New Year - New Health with AXA PPP healthcare - Red Ted Art's Blog

New Year – New Health with AXA PPP healthcare

| January 21, 2013 | 32 Comments

My Health Goal for the New Year

I “don’t do New Year’s Resolutions”. Really, I don’t. But I do do, making changes. And one change, I want to make this year, is to start exercising again (yes, sounds rather like a New Year’s Resolution, but believe me it is not, honest). Before having kids, I was very fit – I used to swim or run 2 – 5 times per week (yes 5, can you believe it). Red Ted is now almost 5 years old, and I can count the number of swims on no hand (i.e. zero) and runs on two hands (I am guessing about 8). 8 exercise sessions in 5 years? Not good enough.

You will be pleased to hear – today I went on my first run. I managed 21 minutes! Hooray.

However, there are right and wrong ways about improving your health. And if you, like me, are working on any “health issues” in 2013 – be it exercise, eating healthier, cervical cancer prevention, a healthier heart, losing weight, cutting out caffeine or cigarettes, you may have some questions to go with these plans.

AXA PPP healthcare is here to help -AXA PPP healthcare has a great campaign Make a Smart Start to 2013 – open to members and non members, providing you with free advice and expert knowledge to answer all your health related questions.

More about Make a Smart Start to 2013

The start of a New Year is when we all take a long, hard look at our health habits and try to get into some better ones! We all know that making small changes is far easier to maintain than setting yourself big goals which you will give up by the end of January. So to help get together a plan that is right for you and will be easily achievable, AXA PPP healthcare is hosting a series of online health clinics at the end of January. Whether you are planning to improve your diet (and that of your family), or looking to get a better fitness regime in place then medical experts are on hand to help and advise. Or maybe you have a health problem or question that you would like answering or more information on? Then  this is a really good place to start…

There are 4 live chats this month and the topics are as follows -

·         Cervical cancer on Thursday 24 January 11 – 1PM  - with expert Mr Clark

·         Fitness and nutrition on Thursday 24 January 1 – 3PM  - with David Williams who is an expert in sports and exercise

·         Heart health on Wednesday 30 January 1 – 3PM  - with Sarah Evans the Learn Nurse Case Manager for the AXA PPP Clinical Centre

·         Pregnancy and caring for your children on Thursday 31 January 1 – 3PM  - with Jackie Hall, the Health at Hand Team Manager

UPDATE: THESE ONLINE CHATS HAVE NOW TAKEN PLACE

You can find answers to your questions online:  please click through to your relevant topic Cervical Cancer, Pregnancy and your child’s health, Heart health and Fitness & Nutrition.

If you have any questions for the experts simply join them on the day or alternatively you can leave your query in the comments below and we will pass it on!

MY QUESTION IS: I have a tendency to rush things – so I slip into my trainers and off I go for my run. Keeping this cold weather in mind,  how long should I warm up for to prevent injury? (I don’t want to warm up for longer than my actual run lasts!!

Can’t make the live chats?

If you won’t be able to attend our live chats, you can still have your questions answered by the experts! Just leave your questions in the comments below, or get in touch through Facebook or Twitter, and AXA PPP healthcare will get back to you with a response from their experts a few days after the online clinic ends.

And even better – all questions left will be entered into a free draw to win one of two pamper packs from The Sanctuary (both worth £75) so don’t delay in entering with your question!

T&Cs:

1) Open to UK residence only.

2) One entry per person.

3) Delivery of the prize is the responsibility of AXA PPP healthcare and NOT Red Ted Art.

4) Closes on 31st January 2013 at 11:55pm

Good luck!

Image tag

Category: Uncategorized

1. sharon johnson says:

10mmins to warm up xx

2. Clare says:

My husband and I take vitamins every day including a multi vitamin and vitamin C. This winter we have been coming down with all sorts of infections, throat, sinus and chest!! we can’t seem to catch a break and we are trying so hard to be in good health!! any advice?

3. Claire says:

How many times a week/hours a day should I be exercising?
    I have a lot of weight to lose.

4. ELAINE GREENALL says:

I got diagnosed with abnormal cells in 2000. I had a colposcopy followed by a loop excision. I had three call backs 6 months apart and was given the all-clear, however, I am still on yearly recalls. Everytime I ask why, I am told that this is the last yearly recall, but I get recall letters every year and just wondered whether this implied a higher risk of abnormal cells in future.

