Hi! I’m Chelsey from Buggy and Buddy, a site where you’ll find meaningful and engaging activities for kids- especially ideas related to art and science. I’m so excited to be participating in this year’s 31 Days of Love Series on Red Ted Art! Today I will show you how to make Marbled Polymer Clay and will use this marbled polymer clay to make adorable little Heart Charms for the 31 Days of Love series. These marbled hearts make wonderful Valentine’s Gifts for Kids to make!
I love doing crafts both my 4 and 7 year-old can take part in which is one of the reasons I’m a huge fan of these marbled heart charms. Kids at any age will enjoy the process of marbling clay. It’s such a fun sensory activity that’s almost mesmerizing to watch. And turning the colorful clay into special heart charms always makes the kids feel so proud. They can be given as special, little gifts to parents from kids or made into bracelets and necklaces to wear on Valentine’s Day!
Marbled Polymer Clay Heart Charms
Materials for Marbled Polymer Clay Heart Charms
- Polymer Clay (We used Sculpey III – get some here —> US/ UK (affiliate links)
- Mini Heart Cookie Cutter (like these US/ UK)
- Rolling Pin
- String (like this lovely Baker’s Twine – get some here –> US/ UK)
Directions for Making Marbled Heart Charms
1. Choose two or more different colors of polymer clay. Roll each color into a long, skinny snake shape using your hands.
2. Twist the snakes together into one piece and roll it out into one long snake with your hands.
3. Bend the snake together and twist again. Roll into one long snake.
4. Continue this process until you are happy with the design in your clay.
5. Use a rolling pin to roll your marbled clay until it’s about 1/4 inch thick.
6. Use a mini heart cookie cutter to cut out a heart shape.
7. Use a toothpick (or other small item like a cocktail straw or end of a paintbrush) to make a hole in your heart charm.
8. Bake according to the directions on your polymer clay packaging.
9. Tie a string through your finished charm!
Be sure to stop by Buggy and Buddy and check out some of our favorite activities for kids!