Kids Get Crafty - Winter Trees - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Get Crafty – Winter Trees

| January 12, 2011 | 51 Comments

Now, I was inspired by the amazing Valerie of the Frugal Family Fun blog. She regularly comes up with beautiful and creative crafts for kids – who says that kids crafts “have to be ugly” or just a load of mess? Valerie made these lovely trees with her girls and I also decided that this would be great opportunity to let Pip Squeak “paint” again since her first go back in the summer. She has been DYING to have a go every time her big brother paints, so I thought these would be perfect for her. She loved EVERY minute of it, save for my saying “No, don’t eat paint!” (which made her cry brielfy) and then the final “now we must tidy up”.

The Book

Winter-Wimmelbuch Winter Wimmelbuch, by Rotraut Susanne Berner von Gerstenberg.

I love “Wimmelbuecher” – they are the German equivalent of “Where’s Wally”, but there many many different editions and versions and you don’t (always) look for a Wally, but for lots of different things. Don’t speak German? Don’t worry you can still enjoy these books. They are great way to develop vocabulary (German or English), as well as spending time looking at things quietly and in detail. This is one of four Wimmelbueche exploring, well the four seasons. As we’ve just had some snow, it has been really fun looking at the Winter Wimmelbuch. You can see all the bare trees and the people in their hats and scarves. You can look for snowmen and snowploughs. You can look into some of the houses and see what people are  up. There are certain characters that appear on every page and you see them wandering through the book and others that cross over into Summer or Spring. Fabulous. We adore these books.

The Craft

Painting winter trees, allows the children to get messy and still give you a pretty tree at the end!

Materials: Paper, masking tape, paint, brushes

1) I decided to tape the paper to the table to make it easier for Pip Squeak

2) With masking tape then create a tree shape on the paper – Red Ted and I did his together and I did Pip’s for her

3) Start painting. Get messy and have fun.

4) Let dry

5) Once dry carefully remove the masking tape. And finished!

(Thanks Valerie for a great idea!)

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list.

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Tags: , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Winter

Sites That Link to this Post

1. It’s a snow day! | Spit Spot | July 21, 2012
  2. Passion for Paint Spotlight - Just Paint It Blog | February 28, 2014
  1. fabmums says:

What a lovely sight your two kids crafting together! We know by now that Red Ted is a young artist and Pip Squeak seems to enjoy the paints too! Lovely craft:)

2. Jill says:

Haha – we did this same craft this week too. I haven’t gotten around to sharing it yet but I’ll be sure to post and share mine next week. Yours turned out great.

3. Jessica says:

Such a great idea!! Just a quick question – what kind of paint(s) do you recommend for children? Any brands that you have found work best? Thanks!

In the above craft I used Ikea’s own paints. I have to confess, that I am “unconventional” and don’t always use the “best brands for kids” – some of them I find, are really boring and the finished effect isn’t as nice. So… mainly I use acrylics or Ikea’s….. but that is just me! I need to try out different types – ones that are more child friendly!

5. I love the shadow effect. Tape is a really great idea.

6. maryanne says:

I thought that craft looked neat on Valerie’s blog!

We did messy painting this week, too =)

7. We will be doing this today! My son was looking over my shoulder while I was looking at your post and is now wanting his own tree. Thank you for sharing!

8. I showed Emily and she said “That painting looks FABULOUS!!!” :-D How wonderful! So happy to see your little guys happily painting — it really made my day! xoxo

9. SnoopyGirl says:

Great craft idea! I always love a good book with a craft or fun themed meal.

10. I love this craft. It was a great idea to tape it down for them.

11. abbie says:

We love doing tape painting. I had my older daughter do a big sign for her little sister when she was born. We spelled out her name and welcome home! That was back when I was just a mom of one and had lots of time for crafting and the mess of paint! HA!
    Looks like the kiddos are having a good time.

12. Susana says:

As always wonderful art projects from you!

13. Christy says:

I love your pictures! The kids look like they had a great time.

14. Hi from waddlee-ah-chaa. Thanks for stopping by and visiting our Snowy Day art adventures.

My children love art. And I agree children’s art can be beautiful and also unique to them. I love setting them free to create.

