Kids Get Crafty - Nikolaus Sterne or Santa Stars - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Get Crafty – Nikolaus Sterne or Santa Stars

| December 8, 2010 | 45 Comments

Welcome to Kids Get Crafty. On Monday the 6th December was St Nikolaus day. In Germanic countries this is celebrated with St Nikolaus visiting the children and bringing them Satsumas/ Mandarines/ Clementines, nuts and dried fruit. The specific tradition varies from country to country and family to family, but at our house, IF Red Ted has been good (!) we leave a little basket outside the bedroom door (traditionally it is a shoe or boot) and St Nikolaus comes during the night and fills it with goodies! To celebrate, we also made a little “Nikolaus Stern” or “Santa Star”. This is a widespread craft and I really cannot take any credit for it. Non the less, it is cute!

0-nikolaus-sterne-2

The Craft

I cannot stress enough, that many of the crafts we do, are really simple and VERY quick. They require a tiny bit of set up time and then the children can really enjoy it. Again, I made one “first” and Red Ted copied. As we craft more and more together, I have noticed how Red Ted really is “ready” to listen to instructions and “knows” that if he does something fun will result. This is great for demonstrating crafts, but equally, I am aware that I must make sure to let his own creativity develop… I digress. The craft:

Materials: Red card or paper, pink card or paper, cotton wool, black pen, glue, scissors

1) Cut a 5 pointed star (I am rubbish at getting mine evenly, so here is a template)

2) Cute a semi circle for the face – glue on

3) Glue on some cotton wool

4) Draw in some eyes and some boots (I love how seriously Red Ted is concentrating whilst drawing on the little boots!)

Done aaaaaAAAAAND HANG:

Hang on your Christmas Garland: we have our Christmas Trees, our Snowmen and now our Nikolaus’s. Red Ted was SO excited to see them all together and insisted on attaching them himself (with some masking tape). It was the first thing he showed Daddy when he come home in the evening!

Tags: , , ,

Category: Card making, Christmas, Kids Craft

1. maria says:

What a lovely tradition, and I like your Santa star!

2. Tasha says:

This is lovely. I am definitely going to make a lovely garland like this with Milo to hang up. He is enjoying the Christmas crafting a lot at the moment – our house is permanently covered in glitter!

3. It’s always a pleasure and a treat visiting your blog! Thanks for hosting this party! ^^)

4. The Santa starts are great! Such a cute craft.

5. maryanne says:

Quick and simple crafts are often the best!

6. nicole says:

cute idea- will save this idea for our annual st nicholas event at chruch (which i’ll be in charge of again!).

was the book worth buying to copy illustrations for kids to color (ie scan and put into cartoon form?)?
    thanks!

7. kewkew says:

That Santa is so cute, though I have been avoiding Santa crafts as we don’t “do” Santa and I want to focus on the true meaning of Christmas. Not knocking anyone who does include Santa, it’s just something I don’t believe in. I like that the book shares the true story of Saint Nicholas. When Santa comes up around here I am careful to make sure the girls know there was such a person once. Sorry the book didn’t live up to your expectations.

8. Janelle says:

That would make a cute ornament for the tree, too. I wonder if I can find wooden stars?

9. Monica says:

What a sweet craft! Looks great.

10. Debbie says:

I love the Santa Star. That is so cute!

11. BB will love doing this, I bought a bumper bag of cotton wool yesterday and we are planning to get really crafty this weekend!

12. I love the Santa garland. You are so right about simple crafts coming together to make beautiful things.

Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn. I have Stumbled and tweeted about your post.

13. That garland turned out really lovely.

14. Amy says:

Oh how amazing.. Love the little faces of the little one. Thanks for stopping by for my Round Robin..

15. Dawn says:

adorable! those stars are so cute!

Thank you all for your lovely and kind comments!! We are very much enjoying our Santa’s and Red Ted is so proud of himself!!!

17. Jackie says:

That’s such a cute craft. My husband’s family celebrate St. Nicholas’s day- but I didn’t grow up with it and I always forget.. until my MIL gives my boys a sock of stuff. I guess I’m going to have to try and remember as they get older!

18. Michelle says:

Looks like a great craft and easy too.
    Merry Christmas!

19. They’re so pretty! I bet they look fantastic up :)

20. Alethea says:

Gorgeous! My Little Man also has to show Daddy his crafts, sometimes before he’s even completely in the house after work ;-)!

21. Natalie says:

Very pretty craft, and I like how it works on your chain with Christmas trees and snowmen! We celebrate Nikolaus as well even though I was very tempted to leave the shoe empty this year, since daughter was particularly naughty on the Nikolaus Eve!

Natalie – I know just what you mean!!! Our little ones do test us! (and Liz) As to the chain, it was a bit of a fluke! I never really thought of putting them all together like this until the very end! We were lucky it worked!

Alethea – I love it when they take pride in their crafts!

23. kbreints says:

What a great craft– on that even I can handle! Thanks foe sharing it!

24. texttussi says:

I just made the stars with my daughter and we had so much fun! They are not as well done as yours, but I’m sure the grandparents will love them. We attached little clothes pins on the back so we can attach them to presents.
    Thanks for the idea!

Texttussi – Oh I like the little clothes peg idea! Fabulous and you prob attach them to the tree that way too!
      Lizzy_o – Yes, will do my best to remind you of crafts pasts!!!

25. Lizzy_o says:

Thank you so much for all the really interesting information about St Nikolaus Day! I love the piccies of Red Ted – he’s concentrating so hard! I think it’s safe to say that your little man will have no problem on the creative front! I can’t wait for my Boo to get a bit older so that he can take part in this kind of crafting! I hope you’ll remind us of this post next year too! :)

26. giozi says:

Hi Maggie. Thanks for your visit. Your blog is excellent. A huge.

27. These are fablous – thank you for resharing them this week over on Tuesday Tots and for supporting us throughout the year – Wishing you a Happy Christmas and New Year with exciting things for 2013

28. Pinkoddy says:

The Father Christmas stars are absolutely adorable.

29. jenny paulin says:

these are a fun christmas craft and i think even a rubbish crafty type like myself could coax my crafty loving boys to make these. x

30. Rebecca says:

SO sweet! I love the fact it’s a star and a santa!

31. Dawn says:

I love making home made birthday and xmas cards to sell