We love Paper Mache, or Papier Mache depending on your preferred spelling! You can make your own Papier Mache Paste quickly and easily – and above all environmentally friendly and inexpensive. Our simple paper mache recipe only requires two ingredients – yes that is correct – flour and water. It is the most traditional method for how to make paper mache paste and gives you a strong, durable papier mache glue. With the added bonus that this papier mache glue is inexpensive, can be made from household items, is not as messy as PVA Papier Mache paste AND is good for the environment.
So without further ado.. here is our very easy paper mache paste made from flour and water:
Ingredients for papier mache paste:
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups water
Yes. That is literally it! Though we do heat it, so you will need a microwave or cooker too!
(If you love how amazing flour is, you may also adore our 3 ingredient salt dough recipe!!)
You will also need
- A disposable container (though you can use a normal bowl, as this washes up nicely and won’t get ruined!)
- Measuring cup (it really doesn’t matter what size, it is the relative quantities that matter)
- Spoon for stirring
If you don’t have a microwave, you can do this on the stove top – just heat the mixture in a pan gradually and keep stirring!
How long does Paper Mache paste from flour KEEP FOR?!
I usually keep my homemamde paper mache paste, covered and in the fridge for about a week. The water and flour mixture may separate out a little, just give it a good stir and you will be ready to use it again. Personally, I like using it straight away (once it has been cooled down) or with in a day or two. I wouldn’t keep it too long, but it CAN be made ahead of time.
How to make Paper Mache Paste with flour
This short video shows you how very quick and easy it is to make your Paper Mache Paste! Or follow the written instructions below!
How to make paper mache paste from flour and water – step by step instructions
This really is one of the easiest and least messy DIY Paper Mache Recipes!
- Mix one part flour, with two parts water. Pour the water in gradually and keep stirring.
- Try and remove as many lumps as possible.
- Pop into the microwave at full blast for 30-40 seconds (remember microwaves do vary, so add it for less if need be). Remove, give it a good stir.
- Pop back into the microwave for another 30-40 seconds etc.
- Repeat this 2-4 times (depending on microwave) until you start seeing the mixture thickening up. It should look like thick soup – but not TOO thick. If it is too thick, it will not apply or soak into the newspaper as well!
- NOTE: Some people prefer it more paste like.. but I like it a little “runnier” (not too runny mind you). It really is a question of preference.
- Remove the flour mixture and give it a good stir. Try and “squish out” any lumps against the side of the container. They are not a “disaster”, but your work will look neater and smoother, if there are no lumps.
- Let cool a little and you are ready to use your mixture.
Stove Top Paper Mache Paste DIY
You can achieve the same result on the stove top. As you are only working with flour and water, this will papier mache recipe will not ruin any of your pots and pans!
- As before, add your mixture to a pan and stir to make as smooth as possible.
- Place on the cooker, on low heat and slowly heat it up.
- Stir continuously until you have a thick soup like constitency.
- Remove from stove and let cool!
Your Papier Mache Mixture is ready for us! As mentioned, it should last in your fridge for up to around a week.. but I prefer to use it with in 2-3 days.
Some of our favourite Papier Mache Projects to day include the following: