Kids Get Crafty - Chalk Ghosts & Satsuma Lanterns - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Get Crafty – Chalk Ghosts & Satsuma Lanterns

| October 20, 2010 | 39 Comments

Hello! Welcome back to Kids Get Crafty. With Halloween JUST around the corner, I really did need to get on with it and do something seasonal with Red Ted. We haven’t really “done” Halloween yet, so we kept it simple. Some pumpkin drawings and a cute cute little Satsuma (!) Lantern (though adults need to help make these!).

Satsuma faces a5

First to our book

Apples and PumpkinsApples and Pumpkins, by Anne Rockwell. Read together age 18mths – 3.5yrs

I picked this book, as I wanted a simple story that didn’t jump straight into the theme of Halloween – Red Ted doesn’t really understand yet, so wanted to introduce it to him “somehow”. This is a sweet (American) book telling the story of a little girl going to pick her Halloween pumpkin (in good American tradition, in the UK, we of course go to the supermarket). What we liked about it, is that the book also tells the story of autumn whilst preparing for Halloween. It makes it feel as if Halloween is almost like a party, so I think it introduces it nicely – lots of getting ready and then going out al dressed up. Red Ted enjoyed look at the pictures – on the farm we saw a cow, turkeys, geese and chickens which all need to be discussed! He then pointed to the ghost and said “What’s that?” Me: “A ghost” Red Ted: “What’s that?” Me: “Shall we draw one?” Red Ted: “Yes!” On to our craft.

Our Craft – Chalk Ghosts & Satsuma Lanterns

Ok, I confess. This was a totally “failed” craft session, in that Red Ted drew one line. But I don’t think it was REALLY failed… I thought we could draw some simple ghosts with chalk on coloured paper. Red Ted watched intendly to what I was doing and told me “what to do next”. “Draw a tummy now” – to which I explained that Ghosts don’t have tummies. He then pointed to the book, where you could see the shoes of one of the children dressed as a ghost and said: “Shoes!”. I had to concede and drew some shoes! Then he asked for a Jack O’Lantern from the picture, so I added one…

As mentioned, we used coloured paper and chalk, which you can apply easily and quickly. I am pretty certain,that if we try this again in a day or so, he WILL have a go. He often refuses to take part in something new, but always watches and insists that “Mummy do it!”. So he does want to see it, just is apprehensive about taking part…. so. Although, I have “nothing to show” from Red Ted himself (save for one photo, where he is drawing a line), I do think this was a great intro to Halloween for him.

Especially since I also made one of these out of a SATSUMA!!!! Yes, the humble Satsuma, doesn’t it look rather effective?! It is small and non threatening and Red Ted loves it. And it costs just one candle to make, as you get to eat the Satsuma too! A bargain!

Mini Satsuma Jack O’Lantern

Materials:  2-3 Satsumas or mandarins (try and find ones with ‘a loose’ peel), knife, spoon, nail scissors, tea lights.

mini jack o'lantern

1)  Use your knife to slice the top off the Satsuma.

cute halloween crafts

2)  Scoop out the flesh – it is easier to push the spoon in and out between the flesh and the peel, rather than moving the spoon around. If you create a little tear, don’t worry, you can incorporate it in the final design by cutting some zig zags into the top.

mini jack o'lantern

3)  Give the peel a good wash and make sure all the flesh has been scooped out.

cute halloween crafts

4)  Using your nail scissors, cut your face into the Satsuma shell. As the Satsumas are small, simple designs are best.

6)      Add a tea light and make your little lanterns glow.

You will find that the peel will dry and stiffen, maybe even curl in a bit after a few days. This isn’t a bad thing, just different! You can always place a little object inside to prevent too much curling. It depends when and for how long you want to use them.

cute halloween crafts

Have a Happy Halloween!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Category: Autumn, Halloween, How To's, Kids Craft

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Apple printing pumpkins | NurtureStore | October 20, 2010
  2. Gen X Moms Blog - Life as a mom over 30 | October 22, 2010
  3. Red Ted Art's Blog » Blog Archive » Book Review: Witch Craft | September 29, 2011
  4. Jack’o’Lantern: idee dal web « Elefante a pois | October 25, 2011
  5. Red Ted Art's Blog » Blog Archive 50 Halloween Crafts & Ideas » Red Ted Art's Blog | September 27, 2012
  1. fabmums says:

Those satsuma lanterns are so cute! I will try do make some too since pumpkins are not so readily available where we live:)

2. Oh I sooo understand the ‘one line’ issue. I’ve learned that toddlers love crafts but totally on their own terms! My 3yo enjoyed painting the dragon’s tail, but for the rest of the time just cut up yoghurt pots. But I guess that is creative too and he was happy so I don’t mind!
    Gorgeous little lanterns. I never thought to do this with Satsumas. I just bought our 1st net full this week, so definitely going to have a go at that! Lovely!

