Kids Craft - Barbapapa &playing with all our crafty things - Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Craft – Barbapapa &playing with all our crafty things

| September 1, 2010 | 42 Comments

As we celebrate my brand new blog, I would also like to launch and invite you take part in Kid’s Get Crafty – a link up party/ blog hop for all craftiness with and for children! Do take part. Do be inspired! Link up at bottom of post! Hooray!

Old posts welcomed. Grab a button an add it to your post or side bar. Please do NOT post things for sale or Giveaways!

Come back weekly (Wednesdays) and link up!

Here to our Kid’s Craft:

Let’s delve straight in, this week’s story + art project involves previous craftiness – our egg carton boats and scented playdough!

Barbapapa Barbapapa, by Annette Tison and Talus Taylor.

Reading age 5-7yrs, Read together age: 2yrs – 5yrs.

I vaguely remember reading or being read the Barbapapa stories for the first time on a trip to Canada. We were taken to the local library or storytime and I was introduced to the wonderful world of the fabulous Barbapapa family. So before Red Ted was even born, these books (amomgst a number of others) already graced out bookshelves. To my pleasure Red Ted took to the books himself (even tore one up, but we were able to tape it all back up again).

Barbapapa is a funny being that can change his shape to anything he likes. In the very first book, Barbapapa is born (like a flower). He is too big to stay with the family he was born into and is sent to the Zoo. The Zoo keeper doesn’t like him, as he is able get out the cages by changing his shape and goes off to play with the animals. Barbapapa is sad and wanders off… his shape changing abilities then save the day on more than one occassion and the people around him begin to love in. Happy End.

The craft project(s)

egg carton boat

(See my Guest Post on  egg carton boat for details on how we made our boats!) We made our craft project very simple – we made some playdough (click here to see How Make Scented Playdough) and then had some playdough fun! (For a truly awesome Barbapapa project visit Zoe and here girl’s at Playing By the Book here).

Loved this “craft” session, as it gave us a chance to play with other crafty things we had previously made too – like our Egg Carton Boats.So.

We played with this over several days. We had fun making little men. We mixed colours. And we got out our sailboats and went sailing (here is the original sailboat post). We lined them up. We made big ones and little ones. We had fun.

Now when Red Ted sees playdough he shouts Barbapapa! (or at least a toddler version of this!)

And our playdough has lasted weeks and we keep coming back to it!!!! Hurray!

For more Kid’s Craft, click here.

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up (apologies for some of my crafts appearing, Linky got confused when I was submitting elsewhere and will not let me delete it):

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Recycling

1. That just bought so many memories! Here in Israel it was called barba-abba (abba is hebrew for dad so I guess that’s why) I watched it when I used to come visit my granparents. Never remember seeing it in usa.

Here is hebrew video of the intro song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J35-VgUjJlI&feature=related

Thanks Susie, will be checking out that song with Red Ted!! (and thanks for coming back and reposting comment – much appreciated!!! ;-))

2. Sara says:

Thanks for inviting me to come over and play! Just wanted to let you know that I’m going to be hosting a “Mommy & Me Mondays” link up over at my place http://www.happybrownhouse.blogspot.com You’re invited to join in!

3. Jen says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I posted two activities on your party. Thanks for hosting! :)

Wonderful. Love your submissions – the black & white one will be something for us to get stuck into soon too! See you again at Kids Get Crafty ;-)

4. Hi! Thanks for inviting me! Just wanted to leat you know that you can use the translator in the top left corner in my blog. Works like a charm and then you don’t have to guess what I’m writing about! :)

5. Hi!

Thanks for popping over and for inviting me to link up…

Take care,
    Georgia

6. Lynn says:

I love how creatively you used the playdoh! I must admit that I kind of cringe at playdoh now that my son is allergic to wheat. Who’d have thought you could be allergic to playdoh? But there are fun allergy safe options like crayola model magic, and I promised him at the art museum today that we could try making our own “sculptures” at home. We might have to give it a try tomorrow. Wish me luck making a horse, which I’m sure is what he’ll request! ;)

Oh no! How frustrating! A wheat allergy! Never thought that that means he cannot make things like playdough, or homemade paper mache glue :-( well.. store bought it is. It is fine really, no! Good luck with the horse! LInk it up next week?

7. Megan Berry says:

Thank you for letting me know about your link party. Once the crummy weather begins we’ll need lots of projects to keep my four year old and myself busy. Bring on the inspiration!

8. Nikki says:

How fun! Thanks for linking up!

9. maria says:

Thanks for inviting me to the party, I made it at last!
    I like the idea of using crafty things you made before to play with the new. The egg carton boat is fab, perfect for those colourful Barbapapas:)

We are now “one boat” down. One left… but they have lasted since the beginning of summer, so I am very impressed…. Love your lollipop stick/ shell frames. Super cute! Thanks for joining in

See you next week!

10. Very cute! This is the second post I’ve seen on those books, but they’re not available around here. Clearly, I’m missing out. :)

Ah that is a shame, as they are lovely books. I thought that they originated from the US? mmmh maybe not! I regularly see lovely books from the US, that I cant’t easily get here.. very frustrating!

Thaks for stopping by (and do link up ;-))

Maggy

Have just remembered… they are originally in French… so yes, probably “European”… shame!

11. April says:

Looks like he had fun! Thanks for inviting me to link-up. Can’t wait to check out all the other links!

12. Me again…I’ve linked up and grabbed your button! I’ll be back to link up some more…thanks so much for popping by and for all the comments…makes me SMILE!

13. Jeanette says:

I have never seen this book before. It looks and sounds wonderful.
    I also love the sailboats and little men. So much fun!
    I’ve linked up too.

14. Sarah says:

What a fun project!!!

15. Debbie says:

Thank you for the invite. I have linked up, and am a follower now.

16. Mother?Lode says:

Thank you for inviting me to share my latest project with you on your new blog and linking party – my daughter’s art turned into a matching game. I also included your blog party in my roundup, posted here

so I’ll be sure to catch it each week, and to share with others too!

Camille

17. I’ve added mine but I had about four go’s at it and just noticed it’s on there twice now…. Sorry x x x

18. Janelle says:

I remember reading Zoe’s post and we still haven’t read Barbapapa yet. I love your play dough activity and the little men you made.

19. Happier Than A Pig in Mud says:

Cute, I know the kids had fun with this!

20. Natalie says:

I remember reading about Barbapapa project on Zoe’s blog and admiring what they did. I love your eggcarton boats too – it’s easy and opens up so many play opportunities. Thanks for joining WMCIR, and I will try to link up to Kids Get Crafty when my daughter does get crafty :)

21. Stacie says:

What a great boat! We made a boat last week, but it was a failure. We’ll have to give this a try!

Stacie

22. What an intriguing book – I’m a little sad to read in the comments that they’re hard to find in the US! Thanks for linking up at Feed Me Books Friday!

23. Michelle says:

What a great project…he did a great job making his people!!

Thank you for linking up to stART :0)

24. Audra says:

I’m going to try this. I have tons of egg cartons saved up!
    Thanks for linking up! :)

25. Love the boats! But then again, I always love your stuff.