How to.. make felt donuts! More felt food! - Red Ted Art's Blog

How to.. make felt donuts! More felt food!

| July 30, 2010 | 36 Comments

I am on a mission to make a whole grocery bag full of Felt Food for Pip Squeak’s 1st Birthday – so far I have one Gingerbread Man, 8 gorgeous Strawberries and 3 donuts (or doughnuts, depending from which side of the pond you are visiting)! I am yet to make some Cream!!! Here I will show you How To Make Felt Donuts – 2 with sprinkles and 1 with icing.

The basic donut is always the same, the only thing that differs, is the decor! I am also pretty certain you can follow my steps below and use a sewing machine, I chose to hand sew!

Here we go:

felt donuts

Materials: 2 circles of donut colour (cream or brown), 1 circle of icing (blue, pink, brown), thread to match circles of felt, beads or embroidery thread for sprinkles, extra thin strips of felt for icing donut, stuffing (I used plastic shopping bags), stencil of sort – cut out of card, or I used a lid slightly smaller than a CD and the thread bobbin

Step 1) Cut out three circles the same size. Cut out three holes in the centre. I used once a tupperware lid for the circle and a thread bobbin for the centre. Make sure centres are aligned. You may find it easier to make a card stencil first to make sure they all match perfectly

Step 2) Fold single colour (i.e. icing) into a quarter and cut a wiggle line. Open, trim a little if needed, but don’t cut away too much.

Step 3) For sprinkles sew on beads/ “nuts” first,then attach the icing onto one of the donut pieces (cream felt) with a running stitch. For the Choc& Nuts: Do French Knots – shown how to here. I LOVE the French Knot Donut the most as it is VERY tactile and safe for my one year old (better than the beads, which are dangerous, she will not be allowed it at first). For the swirly icing, I found it easier to sew on the pink first and then add the swhirly bit: A very thing strip of felt sew on with a running stitch. The felt may break, so be very gentle.

felt donuts

Step 4) Put the right sides together. I found it helpful to use pins to hold the central hole into place – avoiding any skewing/ misalignment. Sew all around the edge, leaving a 1-2inch gap

Step 5) Turn right side out

Step 6) Sew centre, I used a blanket stitch, but I am sure any stitch will do

Step 7) Stuff

Step 8- Sew gap shut. Again, I used a blanket stitch

Like I said, my favourite is the “Choc & Nut” Donut, as the French Knots are very tactile and safe for 1yrs olds!

felt donuts

Enjoy playing!

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: How To's

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Decorating Presents With Felt | Zing Zing Tree | May 20, 2013
  2. 50+ Fun Kids Picnic Ideas - Kids Activities Blog | March 10, 2014
  1. Michelle (Utterlyscrummy) says:

What a fabulous idea! My 3 girls (aged 3, 7, and 10) could all help make these, great school holiday craft. Thanks heaps for posting it. MWAH! :o)))

Hurray! I bet the 10yrs old in particular would like this (I remember making things at that age!). You could even do it with the sewing machine…

2. jfb57 says:

You are such a clever lady! A whole bag of groceries?!! You could use these to hold long hair in like scrunchies!

3. Oh these are just fab! I love them. Yum!

4. Oh what fun! I love felt food. Thanks so much for linking up to Finished for Friday.

5. These are some great tips… next time I attempt these- it will go so much smoother because of this. Thank you!

6. Anne says:

Those look great! I made some felt cupcakes this week, so I’m on a bit of a felt food kick at the moment. :)

7. Very cute!! Felt food is adorable!

8. Staci Johnson says:

Those are deliciously cute!!! Love that idea;)

9. Jill says:

Just found you through Sew Cute Tuesday. Great felt food! and it looks like you have many other great ideas! I’m off to explore your blog some more!

Hi Jill! Thank you for your lovely comment!!! Do have a good nosey around – so much “stuff” – get lovely people to contribute amazing ideas, great if they get more visibility!!! Enjoy.

10. Scraps says:

So cute! These would be great as favors for any sort of bruch get-together, in “flavors” to match the theme.

11. J. Hill says:

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

12. those are really nice!!!! thanks =)

13. I need to make these, definitely! What else are you going to make?

One of my girls turns two this month, so I’d love to do a kitchen/fake food set. The felt food is always so much more appealing than the plastic stuff at the stores.

Thanks for the tutorial!

14. Audra says:

ADORABLE!!! SOOO AWESOME!
    I’m going to be featuring this tomorrow!

15. amysb963 says:

Thanks for joining us at “AP Tuesdays!” @ New Nostalgia! Hope to see you again tomorrow!

16. I love the idea of using plastic bags as stuffing!

17. Briana says:

I have not done donuts yet, but fried eggs are super easy! good luck on your quest. :)

18. angie says:

good enough to eat but nice that we can look at it with no calories
    come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

19. karen says:

Perfect for my sons kitchen- I hope he doesn’t eat them! Come and share this at Workshop Wednesday!

20. Love love love these!!! How clever!! I’m hungry now lol!!

Thank you for linking up!

21. Ooh another lovely idea – these are fab! Following now so I can see what else you come up with

Lakota x

22. Julie says:

Those make me hungry but they are super stinkin’ cute!

23. Oh… I hate sewing! :( But I sooo wanna make these! :)))

24. The question is…are they gluten-free donuts? lol…

Great idea!

Thanks for linking to Creative Juice. Hope to see you back again this week…