How to... make No Sew Lavender Bags/ Pillows! - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

How to… make No Sew Lavender Bags/ Pillows!

| July 23, 2010 | 53 Comments

Love the beautiful lavender around this time of year? Think it is a shame when it all goes to waste in a few weeks time? Don’t have the time (or inclination) to sew a lavender bag or little lavendar pillow? Look no further. No Sew Lavender Bags are here.

This is so ridiculously easy, that I am not even sure it is “worth writing a tutorial” about. If you have seen my no sew bunting or no sew apron, you will know what I am on about and hopefully agree with me.

Materials: What you will need is some pretty fabric scraps, wonderweb (or BondaWeb in the US?), dried lavender (cut fresh lavender, place in a paper bag and hang to dry), a hot iron & two tea towels (to protect the iron and ironing board).

Step 1) Cute out two squares, but “wrong” sides together – i.e. you will not be turning these inside out. Pretty side out pleased!

Step 2) Place strips of WonderWeb along 3 sides and iron hot until it is properly sealed. Turn round and iron reverse, just to make sure it is really bonded

Step 3) Fill with lavender

Step 4) Add fourth strip of WonderWeb and iron hot. The fourth strip is the trickiest, as you will not get the central and therefore hottest part of the iron on it, so make sure you really have melted the WonderWeb. If necessary, let cool and repeat

Step 5) Trim edges to neaten.

Variations:

For him: I used old shirts and jeans

For her: Iron on a piece of ribbon (using wonderweb)

For hanging: add a ribbon “loop” to one of the first 3 edges, so you can hang from a coat hanger (only thought of this AFTERWARDS)

ENJOY! And happy smelly drawers.

(PS make these now and use as fabulous stocking fillers near Christmas or surprise someone by sending one through the post!)

Featured on:

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: How To's, No Sew

1. jfb57 says:

This is such a great post! How simple! I love lavendar but because you only need little bags have always felt it too fiddly to bother! Brill!

2. Michele says:

sweet and simple, and, aaaaaah, smells so good!

3. Hi there! Thanks for stopping by! Of course you can post my projects on here! And thanks for linking back to me! I would be honored. You have great ideas on your blog. I love it!

4. coloradolady says:

What a great idea!!

5. Another great idea! I have several kinds of lavender in my front yard right now, you’re inspiring me to get out there and keep them. I love that smell. Thanks for linking up to Finished for Friday.

Oh yes you must I am tempted to knock on one of my unknown neighbours doors and ask for some of theirs (in return for some little bags) ;-)

6. Great idea, good tutotial, perfect gift for a special person.

7. Natasha says:

This is a great idea and one project that even I could handle-thanks for posting it!

Best wishes,
    Natasha.

8. Chari says:

Hello…

Don’t you just love the “no sew” method of things? Hehe! This is truly a quick and easy project but with a fabulous outcome! I love little lavender sachets! I looked for lavender at our local nursery this year…to no avail! Of course, I live in the “sticks”…and we don’t always have a wide variety of options when it comes to plants and flowers. Maybe next year! Thanks so much for sharing this great project with us for Sunday Favorites today…great post, my friend!

Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

Oh what a shame… but if you are lucky enough to a have a neighbour nearby with lavender…. Thank you for hosting fab link up party! X

9. Miss Bloomers says:

Great idea…I must make these for gifts…want a great idea! Thanks for sharing,

Miss Bloomers

10. Beeutiful by Design says:

What a great idea! I love smelly drawers- oh – you know what I mean :) Jennifer

11. Happier Than A Pig in Mud says:

A cute fast project, very nice!

12. Dee says:

I have a ton of lavender in my front garden right now, and it is just starting to turn a little brown so this is perfect! No sew is right up my alley!!

13. Nestygirl says:

What a cute idea! I love lavender, it’s smells so pretty and clean!

I’m visiting from I Made the World Cuter Monday. Have a great day!

14. So fun, I love that it is no sew too!

15. J. Hill says:

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

16. Wonderful! I used to put lavender sachets under my son’s pillow to help him sleep. I LOVE lavender! Thanks~ Clarissa (I found you on Anything Related!)

Yes, I was thinking of putting it in my children’s bed. Lavender is so calming! Will have to make some more! Enjoy making some!!

17. MessyMissy says:

Ok, I’ve gotta try this Woder Web stuff. And, I absolutely adore lavender. I fill my house with the smell. It is so calming.

18. What a great idea. I love the smell of lavender and it’s such a great kids craft idea! Of course you should post it!

19. We appreciate you joining us this week at Anything Related!
    {Rebekah}

20. ldyjarhead says:

I don’t sew, but even I could make these in a jiffy. What a cute idea!

21. Audra says:

Awesome! I sew everything but I might just have to try wonderweb, just to mix things up a bit ;)
    This would be a great gift for my mom! Thanks for socializing with me Monday til Sunday.

22. Ok, so I totally need to pull some of that out and fix my pants, that is a really neat thing to do and the stocking stuffer idea is great! Thank you for linking to It’s Stinkin’ Cute Craft Thursday!

23. Nova says:

Brilliant! I like the no sewing involved. Just paid a fortune for some….damn it! Must look out for lavender because we don’t have any in the garden.

24. Just an easy and wonderful idea! I actually purchased some dried lavender and have some left from a project. woohoo!

Perfect! :-)

26. ShannonSews says:

I love lavender – perfect way to capture and save that lovely scent!

27. angie says:

love it how simple and cute perfect craft for me

28. I can just smell this now! I am not into sewing so this is such a great idea for me!

Thank you for linking up another fab idea to the Sunday Showcase – hope to see more at tomorrow night’s linky party!

Bernadette

29. I just planted some lavender bushes in my front yard…can’t wait to make some of these! Thanks!

30. Maggie says:

This is perfect for drawers…
    I’m inviting you to add this to our linking party at
    Have a great week,
    Maggie

31. As someone who can’t even sew a button on but loves the aroma of lavender, this is a fabulous idea. Thanks for the tutorial. I think even I will be able to manage this one!

CJ xx

Hooray!! Have fun and I did like making these.. having said that, I have since become a sewing convert…

(Maggie – thanks for the link up invite.. have joined!)

34. Marianne says:

Oh, my, how perfectly easy and delightful, Maggy!! WonderWeb strips! – Oh, my goodness, I’ll have to get that! Amazing – COL (chuckle out loud)..What a wonderful idea. Thanks for the tutorial.

Have a glorious day,
    Marianne

35. Hello! I’m Kassandra @ Coffee and their Kisses. I featured this here at my blog. I hope you’ll stop by and grab a featured button. Thank you for sharing this with us!

36. Going to have to give this a go. We’ve had a bumper crop of lavender…

37. Amanda says:

Hi Maggy! I just wanted to tell you about my newest blog :)

It’s called Fun Family Crafts, and it’s a library of craft tutorials geared at kids of all ages. I would love it if you’d stop by and submit this to be featured! (I link to you, I don’t post your tutorial on the site) Feel free to submit as many kid friendly craft tutorials as you like! http://funfamilycrafts.com/

38. mummiafelice says:

No sew? Ohhhhh this is *perfect* for me!!! hehehe! Love this idea!

Amanda – Yes yes yes! Will come and submit! Thank you for the invite :-)
    Was on holiday so all a bit behind!

Mummiafelice – have another “no sew” coming this week!!