How To... make a Newspaper Mâché Bead Necklace - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

How To… make a Newspaper Mâché Bead Necklace

| September 17, 2010 | 18 Comments

A while back I saw some newspaper mâché beads over at We Are That Family. That got me intrigued and excited! I love beautiful things made out of seemingly worthless materials. A google hit came up with very few tutorials on how to make newspaper mâché beads and then ones I found one, I didn’t like – mainly for two reasons: they used PVC glue and the used drills! Far too complicated for me. Plus I am not too handy with drills.

So I decided to have a go myself. I used homemade mâché paste made from flour and water. Check out my recipe here.

I think my result is pretty good, but I think if you have a little more time you can do even better! Also, these are a little on trickier side, so you will need patience and maybe do these with slightly older children? The more you do, the easier it gets!

Materials: Newspaper, Toothpicks/ skewer, Flour, Old container, Acrylic Paints (min 2 colours)

1) Tear up the newspaper into tiny tiny shreds. A shredder could come in handy! The smaller the better and the neater your end result.

2) Pour boiling water over them and let soak

3) Make mâché paste as per instructions here.

4) Drain water.

5) Start shaping the beads whilst mixing in lots of mâché paste. I made different sizes.

6) Put on skewer or use a toothpick/ wire to make a hole. I actually moulded mine aournd the skewer, saving me the fiddly job of getting a hole in it. Try and squeeze as much moisture out, whilst ensuring there it is smothered in paste (tricky!).

7) Let dry for 2-3 days, until TOTALLY dry. Some instructions suggest going back to the beads regularly and reshaping them, other sand down rough edges at end. Also re-poking the hole. Others drill a hole at the end. I, ahem, did neither of these. With small children I don’t have the time to keep revisiting! But this is the stage when you get the beads finer!

8 Once dry, paint. I did this by rolling them in a pot of paint & then letting them dry on a plastic carrier bag.

9) Add 2nd coat of contrasting paint.

10) Varnish if you wish.

11) Thread onto some thread or a ribbon and you are done!

A great project for holidays and keeping teenagers or just yourself busy!  Enjoy!

Why not check out my other How To’s here?

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: How To's, Paper Crafts, paper mache

Sites That Link to this Post

1. How to make story cubes for storytelling | Baby Budgeting | May 5, 2011
  1. Hootin' Anni says:

All this from newspaper….it’s really terrific. I like the whole concept!! This share this week is perfect for us crafters. I appreciate the tutorial.

My Show n Tell this week…LINK

Have a super Friday!

2. KidsTravel2 says:

Another great idea – am sure my kids will enjoy the mess that this is sure to entail :)

3. Betsy says:

Wow, I thought these were glass when I first looked. Amazing what can be made out of nothing. Great job, love the color too:-)

4. Kerry says:

These are amazing I love them, and they look so good. I think Baba and I may have to do a few of these! Thanks

5. This sounds like a fun project. I would love to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

6. Chari says:

Hello…

I would love to try this craft myself! I used to do quite a bit of paper mache…it’s been some time ago, I’m afraid! Your post has inspired me! Thank you for sharing it with us for Sunday Favorites!

Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

7. Tammy says:

I’m sure my girls are going to love having a go at this! Thanks for the fabulous tutorial.

8. Meg says:

Wow, cool idea. My kids would love this!

9. Mandy's Creative Corner says:

That is so thrifty! Thanks for the inspiration! =)

10. Jami says:

Wouldn’t this be a fun Girl Scout craft or classroom craft! Thanks for the tute. I really love reusing things we already have.

11. Brittany says:

wow would never have guessed that was paper! very cool!

12. Nikki says:

What a neat idea!!!!! Thanks so much for linking it! :)

13. Katie says:

You may end up with a whole bunch of these, one for each outfit. They look fun to make! Thank you for joining us at A Crafty Soiree with this link and the one for snowflake stampers! I hope you’ll come back next week and link up again!

14. this is awesome…great tutorial…lovely color…

15. Ruth says:

Fabulous *adds to never ending lists of crafts* have you tried rolled paper and fabric beads too?

I did some here.

16. Goopy & Gooey transformed into Gorgeous! Thanks so much for linking up to Passion for Paint! Hope you’ll drop by again soon!

17. Munnyraja says:

The varnish can either be black or white….nice to do it…