Have a go at watercolours with kids this Valentine’s Day and make some adorable Watercolour Heart Cards! A wonderful Handmade Valentine’s Day Card that Kids will love to try out!
Welcome to Kim from The Educators’ Spin On It today. Kim shares a lovely Valentine’s Day Art project – or Valentine’s Day Card with you today – Water Colour Hearts. They are super cute and it is a great way for kids to get arty and try out water colours.
Hello I’m Kim Vij, a teacher, a mom and Pinterest Consultant. You’ll usually find me over at The Educators’ Spin On It where I love sharing ways to make everyday moments into learning opportunities. A big thanks to Maggy for inviting me to return to 31 Days of Love Series for 2015. I had a lot of fun sharing our Winter Birds featured in last year’s series. Today I’m sharing with you a fun watercolor hearts project that kids of all ages will love to create for someone special.
Watercolor Hearts Card
A colorful way to share your love this Valentine’s Day, using your child’s creativity create a one of a kind tree of love to give to someone special.
Valentine’s Day Card – Materials
- Paint Brush
- White paper
- Blue paper
- Black Marker
Water Colour Heart Card Directions
1) Using watercolors encourage your child to paint onto the white paper. Encourage them to have lots of fun with this. The paint needs to be bit more wet on the paper so that the next process will work.
2) Once you’ve painted your paper it’s time to spring on the salt. Take a moment to observe the changes to the paper as it’s added. Allow time to dry and set. The salt will give it a special effect that alters the colors and also gives a little bit a shimmer to it. Shake off any excess.
3) While the paint is drying it’s time to cut out your birch tree. Depending on the age of your child you can encourage them to do it on their own, you can draw a shape to cut out, or you can cut it out and have your child put the glue on the paper.
4) Glue the tree onto the card that you’ve created from the blue paper folded in half.
5) Take the dried water color paper and cut out hearts. For older kids encourage them to do it on their own for younger kids you can trace hearts on the paper of the paper to cut our or cut for them.
6) Glue the cut hearts onto the tree on the front of the card. Arrange them so that they appear to be hanging off the branches.
7) Draw a string from each heart to the branch so they look like they are hanging hearts.
8) Have your child write a Valentine’s Day message to someone special on the inside or hang up in a frame in your home. This card makes a perfect Thank you card too for the holidays.
Have fun and be creative this Watercolor Heart Card for Valentines’ Day with your child. You will find that you will have lots of extra hearts so take advantage and decorate the house too. Valentines’ Day can be so much fun to celebrate with your child. Here’s my Top 10 Reasons why I love celebrating Valentine’s Day with my child. Happy Valentine’s Day.
For more Valentine’s Day Ideas visit The Educators’ Spin On It
Kim Vij is an early childhood educator, speaker and mom of three. She shares her “Educator’s Spin” on parenting issues and how to make everyday moments into learning opportunities at The Educators’ Spin On It and award winning Pinterest Boards. You can also find Kim on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram.
You may enjoy these 25 Valentine’s Day Treats! Take a peak
More great Handmade Valentines Cards here: