Kids Get Crafty: (London) City Postcards - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Get Crafty: (London) City Postcards

| June 1, 2011 | 42 Comments

Hello! Today we made our own potato print city postcards! We had lots of fun making them (well maybe I did more than Red Ted… mmh…) and found a lovely book to go with them. Potato printing is a fabulous craft for kids – it is easy and quick to do at home – and usually you have all the materials to hand. Kids can practice motor skills whilst exploring colours. Use cookie cutters to help you “cut out” nice shapes!

They were inspired by a number of things:

1) Zoe from Playing By The Book’s great postcard swap

2) The fact we live in London and I wanted our postcards to reflect this (though they look more New York, than London..)

3) Our Ink Stamp Card Guest Post from a few weeks back

4) AND a lovely book

Firstly the Book

Follow the LineFollow The Line, Laura Ljungklist

This is a lovely book that will appeal to all “design geeks”… it is wonderfully illustrated and just that little bit different. It starts off in the morning – following a line around the city, through traffic, the ocean, country side etc until it is time for bed. The line becomes skyscrapers, cars, boats etc. It feels quite interactive, as you can “follow the line” with your finger and as you go through the pages you get to count different things (like fire hydrants or cars with lights on). So lots to look at and explore. We love it.

x

The Craft

We decided to make a city scape out of potato prints to represent London – of course Big Ben, the London Eye, St Paul’s Cathedral and the Gherkin would have been better icons, but I am not that skilled in potato cutting!!!! So skyscrapers it was. Red Ted love the book – the only downside was, he kept asking for “extra details” the book had (e.g. a clock) and our potatoes didn’t have these – if we had more time, I could have cut extra parts, I am sure.. and we could have used our potato blocks as “building blocks” and created all sorts of wonders. But we only have postcards to make… so…

It took him a while to get the hang of “not wiggling” the potato. So we did a “free for all” painting first, with sky and sun and prints (he LOVED this bit: Note to self: Red Ted is getting older and needs to explore more by himself… less mummy meddling). Then we did the postcards.

Interestingly Red Ted is now really into colour theory and mixing colours (esp pink!)

I confess, I did a lot of helping – sorry. But we *needed them* for the great swap. And we did do the “free painting”… uhm, so I feel ok about it. Really, I do.

city Potato Print Potato Printing

As it didn’t look that London like, we added a plane with a London banner. Done.

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list.

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Card making, Kids Craft

1. Zoe says:

Beautiful! Really very lovely. So many people have told me I would like this book… our library doesn’t have it, and it hasn’t (yet) reached the top of my wishlist… I hope it won’t be long before you receive your first cards as part of the swap

We were so into them, that we sent extra cards to friends with children! Hope you get to have a look at the book soon :-)

2. Maggy these are really lovely. We’ve only done potato printing once. I think I must be a little too unco-ordinated because it took such an effort for me to carve them and then when J was stamping with them you couldn’t even make out what shapes they were! So I am VERY impressed that yours actually looked like buildings :)

3. andrea says:

I love those post cards! I just love how the buildings turned out:)
    ~jada roo can do

4. Liz Burton says:

OK this is a really ‘bad mother’ thing to admit, but looking at your potatoes I’ve thought of a quicker way round it!! do they or do they not look a bit like Potato Waffles??!! Of course, I never feed my kids such junk, err I’ve seen them on the telly…?

They look great, I love them. Trying hard to think of some icinic building of my town and struggling!

5. How creative! It looks like a lot of fun. :)

6. MyKidsMake says:

those look great! I love the potato stamp idea..and that you made them into buildings {the fingerprint tree is a wonderful addition}. Your cards are fantastic!!!

Liz – Hehe yes they have a similarity with potato waffles!

Kate – have you tried using cookie cutters – cut the potato in half. push the cutter in and then use a knife to cut round the cutter. lift the cutter off… and hey presto?

And thank you for the other lovely comments – Red Ted LOVES doing anything with fingerprints!!

8. How fun! I ahve not done potato prints like this yet! I think the girls would enjoy it – we must try some this summer! Now to think of what design I can make on a potato! :)

Always such fun ideas here!

Bernadette

9. Hi Maggy – I didn’t have anything from LocalFunforKids to link up. But, this week, I wrote a blog post for a friend’s blog ‘Preschool Buddy’ so I linked that up this week. It’s a really cool sensory box. I hope that’s okay. : ) Thanks, Heather

10. Esther says:

Lovely potato stamping! I like the city scene with the flight and the banner!

I was thinking of a similar art project but I was thinking of using masking tape.

Oh Esther I bet it would look lovely with masking tape! Great idea!

12. Janelle says:

That’s fabulous that you made your own postcards. We cheated and sent out regular old printed state cards for Zoe’s swap. I haven’t seen that book, but the author’s newest “Follow the Line to School” is on our “want to read” list this year.

Janelle – that isn’t cheating!! “normal cards” or postcards are just as fab… just I have a craft blog.. so feel I should do something crafty (plus we had fun!!!) x

14. mummiafelice says:

Another fabulous idea! LOVE IT!

15. Rashi says:

Maggy, I really love your potato print idea and the buildings turned out so well. I want to try it too. Thanks for sharing this wonderful activity for kids.

Heather – Absolutely and THANK YOU :-)

17. Wow! These are great! I haven’t seen this book, but I’ll definitely be on the lookout for it! Thanks for linking up to RAT!

Thank you Amy!

19. Awesome idea! We did apple printing a while back, but haven’t done potato.

You’re welcome to link up with me at my new linky party for kiddos:

20. What a great idea! I remember doing potato prints in school. I must try this with my kiddos. Thanks for sharing.

Krissy – done!
    Eclectic Musingshttp – - Oh I do hope you have a go!

22. love this one, thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday and finally came to your blog when I could actually link up on your party, yippee! All the best, Sara

Oooh lovely to have you visit “just in time” for the linky, Sara ;-) and thank you for your fab party each week too!

24. jfb57 says:

I can remember doing these when I was little but they never looked like these fab ones! Great for all ages. I can imagine some really artistic ideas from the older pupils. Thanks Maggy!

25. Didineadoree says:

Hi !

We have well received your beautiful postcard and we have enjoyed it.

Rose loves to send and receive letters and postcards, so if you give me your address, we could send you a thank you letter.

Lots of love from France !
    Adeline and Rose

26. Callie Feyen says:

What a great activity! Those postcards are gorgeous! Wish they sold those in the drugstores! :) Thanks for sharing.

27. Isil says:

Many thanks for linking up to Book Sharing Monday.We love this book too and your cards are very pretty :)

28. mermaid says:

Lovely postcards! So when can I buy some then?:)

29. Aimee says:

Printmaking with food is oh so fun! Again thanks for linking up at The Sunday Showcase!
    Aimee
    Classified: Mom

Aaaah thank you all for your kind comments.. and hehehe they are a “limited edition” only! ;-)

31. Catching up on some neglected links. Thanks for linking up at Feed Me Books Friday! We found Follow the Line at our library and LOVED it! Your postcards turned out super cute!

32. Lisha says:

Great idea…although I wonder if I could cut out building shapes so neatly! Any tips or tricks?

Secondly, have you tried painting with beetroot? This same idea could be extended to moist beetroots and you don’t even need paint! Naturally pink buildings perfect for Valentine’s Day!!! :-D