The Gallery & Kindness Club - Red Ted Art's Blog

The Gallery & Kindness Club

| July 17, 2010 | 34 Comments

2 for 1 Saturdays continue. I can see this mushrooming, as also have a few tags and memes to do. Oh no! In the meantime:

The Gallery – A  Novel Idea (or B is for Broken Mirror)

This week’s Gallery prompt is a photo representing a book or novel. I chose our 1.1m x 1m bathroom mirror that randomly fell off the wall and smashed into a 1000 pieces (the photo only shows a small corner). Thankfully no one was in the room. It could have been rather horrible. Doesn’t bear thinking about. Which bring me to the book: The Broken Mirror by Kirk Douglas (yes, that is right, the actor).

The Broken Mirror is a children’s holocaust story. I am going to be lazy and link to an excellent review here:

Book Page Review of The Broken Mirror

But two key messages relating to the post:

1) The theme of mirror is about “Satan’s mirror, which distorts all things so that good is evil and evil is good. When this mirror is shattered, its pieces are scattered across the earth, piercing hearts and spreading hate where there should be love. Contemplating the story, he wonders if any of those splinters are close to him.” and

2) “The Broken Mirror” is more than another Holocaust story. It is a testament to the power of the words written on our hearts when we are very young. Stories, songs and conversations can stay with us forever and words can be used for evil as easily as they can for love. Adults have a responsibility to give children words they can live by. As Katherine Paterson says, they give us life, growth and refreshment.”

Food for thought. I hope.

A more frivolous broken mirror link would be to all those fairy tales that feature broken mirrors. We all know “Mirror  Mirror on the Wall”….

As to last week’s Zoom:

This   is this  against a grey sky! Yes! A washing line (or rotary). Well done to everyone that guessed!

The Kindness Club

Hop over to Susie’s Kindness Club to find out more. Take a peak and see if you don’t want to take part?  This week’s prompt has been “hold open the door for someone”.

I will make it brief. I like photos, so I will try and do Susie’s prompts in photo style. I decided to focus on teaching values to my children. Here we have Red Ted and I engaging in some (PC) roll play. The girl decides to help the boy get out of the house with the pram. Lots of faffing, in comes girl, boy and baby emerge. Lovely.  Smiles and claps all round.

Teaching our children about kindness is just as important as the kind act itself.

Category: photographs

1. Fiona Erlandsen says:

I think this is completely true. Talking about it isn’t enough. I teach my son to be curteous to his two younger sisters not just because they need help, but because they are girls and that I like the old fashion gentlemanlike values. It is the most self satisfying thing when another parent compliments your children on their manners or social skills. It goes a long way, being kind is most definitely part of this. I like the roll play aspect a lot as I can get my girls to do the same interaction as they are twins and have each other.

2. Susie says:

Loved your take on this. I think our kids learn not just from what we say but from what we do as well. If we teach our kids correctly, the next generation will be a really kind one.

3. The Muse says:

very nice post.
    children will emulate what they see and hear…
    good examples are always the best :)

4. leslieanne says:

Lovely post – though the broken picture photo fills me with dread – thank goodness nobody was around when it fell down!

5. Michelle says:

Really like your take on the theme! And totally agree on what you are saying too. If we would be so busy being busy, because that is what society is expecting from us these days, it would be much more common to teach kids manners. But when parents being short fused because they’re stressed out (all the time) what message do you give kids then?

Thanks Michelle! Really appreciate your comments on the Kindness prompt! :-) Hope Red Ted does indeed grow up to be a kind boy! Hope to take him on charity work at some point soon… x

6. jfb57 says:

You could also have done ‘The Mirror is Broken’ by Agatha Christie! Great idea. Glad you didn’t break it though! Love the Kindness post as well! Love your 2-4-1!

7. Great you were inspired for The Gallery from a domestic mishap – every cloud….

8. Mirka Moore says:

Great shot. I’m glad there was nobody in the room when it fell ;)

9. Sandrine says:

Ooh I love this picture. It and your description really made me want to read the book. I think I’ll nip over to BetterWorld Books now…
    Also loved the kindness club activity and especially the fact that you are teaching it in a non gender stereotypical way! And I think you’re absolutely right – teaching our children to be kind is one of the best possibly ways for us to be kind.

It is definitely a though provoking one! Hope you like it!

Will try very hard to teach Red Ted, hopefully he will pick a few things up! The Kindness Club is really very helpful with its prompts. Susie picks simple every day things that are easy to forget!!!

x

10. Ihave not that novel but obviously your photo sums up the title perfectly! Let’s hope we can all take on the message that what we teach our youngsters now will help them to teach theirs and so on. Sometimes it feels as if some proper values have disappeared and I think tat is such a pity. I was always taught to believe that good manners cost nothing and I will be telling this and instilling it on Burton as he grows up.
    Great thought provoking post :-)

Thank you Jenny! Nice to be on the same wavelength!!! You sould check out Susie’s Kindness club – sometimes day to day things make us forget the small things in life and she is a good reminder to not forget those!

Thansk for comment!!

x

11. Him Up North says:

Is The Mirror is Broken and The Mirror Crack’d one and the same? Hmm, dunno! Anyway, I’ve never heard of this book. Sounds interesting. Great pic too. Hoping the seven years bad luck doesn’t come your way :-0

12. (HUN and Julia…It’s the Mirror Crack’d!)

Maggy
    1. The Gallery: Lovely post. That photo is gorgeous, I love it!
    2. The Kindness Club: Great take on the theme, teaching manners to kids is SO important and as parents we must do it and lead by example. It’s only a hop skip and a jump until they are teens and are trying to tell you other people don’t do it. If you’ve been consistent (or an old nag like me) you can just say ‘Well we don’t’ Kids respect boundaries and rules! Well done you. x

Thank you Christine… would be great to know “It is working”… guess once he, erm, is about 35 I will know!!!! ;-) will be doing my next Kindness Challenge with him too!!! x

13. Judith Green says:

Oh my goodness me…did you hear it fall? Gulp must have been terrifying! I don’t know about that book but will check it out.

Just read your leaf projects post too. Another lovely book about leaves falling from trees is Ferdie and the Falling Leaves. Lovely story.

Thanks for your comment on my post! x

Ooh, I will have to check out Ferdie and the Falling Leaves, thanks for the tip! And yes, we were downstairs when we heard the enourmous crash. I hoped it was next door, but knew it wasn’t! Sigh. Still. No one was hurt! Main thing!!!

14. awesome photo – glad no one was there when it fell! my brought a mirror for my 21st birthday but broke it before she could give it to me. I knew nothing about it until she gave it to me for my 28th birthday. she had kept it to save me from the 7 years bad luck!

15. bubbleboo says:

A lovely post, and a previously unheard-of book that is now being added to my must-read list :)

16. Paula says:

Fab image – scary thing to happen though. The book sounds really intriguing – must look it up, thanks

17. urbanvox says:

I think I’m gonna have to read that book!!!!
    0_o

18. MrsShilts says:

Your photo reminds me of when my hubby fell out of our shower ‘through’ the shower door, I have never seen safety glass shatter so much! 2 years on we are still finding the odd piece of glass in the bathroom…horrible horrible accident!

19. Fantastic idea – thank you so much for sharing it with the Play Academy. I agree that small world / role play can be so valuable to children – in lots of ways. We used it recently to prepare for some injections and we’ve also used it to get ready to stay at school for lunch.

Oh yes, great idea to use it to introduce new things too (like lunch at school).. hadn’t thought that far ahead!! Thanks for the fab new play academy! Will be another great resource for our kids!