The Gallery - Yellow Lemons & Kindness Club - Recycle - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

The Gallery – Yellow Lemons & Kindness Club – Recycle

| August 7, 2010 | 32 Comments

2 for 1 Saturday is back. The Gallery and Kindness Club in one!

The Gallery – Yellow Lemons (unprompted)

The Gallery Prompteuse is on holiday. So I will do my own prompt… as The Red Ted Gallery is open! And as I frequently combine my Gallery post with The Alphabet Thursday, I will use that prompt today. Alphabet Thursday is doing a Summer Rainbow and this week’s colour is YELLOW!

Jenny Matlock

I tried to take this as an opportunity to stop simply “pointing and shooting” and to learn a bit about editing in photoshop. I didn’t get very far. Here are my original photos, erm, cropped! I am sure we will be seeing many lemons this Alphabet Thursday… and I look forward to seeing the others!

Yellow Lemon

And whilst we are on the topic of Yellow, here is a painting I like by Franz Marc (Little Yellow Horse)

And some quotes:

“There is no blue without yellow and without orange.” van Gogh
“Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot; others transform a yellow spot into the sun.” Picasso

Ok… since posting my yellow post… there has been unprompted Water Theme.. Well.. I give you (Water) Blue + Yellow = Green with Dew Drops!

Previous Gallery Posts:

Playtime - Green & Black (Nature)Broken MirrorZoom - Holidays -  Pip Squeak learns about Emotions - CreaturesMotherhood (Yacht) – Who needs the beach when you have a ball? (Up up and Away) – Still life: Life’s Lovely Laundry – Symbol of Friendship (Xenophile) – Self Portrait by Red Ted – (My) Men – Enchanted Woods (Violet Woods) – Portrait – 7 Sins – Pride – Joy – Spring – Ugly – These should be in a Tim Burton film – Outside my front door (Watering Can) – Me – Colour (Red Ted’s Bunny)

The Kindness Club – Recycling & being Green

I was pleased to see Susie’s challenge for the week “recycle” – I am a keen recycler myself – and you may have noticed that my crafts and tutorials are peppered with it – Loo Roll Giraffes, Tea Towel Aprons, Baby Bibs , Fabric Mache etc.  My view on the topic is:

Reduce – Reuse  – Recycle

Many of us think that they can ease their conscience of “waste” by simply recycling once a week. But it starts way before then.

Reduce: Firstly, don’t use something in the first place – i.e. take your bags to the supermarket rather than taking a plastic bag there, albeit if you reuse it at home… Don’t buy unnecessary baby equipement that you “feel you absolutely need” (like a spare travel cot at Granny’s house). I am pleased to say that Red Ted associates going shopping with getting bags ready. Hurray. One mini lesson learn.

Reuse: Many things can be reused many times before actually being thrown away – hand me downs are a good example. But once a hand me down is beyond use, do you throw it away? Probably – you could however make something out of it – like a child’s toy or bib. My cousin recently told me of how she made a beautiful patchwork quilt out of her sister’s old PJ! Perfect. Red Ted and I reuse lots of things from around the home in our crafting. Like these penguins: Made out of my old deoderant bottles (full post here)! Or this Gingerbread man I made out Red Ted’s jogging bottoms.

Finished!

Recycle: only NOW does recycling come into it.  However (and I do fail at this and need to do it more), without purchasing items made from recycled materials (e.g. recycled toilet paper or black bin liners), there is no point in recycling, as your recycled waste needs to be made into something that needs to go somewhere. So, do recycle and start buying recycled!

Ok. Green rant over. Sorry!Previous

Being on Time – or Blogger Memes

Kindness to Neighbours

Open the Door – Values through Play

Military

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: photographs

1. Michelle says:

Well, some nice looking lemons I say! :-)) I like totally like your unprompted Gallery idea and will post one too later today or tomorrow morning!
    xo

2. Sandrine says:

Love the lemons! They remind me of a 17thC Spanish Still life I saw in the Sainsbury Wing a long time ago…

3. Lovely lemons! Glad to hear you are recycling and I adore those penguins! Have you read Cuddly Dudley by Jez Alborough? It’s fab!

4. Zingtastic lemons!! I love lemony things eg. Lemon cake, lemon sauce, lemon chicken etc… However, when I was pregnant lemon did give me indigestion!! Hmm strange but true!
    Anyway, that’s enough of my lemon waffle!!
    Well done for being the first to start this weeks pretend Gallery!

Ah thanks Jenny! Feel a little bit of a fraud as we ended up with the “Water theme” – I LOVE water photos… ;-) will have to play catch up!

5. Great water shot seeing all those droplets on the leaves like that. So now you have 2 entries well done you lol x

6. Ann says:

Loved the lemon photographs. I was using lemons yesterday to make a Dorset Apple Cake.
    Happy Week

7. Lola says:

Love the yellow in those lemons & Van Gogh!

Have a great weekend,

LOLA:)

PS Mine this time is OVER HERE. Hope you can stop by.
    ……………………………………………………………………………………………………..

8. JDaniel4's Mom says:

These shot are wonderful. I enjoyed the quotes too. I am planning to talk about recycling for green week.

9. Theresa says:

Really fabulous lemon shots!!!! Happy Yellow Day!

10. Jen C. says:

I think the photos of the lemons came out rely good! Love the contrast between the dark background with the yellow.

Those penguins you made are really cute :) Dont think I can recreate them with the deodorant that I use….

11. Mummy V says:

Great photos and all very cleverly linked! Love how you’ve captured the dew drops :)

12. OK, so I am off to search online for a print of the little yellow horse. I love it! I need a copy on one of my walls!

13. That makes me want to paint a lemon! Simple, yet beautiful. Nice post!

14. I love the lemons.. great shots..
    Patsy

15. Mirka Moore says:

Nice shots of lemons, I also have to do more with photoshop….just never seem to have enough time

16. Elaine says:

Lovely photo of dew drops they are so clear… looking forward to reading more of you blog

Thank you, yes they came out well – I took the photo a few weeks back, so nice to be able to “use” it!

17. Teresa says:

Such lovely lemons. I really do like the painting. Great yellow post.

18. Alphabe-Thursdays Rainbow Summer School UNPROMPTED!

I love it!

You are so clever and cool!

You are one of my heroes in blogland! I love your quirky and interesting way of looking at things.

Thanks for linking!