How to... make a "Himmel oder Hölle" Spiel (Paper Fortune Teller or a Paper Puppet) - Red Ted Art's Blog

How to… make a "Himmel oder Hölle" Spiel (Paper Fortune Teller or a Paper Puppet)

| September 3, 2010 | 32 Comments

As you all know, I love simple paper crafts that you can do anywhere with any type of paper.

I am also Austrian, so have here a simple paper game that is often played by children in “German speaking countries” – known in Austria and Germany as “Himmel oder Hölle” or in Switzerland as Schnipp Schnapp, it is easy and fun. English Wikipedia explains it here and also has a “drawn step by step guide”. I remember making these and spending hours decorating them or messing around on the school playground with them…

Basically, the game allows you tell a friend’s fortune – the basics being “will you go to Heaven or Hell” – a bit morbid, I know. But you can embellish and write your own fortunes as the friends select different tabs within the game. But you can also modify it for story telling or to make a little paper puppet. See the second video.

I have done two videos:

1) to show you How to make a Himmel oder Hölle and

2) to show you How to play with your Himmel oder Hölle!

How to make a Himmel oder Hölle

How to play Himmel oder Hölle

Hope you have some fun!

More How To’s/ Tutorials Here or Here

Enjoy!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Category: How To's, Kids Craft, Paper Crafts, vlogs

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Does starting school mean the end of play? | NurtureStore | September 11, 2010
  2. scary monster craft | NurtureStore | October 24, 2011
  1. Roslyn says:

What a cool idea I will have to save it for when my youngest GS is a little older!

2. Hooray. I could finally open your new site today. I signed up as a follower, too! I’ll be back later to read your indigo post but I wanted to see what you were up to.

This looks great!

And I used to love this little craft when I was a kid! Cute memory.

Oh I hope that wasn’t a technical issue on my side? Ooops. hope not!! Lovely to have you connect :-) love your visits and kind words every week!!! x

3. Dave says:

Maggy, it’s been years since I’ve made one of these. I’m going to make some over the weekend for my kids. By next week it’ll be all the rage at school!

Looove the new site BTW. Looks fab. Haven’t finished looking around but I’m very impressed.

Dave

4. I loved these when I was a child. Going to make them this weekend with B. Great vlog! We call them fortune-tellers.

5. Emma says:

Ooo loving the new site! Very simple to navigate around.. love it! This post has took me back to my school days where we used to make this.. oh the memories!!

Hooray! Have to confess, I really thought these were German, but so many of you know them… fabulous! Definitely something for childhood memories :-)

Glad you like the new site!!

6. KidsTravel2 says:

thanks for reminding me of these – would be great as an activity to keep kids busy in the car /train /plane too – will pass on to our followers!

7. Elaine says:

No idea what they are called in English but we definitely made them as children – we made them at Children’s Liturgy the other week too with “good deeds” to do under the final flaps

8. Maggie you brought back great memories these would be so much fun to make with my girls!

Thank you for linking up to my Sew Crafty Saturday party :)

9. Happier Than A Pig in Mud says:

Wow, I haven’t seen one of these since I was in school!

10. Thanks for commenting to let me know I had the wrong date for my link party! I’ve fixed it now if you would like to add a link!

11. Sandy says:

We always called these “Cootie Catchers” when I was a kid in Florida!

12. J. Hill says:

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

madincrafts.blogspot.com

13. Dawnie Brown says:

Oh this has brought back so many memories, I used to love making these and playing with them with my brothers and sisters :)

14. My daughter loves making these! I’ll go in her room and there will be 12 laying around, haha! Thanks for joining us!

15. Nikki says:

Awesome!!!!! Thanks so much for linking up to gettin’ crafty on hump day! :)

16. Tania says:

Now there’s a haul down memory lane. School holidays coming up in this neck of the woods. Guess what’s on the agenda now?!

17. Olivia says:

I used to love these! I need to teach the kiddos how to make one!

18. Becky says:

I used to always make fortune tellers as a kid, never thought about using one for a puppet. Thanks for linking up to the Under $100 Linky Party!

19. Brandi says:

Cute idea! Coming over from Keeping Up with the Schultz! :)

20. Amy says:

I remember those as a child. OH how I loved them. Thanks again for linking up..

21. Audra says:

how funny! I remember this from school back in the day! :)