How to... make Fabric Pom Pom Flowers (Guest Post) - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

How to… make Fabric Pom Pom Flowers (Guest Post)

| May 28, 2010 | 27 Comments

How wonderful! Anji over at the Pom Pom Emporioum has made this WONDERFUL tudorial for us! Scroll down to the bottom, to see my “quick and ready go at it”! And now to Anji:

Hi my name is Anjie, over from PomPom Emporium)  doing a guest blog exchange with Maggy.

Fabric flowers – Alliums from pom poms

Last week I wanted to make some pom poms from fabric, in particular try out some purple organza I had. I have noticed fabric pom poms seem to be a popular decoration at weddings at the moment, I get a lot of hits on my website from search engines looking for fabric pom poms for this purpose.

To start with I tore the organza into long strips (the width of the fabric) of about 1.5cm wide, tearing makes the fabric nice and ‘hairy’. From the strips I made my pom pom in the traditional way, winding the fabric round and around two cardboard discs.

The finished pom pom looked like an Allium flower, it just needed a stem.

Wooden skewers from my kitchen fitted the bill, just the right size, a quick coat of green acrylic paint and I had a stem.  I  was very pleased with the result so I made two more. White pom poms given the same treatment might look like dandelion seed heads.

Aren’t they simply GORGEOUS? I love the so simple idea of painting the stems by holding them in place with blue tack. I tried these with “normal” fabric and it doesn’t work, as it is too thick! So it really has to be organza – especially for that whispy look. Not having any organza and wanting to give everything a  go, that I post,  I did it with some tissue paper: Not as amazing, but still pretty. Thank you Anji for your FABULOUS post! Please DO pop over to Anjie’s as a “thank you” and explore the other wonderful things she makes!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: How To's

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Birthday sewing and new ideas » | February 6, 2011
  1. Andy Porter says:

How cute! What a great idea! I’ll definitely have to give it a try! Thanks for linking to Poppies at Play! Have a wonderful summer!
    XOXO,
    Andy

It is lovely, isn’t it? Anjie is very clever!!!! Love linking up!! Thank your for “hosting”!! x

2. Love using the organza! So pretty!
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

3. Olivia says:

Very cute idea!

4. Love those pom pom fllower thanks for the how to
    Your turned out so pretty!

5. What a great idea and so simple. Love it.

6. Nikki says:

Awww, thats really cute! How sweet would a big vase of those be in a little girls room?!?!?!? :)
    Thanks for linking up to gettin’ crafty on hump day! :)

7. Jennifer says:

Love these with the organza! So pretty!!!

8. angie says:

what a cool craft and so pretty there are so many different colors you could use there would be a rainbow of flowers

I love the idea of a Rainbow of flowers!! We are currently all into rainbows (rainbow cookies next week! Yum!)

9. Sherry says:

That is too cute! It looks like something I might could make and I’m not crafty. LOL!

10. Teena says:

cool! Happy Transformation Thursday <3

11. very pretty, wold love these as a package topper flower. thanks for sharing at “AP Tuesdays!”

12. Summer says:

Thanks for linking up! I featured your idea on my blog today! Come grab a featured button!

13. just wanted to let you know i featured this post today. thanks again for linking up to “AP Tuesdays!”

14. J. Hill says:

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

15. Now this is fabulous~ Well done!

16. Kim says:

Awesome! And thanks for the reminder! I used to make yarn pom poms this same way with the CDs but never thought of the fabric – uber cool! I like your blog and I’m now following you too! I’ll be back soon to see your next clever idea!

17. Very pretty, it immediately caught my eye…and so simple to make too.
    I’m a new follower from the Mad Skills blog hop. I’m still looking around (so many crafty things to see here :))

18. mummiafelice says:

wow, I love them!! so pretty!!

19. Liz Burton says:

I made some of these a while back when I first saw this tutorial on your blog.

I can confirm they are super-easy and highly effective – although I wound too much fabric and mide where a bit too ‘thick’!!

Ooh Liz, that is lovely of you to come back and let us know :-) I now have some lovely Organza that a kind friend sent me.. so I can finally make some!!!!! xx

21. Strung together, these would make a lovely garland!

Thanks for linking to Creative Juice Thursday…Hope to see more of your ideas this week!