5. Gem says:

How can I improve my circulation? My hands are always freezing

6. Anna Ingram says:

How long should a single session of pilates be to be most effective?

7. Kelly Ellen Hirst says:

My daughter is 11 & consistently gets pain in her ankle, she does alot of dancing, coud this be the cause?

8. Laura Harris says:

What is the simplest ‘no exercise’ way of exercising? Walking, swimming or something else?

9. Donna Davies says:

I’ve only got a small amount of weight to lose to hit my target now (7lbs) why is this last bit so much more difficult to lose than when I was bigger??

10. Jess Chaney says:

How can I get rid of pooch?

11. Toni says:

Is it true that taking vitamins can affect your menstrual cycle and make it irregular? I was told this recently and was shocked.

12. shane says:

is breakfast still the most important meal of the day?

13. Andy D says:

Is walking the best way to gid rid of my spare tyre

14. Natalie White says:

For Sarah Evans (heart health) – Sometimes when I am resting I will get a small fluttering feeling in my heart which I think are palpitations. They usually don’t last more than a few seconds but have me a bit worried. Is it normal to have a few palpitations from time to time or should I see a doctor?

15. Helen Wakey says:

Hi, I’d like to know the best way to avoid osteoporosis? My Grandma has it and has broken many bones and has a crumbling spine. I really want myself and my daughters to avoid the same fate. Thanks very much, Helen

16. Solange says:

Is there an easier way to get your five a day?

17. Rebecca Fall says:

I’ve had a low red blood cell count in the past and had been perscribed iron tablets in the past and it went up. I still have low energy levels and wonder if its worth taking over the counter iron tablets to help?

18. Ashleigh says:

I am trying to lose weight by healthy eating and exercising too. I have 2 young children and no time to go to the gym etc. What is the best way of exercising? Anything that I can do that involves still being with my children would be great!

19. Pinkoddy says:

What a really good idea – that should help a lot of people.

20. Dawn Henson says:

I have a prolapsed disc. Which exercises should I not do!!

21. fi fi says:

I’ve seen the ads about cervical cancer vaccinations, but why only teenage girls? Can it benefit anyone who is older and if so how do I go about arranging this?

22. phillippa lee says:

I keep on hearing that in UK we need to take Vit D. Is this true and if so how much?

23. Cheryl M says:

Mine is a heart health question. My mother takes warfarin and her does alters very often. she is also asked to come for tests almost every week. The doctor suggested new oral anti-coagulant medication, but says although this would be a regular dose, and she would not need so many tests at the hospital, there are risks to it. Please may I have your views on Warfarin v NOACs? I do not feel able to make this decision.

24. cheryl lovell says:

I gave up smoking 4 weeks ago and expected to be coughing for weeks afterwards. However, I havent coughed since?? I cant understand this and thought I would be bringing up phlegm (egh)?

25. Kirsty says:

I’m currently eating a 1,200 calories a day to lose weight, I’m finding it simple and filling up with salad, veg etc. Am I damaging my body eating like this?

26. Alicia Roberts says:

I’m planning on starting a family soon, and I’m very into my exercise. How far into pregnancy can I continue to do low impact (pilates, yoga) and high impact (aerobics, running etc) exercise?

Thanks in advance!

27. My Two Mums says:

Is walking a mile just as effective as running a mile, longterm?

28. Mia says:

How do I make realistic changes – I start a diet and try and change everything but its not maintainable

29. Sarah says:

I want to get into running but don’t enjoy it when I go out at the moment. How long is it before I start to enjoy it :)

30. Jennifer Kelly says:

I really struggle to lose weight & to stick to an exercise regime. I normally put it off and blame my Crohn’s disease or asthma, silly I know. How can I motivate myself & are there any excersises I should avoid? x

31. Kate O'Neill says:

What are the best exercises for shaping up wobbly tums?

32. Erin S says:

Sometimes, my calf muscle feel hard as rock and I find it difficult to walk. It seems unrelated to exercise and I am only 34 years old ?! Any explanation ? Could it be simple water retention ?