The Gallery - Creatures - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

The Gallery – Creatures

| June 19, 2010 | 28 Comments

Ant milking

The Gallery’s theme this week is “Creatures”. I decided to head to the garden and seek out one of Red Ted’s current fascinations (amongst snails and those funny little armadillo things). Here you have “Ant Milking Greenfly”. They are on our potted apple tree in our front garden. Now I have the photo, the bug spray is coming out!!!

I may also now have an excuse for a stronger lense… it was a b*gger to get that close and the greenfly still wouldn’t focus (and I would have liked to be close still). Sigh.

And then we met Cedric:

A wandering we shall go

Previous Photo Posts:

- Motherhood

- Who needs the beach when you have a ball?

- Still life: Life’s Lovely Laundry

- Symbol of Friendship

- Self Portrait by Red Ted

- (My) Men

- Enchanted Woods

- Portrait

- 7 Sins – Pride

- Joy – Spring

- Ugly – These should be in a Tim Burton film

- Outside my front door

- Me

- Colour (Red Ted’s Bunny)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: photographs

1. cartside says:

well spotted and great photo!

2. becky says:

inspired my choice of Cedric II ;-)

3. Lovely, particularly the one of Cedric!

Oh yes, we were rather pleased that Cedric appeared… have been meaning to do a snail photo since the “ugly” prompt. Though Cedric isn’t ugly! Sadly, we have now lost him. **sigh**. x

4. Mirka Moore says:

I think your snail has come to our garden, they look very similar ;)

5. Lina says:

The photo of Cedric is very nice… I could see that as a painting!

6. Him Up North says:

Great photos. Goes to show we don’t need zoos or safari parks to find interesting wildlife. It all kicks off right outside our doors.

7. Nova says:

Great photos…know what you mean about a bigger lens….I get so frustrated trying to photos close up that won’t focus. ;0S

8. Annie says:

You need to treat yourself to a macro lens, you won’t regret it. I used mine for the fly shot I posted today.. gruesome, but close.

Love the snail shot.. and they’re great for photographing because they go so slow LOL.

Lovely photos :)

Totally agree.. about all your points! Will look into lenses… and see if we can afford one!! Would LOVE one!!! And this snail was surprisingly FAST! But yes, not quite as fast as the ant… hopping your way for the fly now!

• Annie says:

I got mine from ebay. I was told to buy a sigma this or canon that etc, but I didn’t know if I’d like it or not. I bought a vivitar 100mm macro lens for £40 for my canon camera and have never regretted it. Only problem is, it works well and so I can’t justify spending a couple of hundred quid on sigma or canon one, despite having to glue bits back on to my one LOL. I’ve also got a set of macro extension rings (a fiver from ebay) which allow you to get even closer. I used them for the fly.

Thanks for stopping by my place and leaving a comment :)

Will look into! Thank you for the advie. Much appreciated! Have a Nikon D80, so will have to see what is compatible?!

9. I had to watch vid to the end just to see if he got squashed by toddler finger, I was looking forward to the “whoops mum” !!!

10. Michelle says:

Great photo’s love the one with Cedric and the blue!

11. Love the one of the ant with the gooseberry, the gooseberry looks huge too :D

12. Harriet says:

Is it weird to say that a snail is beautiful? Cedric is quite the most handsome snail I’ve seen in a long time.

The milking greenfly though is just creepy.

13. How amazing to be able to get a shot of an ant! Amazing. I need to invest in a better camera!

14. fenngirl says:

Cedric is one good-looking snail. Your photographs are beautiful. It’s great to get close up to creatures that we often don’t notice.

15. Lindsey says:

Snails! My most favourite creature in the whole world! Well… one of them. Love it :-) x