How To... make a Felted Button - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

How To… make a Felted Button

| June 3, 2011 | 24 Comments

If you ever thought linkys and bloghops were a waste of time think again.. through my prolific linking up, I have discovered many a wonderful blog – getting fabulous inspiration and learning new things. My Poppet is one such blog – I found the lovely Cinti from “Down Under” via The Creative Jewish Moms link up. It is every Sunday and there are some truly lovely crafts to look at!

I then went to visit Cinti’s blog and fell in love! For starters I want a Sewing Room like hers. Never going to happen! You will find all sorts from crafts, to thrifting to life as a mum and reviews. A beautiful blog, beautifully written.. or you may like here online store Poppet in the Post – just too cute.

Today Cinti shares her “How to make a Felt Button” tutorial with us! Felting is somethig I haven’t tried before and it is most certainly on my crafty to learn list. These buttons look perfect for a beginner! Can’t wait to give it a go.

Over to Cinti and “How to make a Felt Button”!

beginners needle felting

Here is an easy tutorial on making needle felted buttons that I created for the Haby Goddess newsletter. Jodie has a fantastic online Haby store and also writes daily sewing and craft hints on her facebook page. A must read, really worth a visit.

Needles ready?

Needle felting is a technique where you felt together wool fibres using a special barbed needle. By sculpting the wool as you poke it, the possibilities of what can be made are endless.

Here I’ve made a large wool button that could be used on a knitted garment or as a brooch.
Pay close attention to the pictures as the images form part of these instructions.needling felting

Finished size is 3.5cm diam and 1.5cm thick
You will need some wool roving, a felting needle and a foam pad & wool yarn to match garment
Take some wool roving and shape it into a round flat disk about 5cm diam and 2cm thick,
When you poke the wool it will firm up and reduce by a third of the original size.
Poke the wool with the needle and sculpt it into shape until it is firm and to the desired size.
Poke the disk a little more in the centre to make the classic button shape.
Needle 4 little holes in the centre of the button as a guide to sew the yarn through.

I recommend hand washing if used on a garment as machine or hot washes will further felt the wool.

I hope you enjoyed that tutorial, please feel free to leave a comment with your questions.

x cinti

Now is that for an “easy How To”? I am dying to give needle felting a go… and I guess if you do want to use the button on a machine washable item – you could make it bigger, wash it a few times and til it stops “felting” and “shrinking”! Thank you to Cinti for such a fab intro and “How to make a felted button”.

Tags: , , , ,

Category: How To's

1. mum of all trades says:

I love this idea.

I can’t to have a go myself!! ;-)

3. Your blog is so inspiring so it is great you find inspiration from other blogs too.

Oh my you are lovely! Thank you so much! I love crafts and I love learning new things…. Thank you!

4. Aly says:

That’s very cute! I’m into making fabric buttons at the mo’.Think felting will be on my list after crochet and knitting

5. Sandra Tyler says:

I just started needle felting, so love this idea! I’m doing “painting” felting at the moment, but I also do handwoven hand bags and these could be a nice touch.

Oooh Felt Painting sounds fabulous!!! Would love to see the results!

7. Cecily says:

Super cool! I’m gonna have to try this!

8. Judy says:

That’s crazy…I had no idea you could do that with wool! The button is darling :)

9. Reannah says:

Cute button! Very crafty & creative! :)

Judy – I know, felting is the mostmysterious wool converting craft!!!
    Cecily and Reannah – I also need to have a go – a new craft for me to try!

11. jill says:

Love these I think i would like to do an a version so i could use my hot gem gun and bling them up lol
    Thanks for sharing

12. Lovely Light says:

Hi- I love the button idea! When you don’t have something, make it! I would really love to learn how to felt. Have you seen these? (http://www.etsy.com/shop/kitlane)- not my shop, just inspired by it!
    Hope you’ll check out my blog at http://withoutcomplexities.blogspot.com

Have a great weekend!

Ooh I love the idea of adding bling.. and will have to check out Kitlane’s shop! Always good to get more inspiration!

14. I agree, I’ve met some lovely and inspiring people through blog hops!

The felted button project is wonderful. I’d love to make these with my girls!

I love the photo strip you have on your sidebar and am heading over to Laphotocabine to check it out!

Best,
    jenn

15. mummiafelice says:

wow, I LOVE!!! How clever! I’ve seen some fabulous idea using felt! I’ve never used it…much change that!

Thanks for linking up to Handmade Thursday!

16. min says:

I would love for you to link it up to my party that is running now. Any linky goes.

Come strut your stuff.

17. Mindie says:

I still can’t believe our first party had over 300 links. I have a special give away planned for linkers this week.

I would love it if you would grab the bacon time party button for your collection of link parties since it will run every Friday evening through Sunday night.

Thanks again, hope to see you soon.

18. Hi, friend! Can you please share your creativity again with us at the Creative Bloggers’ Party & Hop. Hope to see you there at the party :)