Quick Craft Post: Baby Shoes - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Quick Craft Post: Baby Shoes

| March 5, 2012 | 19 Comments

I came across these cute baby shoes from Stardust Shoes a couple of weeks ago. I looked at the pattern, and it sounded hard. So I typed “make easy baby shoes” into google and time and time again, the Stardust Shoe pattern came up. So I decided to bite the bullet and have a go. What do you think? Are my Baby Shoes cute?? Or just ok? Will they be a good baby gift? I have 2 baby girls, 1 baby boy + two of yet to be born babies to make gifts for.. shall I make more?

If you decide to have a go, here are some pointers:

1) My first easy baby show hurdle, was not knowing what “fusible interfacing” is. Interfacing (whether fusible or sew in interfacing) is “stuff” that you iron onto your fabric to stiffen it and give it more structure. Like in shirt collars or similar. Your local sewing shop or ebay will stock it and it is not expensive. First hurdle survived.

2) The next hurdle, was not understanding what an “easy stitch” is….. I figured it out in the end – it means slightly gathering the “larger material” to make it fit the shorter one. Apparently you can somehow do this with your sewing machine. After much fiddling I found it much easier to just pin my baby shoe pieces in place and suddenly it all worked.

3) The final bit, I may change next time – is the elastic of the baby show – you can see on mine, that it is pulled quite tightly (as per instructions), I think it makes the shoe look a little funny… what do you think? A tad looser next time?

Anyway.. I shall await your respons regarding making more baby shoes! Maybe this one just for girls? A bit twee for boys????

Tags: , , ,

Category: Gifts, How To's, Sewing

1. Cute! By looking at it I thought that the ribbon of the bow was what you used to tightened around the ankle. Reflex I guess since all slipper with elastics were always too big for Nico\’s ankle. That may work for you other pairs?

Ahhh you mean have a ribbon that you could tie and adjust instead of an elastic?

That is an idea! Thank you!

4. they are lovely! you are so clever Maggy!

Thank you Emma – I take that as a \”yes make more\”??? Are they too twee for a boy (would use different fabric of course)

6. Amy says:

I think they are wonderful. I would have used them for my little boy. The idea of using a ribbon to tighten/loosen them is a good one I think. After all all kids are different sizes and means you are less likely to lose them.Not something you would want to happen if they were a homemade gift. Keep crafting I love your blog

7. Vanessa says:

They\’re cute. I made these for a friend\’s baby girl. A really easy knit but I\’m thinking you could easily cut the T shape out of fabric and lining. The flowers make them girlie I think. In a boyish print they\’d look v different. What lucky babies. http://pruline.canalblog.com/archives/2010/01/04/16385448.html

8. Honest Mum says:

Beautiful and such a thoughtful gift for someone!

9. Julie B says:

How adorable! Definitely make more I\’d say! I work at a preschool and have noticed that the trend on girls slippers are the same style as these. The elastic might look tight but it means the size doesn\’t need to be so precise. Almost one size fits all x

Right! Thank you ladies, I believe I need to make some more!!!! :-)

11. Cindy says:

I think they are adorable! I think the elastic might help them stay on, my daughter is always looking for cute \”shoes\” for my granddaughter. Socks don\’t stay on and in the winter her feet get cold… I have made some from a pattern from Lena\’s patterns, they are cute and fairly easy to make, but the sizes are a bit small, at least for my granddaughters. She is on Etsy.
    Thanks for posting
    Cindy

12. Cameron says:

I love making baby shoes – but I don\’t care what they say, they are hard! It\’s such a tiny thing to be making, so even an easy pattern is difficult at this scale. I scaled this style up to make my daughter some slippers in US size 4 and it was much easier to make – and I didn\’t gather the elastic as much. And I have no idea what easy stitching is – glad to join your club:)

I think you are right, baby shoes by definition are not easy!! Just fiddly, but cute! Love the idea of making adult slippers!

13. Cute? They\’re priceless! I think any parent would be thrilled to receive them. You did a great job!

14. So beautiful. What a lovely gift for a new born they would make. x

15. Anne says:

love these!!!! but could we make them adult size??