Disclaimer: this post is sponsored by The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization
Oooh, “The hills are alive with the sound of music” tra-la-la-la-laaaaaa. I don’t know about you, but we have had lots of time to catch up with some of our old movie favorites and have a good ol’ sing a long, too.
If you love The Sound of Music and its gorgeous tunes, why not have a go at this themed Pop Up Card?! It comes with a free printable!
Aren’t they gorgeous? You can add your favorite song lyric, whether it is “the hills are alive with the sound of music” or “climb ev’ry mountain.” You can customize your cards, with music notes, dancing girls, cats and more. Your call.
I am particularly excited about this craft, as The Sound of Music has a special place in my heart. Did you know that my grandmother lived on the very same street that many scenes from The Sound of Music were filmed on? I have hung out of those very same trees as the von Trapp children. The “front” of the von Trapp house used to belong to my great uncle, too. So as a family, we are VERY familiar with this fantastic movie and its gorgeous songs!
The Sound of Music Pop Up Card – Materials
You will need:
- Our free The Sound of Music Pop Up Card printable
- One extra piece of cardstock
- Scissors (and a craft knife)
- Scoring tool and safety mat to score the lines before folding
- Coloring pens for coloring in printable
How to Make Your Pop Up Card
The card is best suited for age 8 and upwards. We encourage you to make this a family craft. After all, it is music enjoyed by all age groups!
PART I – The Making of the INNER PART of the Pop Up Card
We will start off with the inner part of the Pop Up Card.
First of all, you will need to decide whether you want to have your inner card say “Climb ev’ry mountain…” or “The hills are alive with the sound of music…”.
Then you can choose to start coloring first and then cut out the card parts or the other way around – cut first and then color. We decided to score all foldable parts and cut pop up tabs first, then color and cut out the parts.
- Download and print out the templates
- Score all dashed lines
- Cut the lines for the pop up tabs (on main frame parts A & B)
- Color in all parts of the Pop Up Card
- And then cut out all relevant inner parts of the Pop Up Card (main frame, part A & B, female figure)
We will now prepare the main frame part so we can then glue Part A & B and the female figure on to it.
- Gently push out the pop up tabs and carefully fold those previously scored lines.
- Now fold the main frame card in the middle. You will have previously scored that middle line, too.
- Add glue to both pop up tabs Part B and attach Inner Part B to the main frame.
We will now attach Inner Part A to the main frame of the card.
- Fold Part A along the dashed line.
- Add glue to the downward facing side that will not be glued on to pop up tabs Part A.
- Place Inner Part A on to lower end of main frame (see picture).
- Add glue to pop up tabs Part A on main frame and press Inner Part A on to tabs until dried.
PART II – The Making of the OUTER PART of the Pop Up Card
We will now decorate the outside of the card.
- Prepare the extra piece of paper/cardstock by folding it in half.
- Choose the pictures of the printable accessories that you would like to decorate your card with on the outside.
- Color them in and cut them out.
- Place them on your card and arrange to your liking before gluing them on.
PART III – Bring Outside Part & Inner Part Together
- Place the Inner Part inside the halfway folded and decorated cardstock.
- Add glue to one side, making sure the inner part side with pop up tabs lies right on the middle line of the outer card and close shut.
- Open the card again, add glue to the other side of the inner card and close the card.
If you like you can now add the female figure holding on to her hat. We placed her on Inner Part A, but you can move her around and see where you think she would fit best.
And this is what our completed The Sound of Music Pop Up Card looks like:
It turned out beautiful! How about yours?!
Hope you enjoyed this Pop Up Card and that you will have a go. So cheerful!