How to... make Cookie Monster Puppet Flannels - Red Ted Art's Blog

How to… make Cookie Monster Puppet Flannels

| June 29, 2012 | 26 Comments

You know I love a bit of “reduce, reuse, recycle”. Nothing better than taking something old and making some new, giving it a new lease of life – like our Cookie Monster flannels, made from the children’s old baby towels. We have passed on a number of baby towels to other children. But these were feeling quite old and stiff. No new parent would want these for their precious newborn… I decided to dye them and make flannels. YAY!

cookie monster

Materials: old baby towels & dye (or coloured towels), fabric crayons(I used these) or pens, iron (for fixing pens), needle and thread

cookie monster flannels

cookie monster puppet

1) Dye your white towel in your desired colours. I used hand dye from Dylons and found it easy enough! Follow the dying and rinsing instructions and give them a good wash in the washing machine.

2) Cut out two large circles per monster, approx. 8cm in diameter. Using your fabric crayon add a pupil to the centre.

3) Cut out your cookie monster shape. I did these roughly using my hand as a guide…. you can see that our resulting monsters are different sizes! Paint on a face.

4) Fix your crayons/ pens as per instructions. In my case, I had to iron them on!

cookie monster puppet

5) Shaping the eye. Sew a running stitch all around the outer edge of the eye, gather it and secure. This creates an eye about half the size but slightly three dimensional. Repeat for second eye.

6) If need be hem the bottom of the cookie monster (I did for the blue ones, but had a towel hem for the pink ones). And then sew your monster halves together.

cookie monster puppet

7) Add your eyes. DONE!

Enjoy bathtime. We will! And have fun with your Cookie Monster Puppet!

Tags: , , , ,

Category: How To's, Recycling

Sites That Link to this Post

1. How to Make Puppets [Puppet Theater Review & Giveaway] | October 1, 2012
  1. What a lovely way to use up old towels! They’d be great to give as presents!

Awe thank you… I made them all a bit of a rush.. so they are a bit uneven. But the kids love them!!

3. What a fantastic idea! These look like so much fun and the result is amazing :-) We’ll definitely give this project a try…

4. Kelly Wiffin says:

This is a fantastic idea! I have just thrown away (recycled) a load of towels too. :(

5. These are sooooo cute. I really want to make some (unfortunately the Frog is still using his baby towels so I’ll have to wait a bit!)

Maybe you can find some in the charity shop @Kelly

And yes.. The Fairy, wait you must ;-)

7. These are super fab :)

8. Love how these are baby-safe, too! Great job, Mama!

Awe thank you :-)

10. Liz Burton says:

Oh wow these are so brilliant!

Ruby loves the Cookie Monster. I have a whole heap of boring white flannels I used to use as nappy booster pads, these would be so much more fun in the bath.

You are clever!

11. Deb says:

These are fantastic. My son is mad on Cookie Monster; I can’t wait to show him these. Thankyou.

12. dawn says:

This is a great way to recycle! Just my kind of thing. Thank-you for sharing this idea, I will be making use of this in the future!

13. Pinkoddy says:

Brilliant idea. I have indeed pinned it to my popular reduce, reuse, recycle board.

Aaah thank you for the pin!

15. becky says:

I like these Maggy I have baby towls still even though mine are 5 and 8 can’t bear to part with them!!

16. Love your monsters, Maggy! I’m still working on my sewing skills. This looks like a project I can handle. Thanks for sharing at The Sunday Showcase. :)

17. Great job, adorable! thanks so much for sharing on Craft schooling Sunday!

18. Love it! My hubby loves all puppets especially the cookie monster! This will make his day lol xx had to share as it’s so fab! x

19. Angela says:

Adorable – my kids wouldn’t have a clue who the cookie monster is but I’d love one!

Ah yes, there is that… they don’t really know who cookie monster is!! But The Englishman and I are enjoying them! ;-)

20. louise says:

These are adorable! And a great way to get the kiddo to start bathing himself a bit more!

21. How fun! I love that you used old baby towels!

22. Clemencia says:

How adorable! thanks for sharing your talent and creativity with us :)