Very PINTERESTing - Red Ted Art's Blog

Very PINTERESTing

| May 12, 2013 | 28 Comments

Pinterest is indeed INTERESTING. It has taken the world (!) by storm since it was launched about 3 years ago. In the US it is already BIG BIG BIG, many bloggers and non bloggers use it on a regularly basis to “book mark” websites and ideas they like and love in a highly visual and appealing manner. I know people who have used it plan weddings, redesign their living room or plan birthday parties. It is particularly popular amongst fashionistas, designers, crafters and foodies. But there are so many ways you can use it – it is a great way to store articles on parenting tips or days out in your local area. You can use it to book mark websites that offer technical advice (e.g. articles on better blogging or the latest WordPress Plugins) or legal advice (how to run competitions etc). Anything goes, your needs and imagination are the limit!

If you are not yet familiar with Pinterest, it is simple – imagine you have several endlessly big “pin boards” on your desktop. Each pin board represents a topic – say “children”, “food”, “holidays” – whatever grabs your interest. And when you see something you like online, you simply “pin it” to your board in order to easily find it again. Boards are public, so others can see what you are pinning – a great way to share with family and friends, but you can also create “private boards” that no one can see – e.g. if you are planning a surprise birthday party or research ideas for a project at work.

One of my favourite boards is my (rather generic) DIY & Crafts boards:

DIY & Crafts Pinterest

It is a great way for me to “remember” all those lovely things that I would like to make or give a go “one day”. It is also a “collaborative” board, which means, that I have invited fellow crafters to pin their finds to it too. So not only do I keep a record of projects to have a go at, but I also get new creative ideas “shared with” me via the collaborators. I also use it as an opportunity to share some of Red Ted Art’s favourite crafts with people who “follow” my boards on Pinterest. Creative Win Win all round.

Another favourite (if less pretty) board is my “Cooking with Kids” board. Over at Life At The Zoo, we do try and cook together regularly. I am keen for my children to grow up knowing their way around the kitchen. Again it is a “collaborative board”, which means that others share their cooking ideas with me via it.

cooking with kids

So. Are you on Pinterest already?  Yes? Great! Would LOVE to connect with you there – my profile is under Red Ted Art and Life At The Zoo.

Not on Pinterest yet? Then head over the ASAP and create an account. I think you will really enjoy it!

Pin It Forward UK 2013

This is part of a fantastic #PinItForwardUK campaign here in the UK – Pinterest is keen to see more UK pinners in coming months. So the blogging community is getting together to share more information about other bloggers and Pinners out there!

Next up is the wonderful Emma from My Little 3 and Me you can find her on Pinterest too. My Little 3 and Me is a lovely kids craft blog – right up my alley – I love the crafts she comes up with from adorable Incy Wincy Spiders to fantastic Cereal Box Dragons… I am sure you will like it. A taster of her Children’s Craft board:

kids crafts

Category: Uncategorized

1. I’m LOVING pinterest. A great sense of community is really developing on their platform – see you over there Red Ted!

2. Jennifer says:

Pinterest is so great for crafting – I love searching other diy and craft boards for new ideas. It’s now my go-to craft idea search engine!

3. Aly says:

I have soooo many boards now.I need to dedicate some time next week sorting them out.

4. Mammasaurus says:

Loving Pinterest, it’s just so pretty!

5. Pintrest is so fun – we love it too!

6. Helen Neale says:

Pinterest is utterly fantastic – and I love it, though I do find myself spending rather lot of time on there ;-)

7. Yay, it is lovely to see Pinterest EVERYWHERE all of a sudden :-)

8. Sian says:

Have to agree to loving pinterest too but find it a little addictive : ) now find myself bombarded with diy pallet ideas – who knew you could do so much with the humble pallet!
    So much to do so little time!

9. Mum of One says:

I too am a massive pin addict and love all of your craft boards Maggy!

10. Maggy, what a great idea to use collaborative boards to get new creative ideas from other crafters! I like the little booties pin, they are so cute :) Thanks for participating in Pin It Forward! Veronique, Community Coordinator

11. You can spend as much time as our mothers usted to spend on magazines. The point is not pinning everything you see. focus on something you need. I Teach Preeschool. One board per subject or skill, everything else let it go…

12. Liz Burton says:

I think I have you to thank for introducing me to Pinterest – so thank you!

13. becky says:

Ah isnt pinterest fab and you do it so well maggy

14. HPMcQ says:

it’s possibly the best thing in the world, other than my husband and child and of course your book Maggy!

15. SHERYL says:

Can you please help me, I can’t work out how to pin things which don’t have a pin button on their page. Is there some secret to it, or do I just have to save it to my desktop or pictures files first?
    I actually find pinterest a great extra resource in getting customers to my website, but I try to add interesting stuff and other people’s ideas to my boards too, so it’s not just one big advert. I’d like to see more UK users too.

No secret, you just have to “get used to” Pinterest (and they keep moving things around, which doesn’t help). But if you want to add website and you “only” have the URL – you go to the + icon on the top right hand corner (it is to the left of your profile avatar). Click on it and a drop down menu appears. Choose “Add from Website” and enter your URL. Pinterest will then “find” all the images and you pick the one you want to pin and add a description. Does that help?

16. I like this very colorful and fun!

17. Lyndsay says:

I follow you and love what you share!

18. Jen says:

Hey Maggie, love your boards, and love Pinterest. Really honoured to be a collaborator on your DIY and Crafts board and love seeing all the different pins there.

19. Helen Neale says:

Fantastic boards, though I knew that already – and a good introductory post to Pinterest – there are some wonderful ideas particularly on the DIY/Crafts board.

20. Emma says:

I can’t think of a social networking site more suited to you! Your boards are amazing! :D