Kids Crafts: Sunflower Thank You Cards - Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Sunflower Thank You Cards

| June 29, 2011 | 44 Comments

What isn’t there to love about Sunflowers? What better motif for Fingerprint Thank You Cards! This year we decided to take part in Nurture Store’s Sunflower Challenge, which is also linked to raising funds and awareness for the Compton Hospice. And to celebrate the challenge coming to an end at the end of the month, Nurture Store has challenged us to a sunflower craft! Hooray!

I was a little “annoyed” with myself for missing the opportunity to make our Sunshine Flag into a Sunflower Flag… But I didn’t think of it that day. Hey ho. Instead… we made some lovely Sunflower Thank You Cards using our fingerprints (we seemed to be forever saying thank you to people – this time it is Granny and Grandpa again for all their babysitting at the weekend). They were quick. Easy and hopefully “lovely”.

The Book

Camille and the Sunflowers (Anholt's Artists)Well.. one book springs to mind straight away Camille and the Sunflowers, Laurence Anholt... this is the story of Vincent van Gogh through the eyes of a young postman’s son Camille (himself a subject of van Gogh’s paintings) It is indeed a little sad, as van Gogh life itself was one of non-acceptance and only late recognition. But it is beautifully told – bringing to life van Gogh’s paintings, as well as teaching your children about “being different”.

The Craft

Like I said: quick and easy, as we were “late” with out inspirational craft. But I love the result and I know Granny will to: Fingerprint Sunflower Cards!! Materials: Card stock (or paper folded), yellow paint, black or brown paint, green pen. Fingers.

1. Mmh, oh, so you can’t see much on this photo.. but Red Ted is basically putting some yellow blobs on the card. Followed by black little blobs…

fingerpint sunflowers

2. Then I let him do what he wanted… a big “messy” picture for Grandpa…

sunflower thumbprint cards

3. Add the stems and leaves. And FINISHED.

And here is our sunflower – I am pretty certain it isn’t the tallest, so will not win, however, it was the first to bloom! We have more in the backgarden, that are as tall as me – but they are from a different batch of seeds!

sunflower

On the 27th June it is 125cm (49.5″) tall – including petals it is 130cm, but they are starting to wilt… Our “other one” is a whopping 170cm. I am impressed.

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list. If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Card making, Flowers, Kids Craft, Summer

1. I love sunflowers so would love to get one of these. Definitely going to tell the teachers about this one!

2. Ross Mannell says:

A simple yet effective idea. I think children would love this activity, especially if they’re allowed to do a messy picture afterwards. :)

Ross Mannell (teacher)
    Australia

Aaah thanks Julia, you always leave such nice comments! And yes, Ross, messy is always good!

4. Such a pretty sunflower Maggy. Thanks for all your support with the Sunflower Challenge.

My pleasure Cathy – it is great to see the kids get all excited about the beautiful flowers and how big they are getting!

6. se7en says:

Hehe I was waiting for your post to link up!!! We are dying to read that book and it is just not in the library!!! Love your sunny sunflowers!!! Have a good day!!!

7. artsy_momma says:

How perfect for grandparents! Can I feature the cards in an upcoming saturday’s spotlight all about sunflowers later this month? :)

8. Zoe says:

Lovely looking cards Maggy! I’ve yet to measure ours… first thing tomorrow morning!

I am pretty certain yours will be bigger!!

10. Gorgeous! I want to see a CLOSE up of the cards, thanks :-)

Ah thanks.. and uhm.. we have posted 3 of them already.. but you know, I am sure I took more photos… will have a dig in the photo file!

Thanks for all the other lovely comments..

11. Rashi says:

Very cute cards Maggy, Thanks for sharing such a wonderful activity for kids.

12. mummiafelice says:

Those are just amazing. So simple, but so beautiful. I’ve been really bad with crafts for the kids lately. Must change that!

Thanks for linking up!

13. Fun idea and I love the messy pictures. : ) I’m now following. Please come visit me at http://www.funfrugalmommy.blogspot.com

14. Is there anything jollier than a sunflower?! These are lovely, thanks for sharing. x

15. JDaniel4's Mom says:

The people that receive these will love them. What a wonderful craft.

16. These are so lovely. I’ve been afraid to plant sunflowers because we don’t get much light. Maybe next year…

17. Emma says:

Lovely, so simple, but so sweet. x

18. Love how you made them into cards! We made handprint sunflowers:)

19. Lindsay says:

I absolutely adore sunflowers. With 6-7 year olds this week we re-told the story of Camille and the Sunflowers and created artworks using paint and pastels. Lovely fun. :))

20. Kristy says:

Very cute! I like how you let him make whatever he wanted afterward, which was a messy picture. We have some fabulous messy creations at our house, too. :) Visiting you from the Read. Explore. Learn Summer Reading Challenge.

21. Fran says:

My girls will love doing these! We did thumbprint chicks at Easter but never thought of Sunflowers, is there a happier flower?
    Found the link on BritMums btw

Fran x

22. Simple and pretty. Perfect =)

23. Callie Feyen says:

I LOVE this! They turned out great, and I love the book you used to go along with it. Such a lovely story. (stopping by from weteach)

24. Isil says:

thanks for linking up to Book Sharing Monday,what a beautiful book!

25. Twiggy says:

Brilliant, think I’ll make some of these with my boy for his teachers
    Twiggy x

26. Beautiful! We’ll have to plant sunflowers next year. We usually do. Love the paintings, book, and pictures of your sunflowers!

27. Carolyn says:

They look fantastic. I love home crafted cards.

28. dorria says:

Sunflowers are Captivating …. great Idea make it in thankfulness cards …I love it

Aaah thank you! We were really pleased with them… and they were so easy for our little ones to make!

30. artsy_momma says:

The Sunflower Post is up- thanks for letting me feature your craft!

THANK YOU for featuring it!! :-)