MJM.

3. Michelle says:

Hi ya! Sorry hun, had never heard of a Satsuma before(embarrassed)but I love it and want one! In the NL Halloween is still pretty new. November 11th was a kids event with similar features such as trick or treat and dress up.
    So I might get me a Satsuma lantern in the window sill and get candy for the kids:-))

4. Love the satsumas! L was a little scared of our pumpkin last year, so this is a much friendlier option.

Yay! Glad you guys like the Satsuma pumpkins! I am rather partial to them myself… esp since you get to eat the satsuma anyway!!! mmmh. They do go a little stiff and wrinkly after a few days, but I think it just adds to the charm!

Michelle – on Nov 11, we also have St Martins day in Austria/ Germany and we do a lantern walk (watch this space for Friday’s post…). Glad you may give the Satsuma a go!!! Yay!

MJM I hear you!! We often have craft “strike” days… but I swear, he always watches and enjoys the outcome, therefore I think it counts as crafting together ;-) x

7. jayne says:

I just love the satsuma lanterns.

8. Susan Mann says:

The laterns are so cute. I’m so going to make them. x

9. Becky says:

Very cool! its an early halloween party for us to day 5 little 3 year olds. Will post some party pics!

10. JDaniel4's Mom says:

Laterns are such a great idea! I love think the book looks great too.

11. Susana says:

These lanterns are so fun and so cute! Thanks for hosting this and for sharing such creative ideas and fun books each week.

12. Charlene says:

Love the lanterns! Hope Red Ted feels better real soon!!!

13. Discovering Montessori says:

The lanterns are really cool!Love the book. Thank you for sharing.

14. Hootin' Anni says:

I love everything Halloween….the craft ideas are spooktacular.

My Halloween Mantel photos are now published if you’d dare to drop over when time allows.

15. miri says:

Very clever lanterns! Much friendlier looking than jack-o-lanterns :)

16. JDaniel4's Mom says:

Thank you so much for linking to Read.Explore.Learn. I love your idea of using an orange in this project.

JDaniel4s Mom – oh these are a Satsumas (Clementines or Mandarines), not oranges… but I guess it could work with an Orange?! Mmmh.

:-)

18. diane says:

My kids would LOVE to make these lanterns! Great FRUGAL idea- love it!

19. I love this idea. Much for fun and lots less mess than the pumpkin route. THanks!

20. Love the little carved satsuma. How adorable! We have been reading that book for Halloween and this craft adds a little fun project! TFS! I’ll be featuring this today – stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase – I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Oooh, thank you Stephanie! Will indeed come and grab a button! Maggy

22. angie says:

the lantern is very cool when i was at a shop recently I saw a real pumpkin lantern very cool

23. Natalie says:

We have many projects that end up being “mommy do it” projects even at a ripe age of 4. We read that book and enjoyed it a lot because it was “not scary”. Thanks for joining WMCIR!

24. Adele says:

some fab ideas on here. we will certainly be doing them this week ready for Halloween. x

25. Lisa says:

This is so cute and creative. I love it.

26. Barb says:

Just wanted to let you know that I “ Featured” you on Santa’s Gift Shoppe Blog Hop today for your great project & inspiration! Thanks so much..
    Barb

27. I have found that Halloween related books appropriate for little ones are indeed scarce. That’s actually what my next FMBF post is about! I may link back to this choice! Thanks as always for linking up!

Anne – thank you for the FMBF mention!!! Love your blog and weekly book meme! And love that you stop by every week too!

29. I love this idea.. That is a really great idea for little kids to do. Thanks for sharing your idea.

30. What a great idea! I will try it with my girls. Z is allergic to citrus unfortunately. I will get him a little squash!

Thanks for linking up to Science Sparks.

31. Oh I remember you doing this last year! Thanks so much for linking it and reminding me of its wonderfulness! x

32. Ally says:

That is adorable! How ‘sweet’ are these =) thanks for linking to momstown arts and crafts!

33. We don’t have satsumas here but we do have some tangerines! I saw something the other day using orange bell peppers. So many cute ways to make mini jack-o-lanterns! Yours are adorable!

Thanks for the link at the blog-hop! And there is a badge in the left margin of my blog if you’d like one! :) Thanks, again!

34. sandie says:

HI :) I have had so much fun looking at your craft ideas, got a programme to do on wednesday and was feeling uninspired..all abotu recycling.. feeling calmer now, orr to buy a bag of manderins:) I’m sending you an internet hug and a HUGE thanks for sharing