Kids Get Crafty - Hearts (for Calendar February) - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Get Crafty – Hearts (for Calendar February)

| February 9, 2011 | 33 Comments

I am a funny one when it comes to Valentines – I always think you should be able to say and show that you love someone the remaining 364 days of the year. However, it is nice to have a day a year to remind you to do so. Having just post “Love Get Crafty” last week, I have been well and truly inspired to make more effort this year…. I am sure that The Englishman will approve too. It also means that I wanted to have a go at “something” with Red Ted. I have seen some fabulously hearty crafts these last few weeks… and now to something simple – ideal for that Calendar we are making! (Here is our January picture).

The Book

I am also going to do a book cheat and link you over to Canadian Home Schooling Mum, who found this wonderful sounding book on Valentine’s:

The Story of Valentine’s Day by Clyde Robert Bulla

I did not get a chance to get hold of this book in time, but I like the sound of it, as it describes the different stories behind “Valentine’s”, including some Valentine’s ideas and recipes. I love books that help explain the world and why we do things. And I want my children growing up “understanding” why things are not just “that they are”.

The Craft

We kept this VERY simple and made two things:

1) Handprint hearts for our Calendar. We did have a go at handprints with Pip Squeak – but her thumb kept sticking out, so it wasn’t very heart like.. so I will use her piece of art and cut out a heart shape for her February Calendar page! Or maybe I will just leave it as it is! Pip Squeak ADORED getting her hands into the gooey gooey finger paint!

Red Ted’s Heart Print

Pip Squeak’s painting

2) We coloured in some hearts (with supposed “Glitter Crayons” –  they were not glittery at all, what a disappointment), cut them out and put them on a card:

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list.
If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Valentine’s for preschoolers.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Calendar, Kids Craft, Valentines

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Tweets that mention Red Ted Art's Blog » Blog Archive » Kids Get Crafty – Hearts (for Calendar February) -- Topsy.com | February 9, 2011
  2. valentines carfts for children | NurtureStore | February 9, 2011
  3. Monday crafts: Yogurt pots puppet | Fab Mums | February 9, 2011
  4. Something for the Weekend – It’s Out of My Hands! | Thinly Spread | February 12, 2011
  5. Activity of the Week – Turning Valentine Crafts into Montessori-Oriented Activities | LivingMontessoriNow.com | February 17, 2011
  1. Catherine says:

Another beautiful idea – thank you :)

2. What fun! We’re going to start working on it!

Discovering The Me: Yay! Would be fab, if we all did a “this is our calendar” post in Dec… see all the artwork from throughout the year!

Catherine: aaah you are lovely! Esp since I LOVE Your crafts!!

3. sunnymama says:

Love the handprint hearts, such a lovely idea!

4. fabmums says:

very cute, especially the handprint heart:)

5. Michelle says:

Thanks for hosting today! Those are really cute. I may have to use this idea for next year’s valentines to the Grandparents. We already sent this years out.

6. Nicole says:

Handprints are always so sweet – perfect for Valentines! :)

7. Kerri says:

I popped over to the other blog to find out more about the book. Thanks for the recommendation. Always fun to find new books. I love how your crafts turned out and thanks for informing us about the glitter crayons. Kerri

8. I love the handprints and fingerprints. Great project!

9. I love the handprint heart! Thanks for hosting the Kids Get Crafty link-up! I featured your post and link-up at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow.

10. Christy says:

Great craft! That’s too bad about the glitter crayons.

11. Janelle says:

I love how Red Ted’s Heart Print turned out. The cards are cute, too.

12. Julie says:

That is so sweet! I am sorry about the crayons not working out for you, but those handprints are so cute! As always thank you for linking to ISCCT!

13. Too bad about the crayons, but the hearts are cute!

14. Holly says:

Love the artwork! I think I see a heart in Pip Squeak’s painting.

15. Wonder Mom says:

I love those little fingerprints!

16. Susana says:

We read that same book here too and enjoyed it. We also made the same Valentine handprint card.

All of your Valentine’s turned out so sweet and pretty! I always look forward to seeing what you all create:-).

Thank you Susana! That is why I love the link up a party – a really quick and easy way for me to keep up to date with what everyone else is crafting!!! A bit of a selfish linky party reason, but great for me!!!!!

17. Adorable little hands those are!

18. Michelle says:

Lovely cards.

Happy Valentine’s!

19. A new follower here….love that heart/hand craft! We have done a week of V’Day crafts…I linked up and put your button on my blog!

20. I am so glad all that paint was flying at your house! Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

21. Amy says:

Those are so neat I never thought to make a heart like that. Thanks again for stopping by…

22. These are great and relatively easy. I need something for my boys to do for their grandparents. (I had something too complicated for them at first and it kind of fizzled.) I think we’ll be cranking these handprint hearts out tomorrow before they see their Grandparents on Sunday- nothing like waiting until the last minute.
    Thanks for hosting the carnival!

23. I LOVE these so much Maggy! :) Perfect for little ones. Thanks for linking up this week! :) Rebecca

24. Messy Missy says:

Oh, I love this idea. So sweet!!