely messages!! Hope you have fun making your boat!!!! x