In our house we really do love a new book – especially when it is beautifully illustrated, is wonderful to browse AND has some interesting facts! There is a brand new book out all about magical beasts from mythology: A Miscellany of Magical Beasts (US/ UK)! If your kids (or the big kid in you) love myths, legends and magical creatures, then this book makes a wonderful gift. Packed with information about centaurs, trolls, harpies, unicorns, werewolves and many more, this book not only brings together fascinating “facts”, but more importantly BEAUTIFUL illustrations. Allowing you to get drawn into the world of fantasy and myths, as well as sparking off the imagination and losing yourself in a world of make believe.
“It is a beautiful, luxurious gift book showcasing a fascinating menagerie of creatures from the world’s timeless mythologies and legends. Presented in an incredible package with spectacular cover finishes, it is sure to be treasured by fantasy enthusiasts and kids alike.” – Bloomsbury Kids
Did you know that – the claws of a griffin are magical – they change colour to warn of poison nearby!!
I love how some of the pages have shapes cut into them that add to the illustration. Here there are 4 stars.
Others open up into a full 3 gatefold (what an amazing dragon!)
To celebrate the launch of this incredible book, we once again have a fantastic drawing competition for you.
Get your child’s drawing of a magical beast of their own imagining turned into a professional and unique piece of art by David Wyatt, one of the illustrators A Miscellany of Magical Beasts. How amazing your child’s art look turned into a professional drawing framed on the wall of their bedroom?
Each week we will be showcasing entries on the Bloomsbury Tumblr page! Be sure to watch out for them!
- get your child to draw a magical beast
- photograph it/ scan it/ copy it
- send us a copy by leaving comment, including your child’s age and the image on the Bloomsbury Kids Facebook page!
- OR share your drawing on Instagram using the #MagicalBeasts hashtag – remember to add the age of your child!!!
- the competition closes on the 27th November 2016.
- be sure to revisit Facebook and Instagram to see if you have won!
So what are you waiting for?! Get drawing!
Get your copy in time for Christmas today!
By Simon Holland
Illustrated by David Wyatt, Kev Walker, Gary Blythe, Nelson Evergreen, John Howe, Mike Love, Helen Ward, David Demaret
Terms & Conditions
- One entry per child.
- Children must be under the age of 18yrs old.
- Open to UK, ROI, US and AUS residents.
- Competition closes on 27th November 2016.
- The winner will be announced by the 10th December 2016.
- A winner will be selected by the A Miscellany of Magical Beast team and decisions will be final.
- Distribution of the prize is the responsibility of the Wilderness Agency.
Full terms and conditions: bit.ly/MagicalBeastsArtCompetition