Kids Get Crafty - Penguins, Boys, Umbrellas & Card Board Boxes... - Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Get Crafty – Penguins, Boys, Umbrellas & Card Board Boxes…

| January 19, 2011 | 41 Comments

Welcome to Kids Get Crafty! A couple of weeks ago we went to see a “special under threes” theatre production of Oliver Jeffers Lost & Found. It was wonderful and Red Ted loved it. He kept glancing round to me and giving me the biggest smiles and grins. Then turning back to the 30min play giggling away. Afterwards we went for juice and a biscuit. On the way home, we waddled like the penguin and wooshed liked the see. What a lovely afternoon. I wanted to capture it for him, so we decided to Get Crafty!!!

Firstly – The Book.

Lost and Found Lost and Found, by Oliver Jeffers. Well… a few months ago, when I first bought the theatre tickets, we got crafty and made some penguins… so go and hop over for the book review there!

The Craft

Weeeellll. We had our penguins (if you don’t have the fab penguin shape deodorant bottles, we have – why not make a penguin by using a loo paper roll? It won’t be shaped as perfectly, but it would still be fun). Now we need a boy! I decided to keep it simple and try and get Red Ted making as much as possible… so a loo roll boy we made:

Materials: A loo roll, skin coloured paint, white fabric & red pen, denim or trouser fabric, jumper scraps for a woolly hat & needle to sew it up, googly eyes, glue

And then we need an umbrella (this was The Englishman’s ingenious idea):

Materials: a plastic bottle, blue tack, small stick (we used half a skewer)

1) Paint the loo roll pink

2) Draw some red stripes onto a whit rectangle fabric – measure it out so it fits around the paper roll

3) Cut a rectangle of “trouser fabric” to fit loo roll (we used denim)

4) Cut some jumper/ sweater fabric out and let the little ones have a go at sewing. If you don’t have jumper scraps, I am sure any material will look nice. Tie a bit of thread around the top of the jumper fabric, to make a bobble

5) Glue everything on (including googly eyes)

Finished!!!

For the umbrella: cut off the bottom of a plastic bottle – secure stick with bluetack. Done!

We then had a theartre production.

And then we made a house for The Boy and The Penguin to sleep in too. We love cardboard boxes!!

Click here: for more Loo Roll Crafts

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list.

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

If you enjoy blog hops and link up parties.. do go and the fabulous Play Academy & Something for the Weekend every Friday and Monkeys Doodles every Monday! Just click on the badges below!

play academy Thinly Spread Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Sewing

1. Jill says:

Adorable! I love that red ted is wearing a shirt just like the boy in the book!

2. Chris says:

Oh Maggy, I adore the woolly bobble hat! :-D

3. His craft is so cute! I love that he can act out his own production. And the umbrella is great!

Oh yes, it was a funny coincidence that he was wearing the stripy shirt. It made him very happy!

And he LOVED sewing. Need to have another go!

And we have been playing theatre ever since…

5. Julia says:

Thanks for the invite. I love all of the fabulous ideas here!

6. Gale says:

Very very cute! What did you make the penquin out of?

Thanks again for inviting me last week!

Oh the penguin is out of an old deodorant bottle – here they are: http://www.redtedart.com/2010/08/11/story-art-great-start-lost-found-oliver-jeffers/

This obviously means you need the “right brand”, so if you can’t find that shape (they are v common in the UK), you could make a loo roll one, I know it wouldn’t be as “perfect”, but still cute?

Maggy

8. I love that you cute creatures became performers and put on a show.

9. Tasha says:

I love this craft… will definitely try and do something similar with Milo – he’s obsessed with Oliver Jeffers at the moment!

10. Natalie says:

We love the book, and the characters to go with it are super cute. I have to see if maybe we have this play somewhere in our area too.

11. That is too cute!! Love the theme and I love their little theater!

12. Love, Love, Love the penguin! Thank you for sharing.

13. I LOVE that you made the little guy to go with the story!

14. dshtebazile says:

We love this book over at our house too, and the characters that you made are perfect!

15. How fab, it must be amazing living at your hosue Maggy! Mich x

16. Janelle says:

Your son’s striped shirt is so adorable! My deodorant containers aren’t shaped like that but I’ve seen mini shampoo bottles with that shape. Both the boy and penguin turned out great.

17. Susana says:

You always have the best crafts! This looks like a great book too. LOVE your theatre production:-).

18. Hootin' Anni says:

I love, love, LOVE the penguin. Sweet post.

A CONVERSATION WITH HUSBAND

19. Your “Lost & Found” characters are precious. Absolutely adorable, I love projects that reinact characters from stories. You have reminded me to do more of these.

20. Oh, we love Lost and Found! We made a pupet theatre last week too, so we will definitely have to have a go at bringing the book to life. Great idea!

21. Herding Cats says:

Wow! How amazing! My four year old loves Lost and Found and made us watch the TV adaptation over and over and over!

22. Liberty says:

We *LOVE* this little book! What a fun idea to make the characters, we’ll have to try this soon… so cute :)

23. Esther says:

Thanks for the invite Maggy! The penguin is very cute! we are planning to do one with recycled juice containers. I started following your blog recently through RSS feed. You have very adorable ideas!

Esther – thank you so much for that very kind comment! Glad you enjoy the blog!!! And using juice containers sounds like a great idea!

24. Holly says:

Have not read this book. Love the craft!

25. Kerri says:

I am definitely going to check out the book! Thanks! Kerri

26. jfb57 says:

Many thanks for linking with the Resource Centre Maggy! http://bit.ly/eWhm4h

Pleasure, the Resource Centre is a great, uhm, Resource!!!!

28. Jonathan from Polka says:

That’s fantastic – great to see what a visit to the theatre can inspire!

29. The penguin is sooo adorable. Love this idea and your kids looked like they had a fantastic time!

30. Tracey M says:

One of these days I’ll get organized and do a book with craft so I can link up …
    There is something about penguins I just love. I have found some of the cutest books with them. I love the cute things you made to go with the book; especially the house to play with the penguin in!

31. Great project, and just love that deodorant bottle Penguin!
    Thanks so very much for dropping by Craft Schooling Sunday and contributing, I really appreciate it! all the best!

32. Martianne says:

Cute ideas! We are exploring The Snowy Day all week this week, begining with sensorimotor, but alter with crafts, too.

33. So very sweet. Thanks for linking to We Play again this week, it would be lovely if you could include it as a link in your post.

34. Kate says:

Hi Maggy,

Thanks for showing me your cool recycled puppets. Something about the penguin peeping out of the house made me laugh! Very sweet.

The recipe’s sound great – gonna get the aprons out in the next few days and give them a whirl!

Cheerio for now
    Kate
    x

Pleasure, hope you like the recipes! We always have frozen berries in the house now and it is def a rainy day activity for us. You can use choc chips too!

And the short bread is easy and taste and very cut out able!

M x

35. Thanks as always for linking up at Feed Me Books Friday! B has an unusual fascination with umbrellas – love your simple suggestion – he’ll adore the additon to his pretending!