Kids Get Crafty - Walnut Boats - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Get Crafty – Walnut Boats

| February 23, 2011 | 36 Comments

Traditional Walnut Boat Craft

walnuss boot

Our walnuts are back! I did say I had a few walnut crafts up my sleeves… if you liked our little racing walnut mice, you may like our walnut boats too! It is another one of those “super quick” crafts. It is also a VERY exciting craft for a young child, as you get to craft with a candle…

The Book

Bodo Bär auf dem Piratenschiff

Bodo Bär auf dem Piratenschiff By Hartmut Bieber

The book to inspire our boat making is a pirate book! What pirate is a pirate without a boat?! Today, we are looking at a German book again (sorry). But it is such a sweet book and probably the “gentlest” to date introducing the whole idea of pirates – remember – it is a rather alien concept to a 3yrs old to suddenly be told about haarr-haarr-ing pirates! Are they fun? Are they scary? Are the nice? What are they…

Bodo Bär is a modern classic series of children’s books in Germany. Red Ted was given Bodo Bär on the pirate’s boat” for his birthday and loves it. It is current book of choice when, ahem, on the loo…… (well you need a good read).

BodoBär and is uncle go on a visit to the the pirate ship – there they get to explore the whole ship – from the hold to the kitchens to the captains room. You get lift flaps and learn lots of very pirate relevant word (e.g. Muskets, Cannons and Hammocks). They even go to a trip to a treasure island, celebrate with a fish cake and Bodo get’s a go on the bridge. Fabulous.

What we both like about it:  There are lot of little things to discover (like the mice playing cards, the cat hiding in the bed.. there is lots of vocabulary to learn (which is great from our bilingual family point of view) and the book is drawn in a fun, friendly way. In fact – the whole book is boat shaped!

The Craft

As mentioned, this is a very quick and easy craft you really don’t need very much – and you can vary your approach to “making the sail” as suits you! In hindsight, I think it is a shame we didn’t do a paper sail – as Red Ted would have “something” to really contribute. Never the less, he enjoyed the process and the final result!

Materials: One walnut half per boat, a candle & match,toothpick or similar, large tape for the sail or piece of paper/ coloured paper/ painted on paper/ paper with a skull & cross bone!

1. The best way to split your walnut, is with a knife on a chopping board. Ease your knife into a weak spot (at the more round “bottom” part of the walnut and gently prize it open. Sometimes tapping it helps a little. Needless to say, do take care and ensure that small hands are not getting over excited and in the way. I find the older the nut the easier it will crack open!

walnuss boot

2. Fill the walnut with wax. This is a great craft for letting your children try something where they have to take care – of course, you must supervise at all time and make sure they don’t burn themselves, but they will be thrilled to have had a go. Red Ted, being only just 3yrs, was allowed to briefly (!) hold the candle.

walnut crafts

3. We then stuck in a our toothpick and let the wax cool a little.

UPDATE: It is actually easier to make your flags FIRST and then stick them in the wax.. Not sure why I did this way round!

4. Then add the flag – as we used tape this was just a quick stick on job. I have to say, it would have been easier to stick on the flag FIRST. Give the flag a little trim for decor. A lovely alternative would be to colour in a square piece of a paper and secure it by piercing it on to the toothpick

walnuss boot

5. PLAY!

walnuss boot

Hope you enjoyed this little walnut craft! We have some more traditional walnut crafts for you to check out!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Nature

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Painting with simple paper stencils | Fab Mums | February 23, 2011
  2. Hope Is the Word » Blog Archive » RAT Links 2.24.11 | February 25, 2011
  3. daffodil craft | NurtureStore | February 25, 2011
  4. February Update from Red Ted Art | Mums Business Directory | February 25, 2011
  5. Welcome To Craft Schooling Sunday! | Free Crochet Patterns & Free Knitting Patterns Doily Towel Edge Patterns crochê lace | March 7, 2011
  6. 101+ Rainy Day Activities for Children | Rainy Day Mum | July 20, 2012
  7. A little Crafty Fun from one of the MAD Blog Award Judges | The MAD Blog Awards | July 15, 2013
  8. 101+ Rainy Day Activities for Children | Welcome to my world! | August 1, 2013
  1. Gale says:

Those are adorable! It’s making me wish my family liked walnuts better. Maybe we’ll have to shell some for Grandma. :-)

Yes, that is the “downside” – you have to eat the walnuts too!!

3. fabmums says:

How cute! Simple crafts are the best:)

4. Esther says:

Wow! I like the Simple walnut boats!

5. sunnymama says:

So cute! I love the colourful flags. :)

6. huana says:

We have that same book in croatian! Love the boats!

7. Liz Burton says:

Those little boats are adorable! Love the idea of pirate ones.

Damn we used our last walnuts for racing, we’ll have to get some more. x

8. mermaid says:

The boats are so cute :)
    Great idea!

9. Catherine says:

Brilliant idea! I need to get me some walnuts! ;o) Minnie would love these.

10. Christy says:

Oh, I love the walnut boats!!!!

11. We love pirates at our house! And I love the walnut boats, so cute! We might have to try those.

12. Julie says:

Sorry about linking twice. Go ahead and delete one. It didn’t work the first time (but evidently it did, it just didn’t look like it did) so I did it a second time.

I love those walnut boats.

13. hip chick says:

Cute little boatys!

14. Jill says:

This is really great Maggy! My kids would love playing with them.

15. That is WELL cute! I didn’t quite expect to meet Bodo auf dem Piratenschiff (20 Mann auf des toten Mann’s Kiste, ho ho ho und ne Flasche voll Rum!) when I hopped over here, intrigued by the cute little ship, but now I’m so glad I stopped by!
    Where do I find walnuts in England in late February? *ponders*

Ah yes, I saved ours from Christmas and it took me this long to get round to making things!! Arrrgh! Sorry!! I guess you need to check the healthfood shops?

16. These would be perfect for JDaniel’s new water table. Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

17. They are great! I have a whole bag of old walnuts in one of the craft boxes so we’ll definitely be having a go at these!

18. Victoria says:

Maggy, That looks like such a fun project to do for pirates. Have you tried putting the boat in water (you could fill your sink and let Red Ted see if it floats. The pirate book looks really fun. My son has been on a pirate phase lately too. I did a video reading his favorite Pirate book here. http://www.obSEUSSed.com/2010/09/ahoy-pirate-book-sing-along-video.html – Victoria

Oh yes! We played with them in the garden! Def most fun in the water!!!! Will come and check out your sing along video!! Sounds fun!!!

19. kewkew says:

These are just so cute, simple to make. Great idea, thanks for sharing

20. These are soo adorable and what a great project for boys! Love it.. Hope you will share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/02/pink-hippo-party-18.html

21. Natalie says:

How fun! Your walnut boats floated really well. We tried something similar, but ours didn’t stay up!

22. Natalie says:

PS – thanks for joining WMCIR!

23. Very cute and fun project to do with the kids. Thanks a lot for sharing!

24. Love them :) Thanks for participation in last week’s High paw and hope to see you again this week!

25. Catching up on some neglected links. Thanks for linking up at Feed Me Books Friday! Thanks for the pirate link-ups – you’re such a helpful reader!