15. SnoopyGirl says:

The trees are really cool. I will have to try this with my kids. Thanks for sharing! :-)

16. I Love the craft! The book sounds fun. Thank you for sharing.

17. Janelle says:

Tape works so well for making magical pictures. My kids are always so excited to see the picture when we pull off the tape.

18. B says:

Love the trees! We did the same craft last year at Easter with a cross and it turned it out great!
    Per your comment on my blog: My pastor’s son works at our local movie theater and gave me the big bag of popcorn!

19. Your such a fun mommy and I know I’ve said that before but every week you do something so fun! Great craft!
    Thanks for linking this up today! :D

Hope you have a great weekend!
    Jennifer

20. Michelle says:

Thanks for letting me know about your fun link up. I’m happy to join in the fun. What a great craft. I know my two would love the surprise of their picture changing once you peal back the picture. I’m thinking I might do a spin on this for a valentine’s craft with a heart!

21. What a great painting…love the effect!

22. Hootin' Anni says:

Awwwwwwwwww, this was such a sweet share, I really enjoyed watching the whole painting process. Just darling.

Come on over to my show n tell [link]

Happy Weekend!!

23. Amy says:

oh I love it when books go with the ideas…
    Thanks again for linking up…
    Have a great weekend..

24. Jenny says:

That last picture is hilarious. I love this idea. If they’re going to paint and get messy, at least this one has such a great, “mysterious” reward at the end.

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments! Yes we did have fun and like the ideas of making “names” or other fun crafts like this! We will definitely be doing it again!!!

26. This is a great idea and SO many possibilities!

27. Jackie says:

My 2 year old loves very detailed books. I’ll have to see if I can find this! The painting is beautiful. I’d love to try that with him.

28. Monica says:

What a fun craft! The painting turned out great.

29. This series of books sounds wonderful. JDaniel loves the I Spy series of books.

Thanks for linking up to Read.Expore.Learn. I Stumbled this post.

30. Sharon says:

Lovely idea and think we will also use this for our Valentines Cards and Pictures as well – Thank you for the inspiration

31. Renee says:

I love how you used the tape. Great idea!

32. Beautiful trees! I’ll have to suggest the books to my step-sister and her husband just moved to Germany!

33. I love that craft! And I love that last picture! Too, too cute!

Thank you everyone! We had fun – Pip Squeak certainly did!! And I am inspired to start painting more with her!!!

35. meninheira says:

Maggy, so sorry for no linked, all my little ones have “gripe” and this days was horrible!! Gracias a Dios, they are all good.

Un besito muy grande
    meni :*

36. Natalie says:

This last picture is so adorable! Thanks for joining WMCIR!

Oh Meni – hope your little ones feel better soon! You must be exhausted!!!

Maggy xx

38. What a great creative experience, thank you for sharing. And thanks for linking up at We Play this week.

39. B says:

I linked to you today because we are doing this craft this week!

40. Another fabulous project! Can’t wait to try this with Grandson. I just scored a bunch of Crayola supplies for 75% off at Walmart! He was thrilled!

We’re also going to try a Valentine’s project I saw on Martha. Crayon shavings on waxpaper hearts, then iron (w/presscloth) and hang in window. I have to do a dry run 1st because he always wants to do what I do. No cutting yet, no sharp peeler, no iron. I know – I’m a worry wart, but better safe than sorry!

Thanks for joining the party at Passion for Paint last weekend. I hope you’ll drop by again soon with another great project!

Oh, I have another happenin’ going on at Feng Shui Savvy – Clean in 15! ’cause 15 minutes is about all the time I want to spend cleaning ;)

Oh Colleen, the crayon heart sound fabulous!! I may have to give them a go!!!

Maggy

42. Gale says:

Thanks so much for the invitation! I thought I’d wait for Wednessday and post on the next Get Crafty…but put your button on my post already to remind me. I love seeing all the great ideas!

43. adele- monkeying around says:

They look like they had loads of fun doing this activitiy. I like that you stuck the paper down for them to make it easier, the pictures turned out beautifully. Thank you again for linking up.
    Adele xx

44. Becky from babybudgeting says:

I always fdo paintitng just before bath time hop you did too!!! Looks tons of fun as always you are an inspiration my love x

45. Ally says:

I love \’resist\’ painting – it\’s like magic when you take off the tape, and you never really know what it will look like until you do! Thanks for linking up to momstown arts and crafts.