How to... Make Fabric "Paper" Chains (Guest Post) - Red Ted Art's Blog

How to… Make Fabric “Paper” Chains (Guest Post)

| April 8, 2011 | 20 Comments

Remember the wonderful and beautiful Helen from Ickle Babe from a few month’s back? She came up with this great way of “recycling” your child’s favourite t-shirt that they have either outgrown or that has stained or been damaged. It was fabulous and you must go and take a look. Helen really is a very crafty lady and always comes up with something original… so I asked if she fancied another Guest Post and fancy she did… even more importantly she came up with a fabulously fun idea! Fabric Paper Chains. Not only do they look wonderful, but they are a FABULOUS way to use up those fabric scraps you have lying around.. go Helen!  And if you like what you see, DO go and visit her shop and blog! They are gorgeous! Oh AND it is “No Sew”! Hooray! You could of course sew these if you fancy it…

Oh… and make these in red, blue and white and you have a FABULOUS Royal or 4th July Craft! Hooray all round!!

I’ve always loved bunting, it’s just so bright and happy. There is something very joyous and fun about it isn’t there?  But dare I say it,  *whispers quietly* just lately, I think it has become a bit  *done*. Everybody has their own unique way of making it and all the high street shops seem to be selling it this year. So I had this thought, what if you could have something just as whimsical and fun, using cute fabrics…just different?

And I came up with this, it’s a fabric *paper* chain. Really easy to make (easier than bunting I think) and it has a lovely homespun rustic feel. I used fabric scraps from quilting projects for this, but you could use anything. I think it would be really special if you used your children’s out grown favourite dresses or shirts as it would then be something of a family heir loom. And being as its all loops together, it’s kind of symbolic of  family too…but I am an old romantic!

Whatever scraps or shiny new fabric you use I think it would look great.  Hung over a fireplace, adorning a favourite  kitchen dresser or a surrounding a child’s bed. Just, shabby chic perfect! And no sewing machine necessary. Gotta love that!

You will need

• Sharp scissors
  • A selection of different pattered materials, all cut into oblongs about 6 inch by 3 inch

(this does not have to be exact, it just depends how big you want the loops in your chain to be )

• A sheet of BondaWeb (like big sheets of wonderweb, John Lewis or Ebay always has it )

So , start with one piece of fabric and iron down a thin hem (strip)  on each side like this…

Then place a piece of cut bondaweb in the centre, as long as the fabric and wide enough to just overlap each folded side. Iron down, peel back the paper and then sandwich the two sides together,

and iron down, You should now have a neat strip of fabric like this….

Now you just have to put a little square of bondaweb on one end to act like a the glue to make the loop. and iron that down in the same way as before.

Once you have made one loop you just repeat the process, always remembering to attach  one loop to the next, until you have your desired length. I made one long piece and doubled it over for a chunky effect. Easy and fun!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: How To's, No Sew

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Something for the Weekend – What Have I Done? | Thinly Spread | April 8, 2011
  1. Bev says:

ooh this is a fab idea! Great way to use some of the fabric scraps I have too! I think I also have some trusty “bondage web” somewhere! ;) hehe

2. Hehe Bev! glad you like the chains, I think I am gonna get some union Jack material and make some royal weeding ones…. think I have some *bondage web* left over too ;D X
    Ps. thanku again Maggie for letting me on here, again. I LOVE your site! X

Oh oh oh and girls: I had another idea: use Bias Binding and staplers and then wee ones can help too! (well careful with the staples.. but you know what I mean!)

4. Amy says:

Those are amazing.. Thanks again!

5. karen Jones says:

Oh ! I am totally loving this idea, it’s something I could even attempt, and a no sewing option for me, will pop off and find some vintage material to make some for my home.

Helen, you are far toooooo clever and talented and well done on the guest post on Mrs Red Teds prestigious blog : )

6. I love this idea. It is great to make them with fabric, then you can use them ourside to decorate too

7. What a lovely idea! It makes a pleasant change from bunting and I’ve got some gorgeous Spring fabric in my stash which would look fab like this! Thank you!

Karen & Helen – you two stop being so silly.. My blog is just the same as everyone elses!! Don’t make me blush!

9. Kanesha says:

So cute. Maybe I’ll do this instead of a baby blanket. :-)
    -Kanesha

10. Kizzy says:

I will definitely have a go at these. I love bunting and have thought about buying it recently but will give it a try before I buy some. Thanks for this.

PS someone twitter suggested doing some with poppers, then you can reconnect them in different ways/ make them longer and shorter. Thought it was a great idea!

12. Icklebabe says:

Oh yes, poppers would be perfect for kids too :) brilliant idea! X

13. Messy Missy says:

What a sweet idea. There are some favorite t-shirts that both I and my Munchkin have not wanted to let go of….but this tutorial just might save the day. Thanks so much for linking up to my Marvelous Mess party!! :-)

14. Mari says:

Two of my favourite blogs in one swoop! Can’t be bad when I’m in a mad rush like today can it?
    I adore this idea and as I’m doing my girls bedroom up at the moment it has given me some excellent inspiration, I Just Need Time, but you all know that anyway.
    Gorgeous

15. Nice to do this with clothes your kids have outgrown, as a kind of keepsake.

16. Robin says:

Thank you for linking up to Ucycled Awesome at http://www.thetshirtdiaries.com.

17. Rachel says:

Those are pretty :) A great idea for all of my fabric scraps!

Thanks so much for sharing this at For the Kids Friday Link Party! I will be posting the next party tomorrow night. I hope to have you stop by and join us for another week sharing great ideas for our kids!!

Thanks for stopping by!
    :)rachel at http://SunScholars.blogspot.com

18. Liz Burton says:

Oh my oh my – I like this idea a lot!

Thanks for sharing. x

19. mummiafelice says:

So gorgeous! Thanks for linking up :)