Kids Get Crafty: Spring Picture (March Calendar) - Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Get Crafty: Spring Picture (March Calendar)

| March 30, 2011 | 42 Comments

Welcome to Kids Get Crafty! As some of you may be aware, Red Ted and I are “working” on a  Calendar for the end of the year – each month we make set aside one craft for the calendar – so far we have had a “Winter Scene” and a handprint heart… so now we need one for March. In the UK the blossoms are out in full bloom now. I LOVE this time of year – trees look so beautiful especially when we are lucky and have a nice blue sky! I have been showing Red Ted the new leaves on the tres and the blossoms… and he likes! He is in a “mega craft” mode at the moment and wants to make everything pretty. Go Red Ted.

So.. today we made the 2nd of our four seasons: blossom trees and lambs!

Our Book

Around the World with Mouk (Sticker Book) Around the World with Mouk (Sticker Book) By Marc Boutavant

Now… as I mentioned, I LOVE LOVE LOVE blossom trees – especially cherry blossoms (we used to have a beautiful one in my parent’s front garden, right outside my window – how I loved that tree)… and which country is best known for its beautiful cherry blossoms? Japan! So out came out wonderful Mouk book – an atlas of the world. I have reviewed it before – so pleased head over to the Mouk review for more info – let me just say – it is a WONDERFUL WONDERFUL book!

x

Japanese Children's Favorite Stories Book Two: 2Japanese Children’s Favorite Stories Book Two: 2 F. Sakade

A friend recommend this book about stories from Japan and I am hoping to find a copy at the library.. it looks LOVELY.

x

x

x

x

The Craft

Remember how last time we did a four seasons scene (Winter), it was very much a team effort? This was little over 2 months ago and this time I was most impressed with Red Ted’s progress! He did pretty much ALL OF IT himself… the only thing I did, was cut out a tree and tell him where green and blue should go (he kept saying “here mummy? here?” and “we only want the sky at the top”). What I love about the picture, is that the only bit I had “decided” was the blossom – the spring lambs where his idea (I suggested spring flowers… he said lambs! Perfect). Here some photos:

We were inspired

Some grass and ooooh some sky

Sticking the tree and fingerprint lambs (in Winter, we had fingerprint Robins)

Bubble wrap blossom (in Winter we had Bubble wrap snow) & eyes and feet for the sheep… each sheep got two eyes and between three and eight legs…

Finished

Here is Winter

(ahem, can you see how it is EXACTLY the same tree?!)

(UPDATE A  YEAR LATER: here is the full Four Seasons together)

We made another TWO blossom pictures the next day – one with pink piggies and one with black horses… all Red Ted’s idea! Go Red Ted!

What is your favourite thing about Spring?

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list.

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

If you enjoy blog hops and link up parties.. do go and the fabulous Play AcademySomething for the Weekendevery Friday and Monkeys Doodles every Monday!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: Calendar, Kids Craft, Seasons, Spring

1. Andrea says:

Oh my gosh fantastic pictures!!! I’m stealing this idea for my memory bank for the future:) Thanks for hosting the link party!
    ~Jada Roo Can Do~

2. Love the trees!! And the robins are adorable too!

3. Natalie says:

What a terrific project! I love your calendar idea very much too. We also really like Mook book.

4. Alethea says:

Oh how adorable! I love the little lambs, and the robins are fabulous!

5. camille says:

it’s lovely, good use of bubble wrap :)

6. MyKidsMake says:

that artwork is fantastic!!!

7. Kerri says:

Love cherry blossoms too! We got to see them in DC last spring and they were magnificent!

Thanks for the book recommendation and adore the craft too!

Thanks for hosting the link up!

Kerri

8. Isil says:

I love this calender idea. Thanks for the inspiration!

9. Esther says:

I love the pink blossoms and the grazing herd of sheep in the meadow! Birds Chirping and the blossoms are my favorite things about spring!

10. Wonder Mom says:

Way to go, Red Ted!

(It’s always fun when you notice a child’s progress!)

11. Bev says:

I think if you love blossom you would like it here. We live right in the middle of the apple and pear growing part of Belgium and are surrounded by fruit trees. It looks very pretty when they are all in bloom.

Our neighbour has a little paddock at the end of his garden with a mumm and daddy sheep….little lambs are coming soon and Ollie cannot wait! :)

Your pictures ae so lovely, I think we will have to try the bubble wrap idea!

Ooooh I am jealous!! Blossom is my favourite thing about spring!!!

13. Bev says:

I love those huge pink blossom trees that drop confettli like petals everywhere. When I was at school we had a hug one on the school grounds and used to shake the branches so we were covered in it! :)

Aaaargh you are making more jealous! That is my dream spring activity!! We used to make piles of cherry blossom in a small “den” we found… so beautiful!

15. maria says:

Wonderful artwork, well done Red Ted! I love how you are keeping the same style and changing the seasons…the lambs are lovely:)

16. Fabulous! Love the bubble wrap idea for the blossoms! The sheep are adorable too!

17. Slimavite says:

Hey thats quite a good idea! I think a picture of daffodils would look nice too as they are just starting to bloom!

18. I love this art project!! This reminds me of a new book I just read a review of about the cherry trees in Washington, D.C. Now I’m off to read your book review.

19. Janelle says:

How lovely! We made a blossom picture a few years back that looked very similar except we added scrunched up tissue paper blossoms. My favorite part of spring is just being able to go outside again without freezing my tush off! Winter gets pretty long where we live!

Oh Janelle you made me chuckle! Yes of course… the lovely warmer weather is definitely the best part of Spring!

20. Catherine says:

Another fantastic RedTed creation! :) I love the bubble wrap blossom, & those lambs are so cute!

21. JDaniel4's Mom says:

The sheep are super cute! I love the blooms too.

Thanks for sharing this post on Read.Explore.Learn.

22. EmilyM says:

Great ideas. Thanks for the invite to join!

23. Sheri says:

Interesting. Thanks for letting me know about your contest/challenge. I will try and get involved in it with my kids. Your link/picture will be added to my side bar today. :)

Emily thank you for stopping by and joining in! :-)

25. kewkew says:

I love your bubble wrap prints. Nothing wrong with using the same tree! We should probably get a spring picture done too. I love fingerprint activities. I really love your season pictures.

26. brilliant use of bubble wrap printing, thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

27. Lovely picture Maggy – and so nice to have it as a record of how Red Ted is growing too. Thanks for linking up with the Play Academy!

28. Kimberlee says:

That is a super craft idea. I love how the ‘leaves/blossoms’ look. Visiting from Santa’s Gift Shoppe party.
    ~Kimberlee
    {$15 Amazon GC Giveaway}

29. Michelle Twin Mum says:

Alwasy good to make those trees work for their money! Glad to see them come out again and again! lol

Thanks for joining in R2BC.

Mich x

30. Messy Missy says:

Love the bubble wrap blossoms. I’ve been planning on using bubble wrap as a printing tool during the kiddo craft time I host at my library. That’s a great use of it!! Thanks for linking up to Marvelously Messy….be sure to stop in next Monday for another party!!

31. Rachel says:

That is so cute! What a fun project!

Thank you so much for sharing this at last week’s For the Kids Friday link party! This week’s party is up and running. If you haven’t already stopped by, I’d love to have you sharing again this week!

:)rachel at SunScholars.blogspot.com

32. Jude says:

Thanks for linking this to Mini-Masterpieces. I can’t decide which I like the best, winter with the robins, or spring with the sheep!