Great stART: Piep Piep Piep or making watches with toddlers - Red Ted Art's Blog

Great stART: Piep Piep Piep or making watches with toddlers

| July 7, 2010 | 53 Comments

Welcome to another story+ art = great stART (for more on “start projects” visit the original A Mommy’s Adventure). I was fretting a little about this week’s story & craft project, as I have a couple of “complicated ones” up my sleeve, but also want to keep encouraging everyone to have a go. Mess is good. But no mess is also good.

And then Red Ted pulled this book from the shelf! And inspiration came!

Piep, Piep, Piep: Das Buch der Töne und Geräusche Piep, Piep, Piep: Das Buch der Töne und Geräusche, by Soledad Bravi. Originally in French, so get that if German is no good for you!  A lovely (soft?) board book – it has many images of different every day things and all the sounds that they make. I particularly like it that the “plug says – no no no!” and that the christmas tree sings “oh tannenbaum”. Fabulous. Simple. Red Ted (2.5 yrs) always make me sing to the christmas tree, but also likes many of the other pages. It is really nice that we can enjoy this book with Pip Squeak (8mths) too, as she loves the bright colours and the fun noises. Depending on the month, Red Ted has a different favourite page. Currently, we get stuck on the watch page (tick tack), mainly because I showed him an old Swatch Flick Flack that used to be mine and told him once it has a new battery he can have it.

We were also given a read the time activity book which he loves drawing in.Needless to say, he hasn’t got a clue and cannot tell the time. He is not a wonderchild, but the point is, he is taking an interest in time. And we talk about time. And I tell him what time we do what.

So. The craft project. This is super easy.It took 2 min per watch. We made them more on a whim than anything else. I just realised that, I made them all. Mmh, I guess Red Ted gave me instructions (mainly “more”), but we did discuss time (what time shall I do next, Red Ted?) and he did want some for his friends. And you do learn through watching?! Below there are some more crafty suggestions.

Toilet paper roll watches

1) Materials: Loo Roll, Scissors, Paper, Pen, Sellotape

2) Cut a strip of loo roll: the armband

3) Cut a circle and draw a watch face

4) Sellotape on (you can glue it, but takes a while to dry!

DONE!

Variations:

• let your toddler decorate the wristband and watch face:
  • decorate loo roll: with feathers, fake gems, paint, pens, whatever takes your fancy (avoid glitter with this one, you will have it ALL over the house)
  • instead of loo roll, cut a strip of coloured card and sellotape it – good for older childrenwith bigger wrists.
  • Maybe you can be SUPER crafty and with a pin make a moving clock arms

UPDATE: Want more Toilet Roll Crafts?

Recently we made a Unicorn Marionette and a Toilet Roll Rudolph. We also have a special toilet roll craft video + links:

Over 10 Fabulous Cardboard Tube Craft Ideas

Watch out for Red Ted Art, launching in GermanSpanish and Russian!

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Loo Rolls, Paper Crafts

1. christy says:

I have been saving our tp rolls for an occasion such as this it seems. I hate throwing things away sometimes but what was I going to make? Great idea and we’ll prob be doing this tomorrow. thanks for the idea

new follower from look what i made ;)

2. kim says:

awww those are watches so cute! how clever!

3. Ange says:

We are sooo making these this weekend. Lovely idea!!

4. Pippiwillow says:

Awesome..Thank you so very much I will be undertaking this craftiness tomorrow – the small boy & girl will absolutely love them. Thanks. Peta

5. butterfly wishes and wonderland dreams says:

that book looks so cute love the watches! we will have to make some :) following you now :)

6. Janelle says:

Great way to recycle those TP rolls! Kids love watches and this is a super project to make when teaching about time!

7. Very nice! I think my youngest would like that quite a bit.

8. Harriet says:

Oh!!! I thought we were the only people in the world who knew about this book. We have it in French but are not beyond a bit of simultaneous translation. The girls absolutely love it. In fact I was saying yesterday that I didn’t understand why it didn’t exist in English… maybe it does… and if not, that’s my next project (only without the “tape qui fait paf”)

Ooooh, so nice to find a “fellow” Piep Piep Piep reader. I do love the book. Am doing an alphabet book (English German) in a v similar style (accident, started the alphabet before we got this book… but am so distracted by twitter, that I am not sure I will ever finish it sigh).

9. Harriet says:

Incidentally, in French, Christmas says “Jingel (sic) bells”. Explain that one?!

10. You are so creative. I may have to make this with my grandkids. I am passing your blog on to my daughters for ideas. Thanks for the Twitter shout out.

Am so pleased you enjoyed the blog! And thank you so much for passing it on! Very much appreciated!!

11. Jenny says:

Well, that is very clever. :)

12. JDaniel4's Mom says:

The watches are so cute. My son would love to have a watch like his dad’s.

13. Cathy says:

Ok the project is super cute. But I love you said Loo Roll. So much better than the alternative. :)

14. Amy says:

Thanks for this wonderful idea.. I am so glad you linked up and shared this.. I can’t wait to make one with my little one..

15. Michelle says:

Hi,

I’m visiting from `Round Robin.’
    This is a really cute idea.
    Thanks for sharing!

16. I love this! I will have to share it with Laci’s school. I think they would have fun making this! Again, great job and thanks for linkin to It’s Stinkin Cute Craft Thursday!

17. Cute idea! And I love how you say “loo roll”!! I’ve been saving them and paper towel rolls too. My family thinks I’m nuts for doing so, but you never know when you might need them for a project.

Stopping by via stART!

18. This seems like a great idea for helping kids learn how to tell time too. Put the noon watch on at lunchtime etc.

Thanks so much for linking up to Finished for Friday!

19. fiona Erlandsen says:

No toilet roll watches in our house I am afraid. They’ve all been painted as telescopes to go with the egg box boats for true Pirate action! Another day!!

20. Jingle says:

cute and smart ideas.

21. What a cleaver project and idea to go with the books you read. My kids use to love to wear watches when they were little. Very well done!

22. Those are so fun, I want to do them with my kids. Thanks for the idea!

23. My boys would love this. They are always asking for a watch. Seeing that they have yet to have a toy that hasn’t been broken or dismantled in 5 minutes after receiving it. I think you watch craft is the better and cheaper solution for me. Thanks!

24. Here from Tip Junkie – cute idea! Thanks for sharing!

25. Jackie says:

My 2 year old loves time too! He points at every clock and says, “clock”. I think we’ll have to make this.

26. Bridgette says:

Thanks for joining us for Anything Related! ~Bridgette

27. J. Hill says:

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

28. Audra says:

I so love your story and craft ideas! This will be another one I must do with me kids!

Thanks for linking this up as well!

29. Thank you for inspiring us what to do with all those numerous TP rolls we collected…