Presents Kids Can Make - Photoframes for Father's Day or Christmas : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Photoframes (Presents Kids Can Make!)

| November 7, 2012 | 27 Comments

Presents kids can makeThe children made these simple photo frames for Daddy’s Birthday. They were simple, quick and inexpensive to make. We added a nice photo of each of them with Daddy and he now has these up at work. These would make great presents kids can make for Christmas or for Father’s Day too (or indeed make a nice Mother’s Day gift to **ahem**)!

I bought the frames a while back in Ikea, they were really cheap, but I am sure the discount shops have these too.

Presents kids can make

Materials: a simple inexpensive photoframe, acrylic paint (or normal paint + varnish)

1) The children chose their colours. I always try and encourage only 2 primary colours to avoid a big brown smudge. But they actually only asked for Red and Blue (and some white). I removed all the bits that we didn’t want painted (i.e. the “glass”, in our case clear plastic) etc.

2) Let the children paint and let dry. I do love seeing how different the kids paint – I am sure it is age related. Pip Squeak’s painting is very free, with lots of mixing of colours creating new shades. Red Ted’s is very meticulous and he takes great care to get it just “right”.

3) Add the kids’ names and ages on the back.

And finished. They loved painting, I think it is great to have presents kids can make – it teaches children about giving and making an effort rather than then encourage early consumerism.

Presents that kids can makeJoin the Kids Get Crafty linky party! Disclaimer: by joining the Kids Get Crafty linky – you give us permission to highlight any projects on Red Ted Art and Creative with Kids or share your craft ideas on Pintrest – I will always link to your site!

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, please link up!

Have you got any presents kids can make to share?

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: Christmas, Gifts, Kids Craft

1. Becky says:

It’s so hard finding presents for Dad, this is a great idea.

2. Pinkoddy says:

What a great idea especially with Christmas coming up.
    Thanks for hosting

Agreed Becky, I encourage the children to make as much as possible!!! More presents that kids can make to come!

4. Great idea. I love the concentration on their faces!

5. Genuine Jenn says:

I love this idea we were thinking about this or making a mug for the grandparents :)

Or both?! ;-)

7. The Monko says:

Hey Maggy, just linked up my knitting nancy skipping rope. I hope its OK that I made the one in the post. I though as it is a craft that can be done by relatively young kids it would still be relevant and others with older kids than my three year old might like to try it.

Of course it is ok!! Anything with and for kids is great!!! And great idea to make a skipping rope!!!!

9. Mary says:

It looked great fun and so much better to receive something made by the children than something shop bought, and so simple too.

10. What a great idea Maggy. Definitely one we will try . x

11. lol. I wish I had read this post back in the Spring when I had the kids make canvases for the house. Of course, yes, my preschooler made a nice big brown smudge. But usually he is the one who won’t even try to do a project so I thought it was sweet that he painted so many colors even though it didn’t turn out the perfect color. Well, now I will know what to do different!

Thanks Mummy Mummy Mum!

And yes, Bethany, yes, we are VERY familiar with the brown smudge :-) and it is sweet how they get so excited!!

13. Love these, got a little photo frame idea I’m working on too, inspired by my grandparents! I love getting the children excited abut photos xx

14. Very timely – am planning feet & hand prints as well as photos for various Christmas presents and these will be a great touch.

15. What a wonderful way to frame pictures! You can create so many wonderful on them.

16. Jason says:

Hi,
    I’m such a big fan of your blog and ideas, that I’ve nominated/awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award. My post is up, so go and read about me, my choices, and how you can award this to others:

Jason

17. Rebecca says:

That’s a lovely idea. Ibex they loved doing it too.

Thanks for linking to the Sunday showcase.

18. I love these, I bought the IKEA frames a long time ago and the kids have made them for a number of years, it’s lovely to see how their designs change with the passing of time! Thanks for linking to Festive Friday, this is a lovely addition! x

19. Thanks for sharing on Tuesday Tots! I LOVE kid-made gift ideas!! I am featuring your post this week on In Lieu of Preschool: http://www.inlieuofpreschool.com/2012/11/christmas-is-coming-ten-great-activities-to-get-you-ready-for-the-holidays.html Please feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Off to pin!! :)

Awe very much appreciated. Thank you!

21. Your children are so gorgeous and I love the look of concentration on their faces. It’s interesting to see how their approach is different.

I’ve just introduced my baby to painting and she loves to mix the paint and use a paintbrush in each hand! You can see her painting here – http://onlybestforbaby.com/blog/2012/12/painting-fun/

22. Gisele says:

Spot on, thanks for the info!