Fruit Leather Recipe - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Fruit Leather Recipe

| October 20, 2013 | 20 Comments

I recently saw some Pumpkin Fruit Leather over on Google+ and thought yes! It is about time we made some! Especially since we also love to “want not waste not” – i.e. use everything we have and we also love to forage (we have a great Foraging Tips and Tricks video AND links for you). We also have a couple of friends with small apple orchards and when we are lucky we get whole bags full of apples! I also love how my husband totally poo-poo-ed these and then gobbled them all up. Ha.

Fruit Leather Recipe

The thing about fruit leather, is that it isn’t an exact science. You very much adjust your cooking times and sweetening according to the fruit you have and it is to personal taste. Which is great! As you don’t have to worry too much about exact quantities. I am looking forward to making Apricot Fruit Leather when we visit our friends in Austria next Summer. They always have plenty!

For our Fruit Leather we used:

• 12 Cups of Apple (we happened to find some GORGEOUS apples that had a RED flesh, giving our fruit leather a gorgeous red colour)
  • 3 Cups of Water
  • 6 Tbls sugar (you can replace it with honey, our apples were VERY tart)
  • 1 Tbls cinnamon
  • 1 Lemon
  • 60C or 140F
  • Baking Paper (or oven proof cling film)

This made 1.5 trays for us

How To Make Fruit Leather - chop the fruit

1) First we peeled and chopped all our apples. And place them with the water in the pan (roughly one cup of water per 4 cups of fruit)

How to Make Fruit Leather - keep the peel

2) Keep your peelings, as you can make vinegar with them.

Fruit Leather Recipe - mash the fruit

3) Cook until the fruit is soft and mash.

Fruit Leather Recipe - Sweeten and season

4) Add your spices and sugar to taste. The lemon helps preserve the COLOUR and bring out the taste.

Fruit Leather - Bake at low heat in oven

5) Now puree it as smoothly as you can. I used a hand blender. Then I placed it in our baking tray with baking paper. I made it about 1/8 inch thick.

6) Bake at 50c – you may want to have you oven open a crack – to let the excess moisture escape – especially in the first our or two. I open it occasionally, wipe away any moisture and it works fine.

7) Bake some more.

8) Bake some more…… it took about 8 hours for ours to dry out! Then when I started cutting it into strips, the centre was still soft, so I placed those back in the oven for another hour.

Fruit Leather

Store in an air tight container and ENJOY!

How To Make Fruit Leather

How to Make Fruit Leather Collage! PIN ME!

Tags: , , ,

Category: How To's, Recipes

1. Mum of One says:

I had no idea this was even possible. How brilliant!

2. Yes, it worked! I didn’t realise it takes so long to cook. Looks lovely :)

3. Amanda says:

Yes please. I have been looking to make these for a while but have been a bit put off by the time, though when I am on holidays I can spend a whole day at home watching them cook :-)

4. Emma says:

Wow, do they taste like roll ups??

Love the poo poo-ing and then eating too :-)

5. Jenny Shine says:

Wow! It is my first time to see this snack! Looks delicious! Is it hard??

6. Ananasa says:

We absolutely love this recipe, you never know what goes in the store bought ones, so to have this on had is just amazing!

Thank you for this delicious post!

Ananasa.com- Home For Handmade

7. Oooh do you think it would work with other fruit?

Yes, absolutely! I have heard of people making it with (sweet) pumpkin, apricots and grapes. The main thing I guess with something like grapes is not to add more water, as they are v watery already. The key thing is to be able to dry them out!

8. iGameMom says:

wow, I did not know you can make it. I loved it when I was young. I am keeping your recipe!

9. Stacey says:

I am going to make this today. My son is going on a self catered hike with scouts over the weekend and this will be the perfect snack.not to heavy to carry and won’t squish. How long does it keep in an airtight container?

10. Bek says:

I’ve always wondered how to do these! They look great! Thank you for sharing :-).

11. Laura says:

We’ve made several versions of these – one of our favourites! It’s fun to combine fruits or add spices, like strawberry/cherry, raspberry/peach (strain some of the seeds out though – otherwise raspberries are too gritty), pumpkin pie. They have all been great!
    I love how red your apples were!

12. Lea says:

If you have a food mill, you can simplify your prep time by just removing the blossom ends of the apples and chopping without coring or peeling. Then when the fruit has been cooked to softness, run it through the mill with your finest plate and it will separate out the peels, seeds, and any stems that were in the mix. No need to peel, core the apples or blend the results. We also like to do combinations such as by including some late season strawberries in the mix. We’ve also had good luck using grapes to replace both sweetener and water.