Kids Crafts: Flower Cards - Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Flower Cards

| April 18, 2012 | 25 Comments

Mother's Day CardsWelcome back to this week’s  Kids Get Crafty and our FIMO Flower Cards! I love these cards, as they are great for small hands to make and a great way of letting them have a go at what can be quite tricky: FIMO (or polymer clay)! But of course you can make these cards out of anything – circular stickers, funky foam, card, felt (ooh that would be lovely)… anything. We just happened to have rather a nice batch of FIMO from the lovely Craft Merrily and we wanted to make different things from it. If you want to learn more about Polymer Clay or get more crafty FIMO making ideas, do check out their website! (PS I am not in any way obliged to blog about FIMO nor to link to Craft Merrily – they re simply a great crafty resource site that helped me reawaken my love for FIMO!).

Mother's Day Cards

We used our cards for a friend’s Birthday and for Granny at Easter. But I think they would make wonderful Mother’s Day Cards too!

Materials: FIMO (or similar), card stock

1) Form balls in three different sizes. Don’t make them too large, as you will flatten them next. I found that once I had “softened” the FIMO for Red Ted (4) first, he was quite good at manipulating it himself. He got VERY good at making balls! Pip Squeak (2) love the squishing bit… but couldn’t do too much more.

Mother's Day Cards Mother's Day Cards

Mother's Day Cards

2) Squish the first ball flat. Place second on top and squish again… repeat with third. Your first flower head may be huge and rather squashed looking, but am sure you will get the hang of it quickly.

3) Make a stem and add – again, Red Ted enjoyed rolling out the FIMO that I had already softened for him.

FIMO cards

4) Bake in oven as per instructions (approx 120C for 30minutes)

Mother's Day Cards

5) Glue onto coloured card and that onto your card stock. Done!

Spring activities

Join the Kids Get Crafty linky party! Each week Creative with Kids and Red Ted Art host this kids craft linky, bringing you more readers and more ideas to browse!

Disclaimer: by joining the Kids Get Crafty linky – you give us permission to highlight any projects on Red Ted Art and Creative with Kids or share your craft ideas on Pintrest – we will always link to your site!

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, please link up!

What are your favourite Mother’s Day Card ideas?

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Card making, Flowers, Kids Craft, Mothers Day

1. becky says:

cute and simple and great to have in you r card stash!

Thanks Becky! My mother in law got one for Easter and “loved it” ;-)

3. Pinkoddy says:

What a great idea. I’m teaching him F this week so may make this flowers with play doh with him.

4. These are so cute and really simple. Would be good for Father’s day! x

5. These are so cute. I haven’t used FIMO since I was a teenager I really should look into it more.

6. Esther says:

This is so cool Maggy! and I love the idea of using salt dough too! that’s giving me an idea to make peacock feathers

7. Jennifer says:

They are lovely! I also haven’t used Fimo since I was much younger, I need to get some!

I have to confess the smell of the FIMO really “took me back” – great to rediscover it again too ;-)

9. Crystal says:

Hey Red Ted Art- I love stopping in and linking up if I have something to share. I love getting the new ideas. I accidentally linked up my Crock Pot Ham & Beans. I’m not sure what I was thinking. Sorry about that. I wasn’t sure how to delete it! Thank you! Crystal

10. Taylor-Ann says:

How cleaver is this. I love it and would love if you showed it off on my link party.

kampenlane.com

~Taylor

@Crystal, have taken the post off for you! No worries!

12. Ali says:

Gosh, I had almost forgotten FIMO entirely. I used to use it all the time as a kid. Thanks for the reminder, I love your flowers.

13. Isil says:

These look lovely Maggy. I remember reading polymer clay is a bit toxic so you need to bake them outside in an oven that you only use for this, for safety. Don’t know if it’s true or not though. Any thoughts?

Ahem, Isil, no idea!!!! Good question!

15. What a great way to use fimo! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

16. I’m hyperventilating – love FIMO! I secretly bought some for myself when I was at the craft store last year even thought it was relatively expensive. I so remember it from childhood. Love what you did with it. Maybe I’ll share mine with the kids. Maybe :-)

17. So cute!! Thanks for sharing them!

18. Love these and shared them over at Life Your Way yesterday http://motherhood.yourway.net/kid-made-tile-coasters-for-mothers-day/ I need to get some FIMO!

Oh thank you for the feature!!!