Kids Crafts: Loo Roll Animal Zoo - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Loo Roll Animal Zoo

| July 6, 2011 | 50 Comments

toilet roll zoo Welcome back to Kids Get Crafty! Today, we are using my ever so favourite “household item” for crafting: the humbled loo roll to make a whole Animal Zoo! As you know, I am a fan of loo rolls and have even written a small ebook on. Do go check it out! Today’s craft, was inspired by Pip Squeak’s current favourite book EVER – Who Is Hiding… you will see more in a minute…

The Book

Who's Hiding?Who is Hiding, by Satoru Onishi. I bought this book ages ago for Red Ted, who was less interested in it. Maybe it is an age thing,  I don’t know? Pip Squeak (coming up to 20mths) adores it and has for quite some time. The books is simple: each double spread page has 24 animals depicted (you can see 12 on the cover). They drawn in a simple colourful style. As you turn the pages, the background changes in colour – e.g. blue, so that in that case the bunny and pig “disappear” as their body colour blends into the background colour (see cover, they are blue) and the child is asked “who is hiding?”… To mix it up a little, there is also a “Who is sleeping?” and a “Who is crying?” page etc. And the page that mine like best:  “Who is backward?” For some reason, in our house this translates into “Who is showing us their bottom?”… and Pip Squeak loves tapping her bottom and saying “Po-Po” (in German). Very sweet, simple book with appeal to “design geeks”.

The Craft

It dawned on my one day (as we were reading the book AGAIN), that some of the animals were perfect “loo roll shapes”. Trim a bit at top and bottom for ears and legs and hey presto….

Materials: Loo rolls, paint, bits of felt, glue , black marker pen for features and googly eyes (optional)

The googly eyes are optional – on some of the animals I cut out paper eyes and I have to say, I prefer these, as they look more like the original book.. but you know how much children love the googly eyes!

Crafting with kids painting with kids

1. The kids painted

toilet roll crafts

2. Pip Squeak loves painting so much she kept signing “more”… “more more more paint” (or at least that is the sign we use at home for “more”…

toilet roll animals

3. Once dried, I cut out some ears and some feet. Red Ted helped me stick on googly eyes and other features. E.g. for the lion’s mane, we cut a circular piece of felt with squiggly edges and cut a whole in the centre… For the elephant and rabbit we had painted an extra blue loo roll to cut ears from. The rabbit’s ears we glue on the elephant’s ear’s we “slotted” into “slats” we cut. And for example the cat’s ears are part of the original roll – I just cut the roll “down” – leaving two triangles.

4. And don’t forget the bottoms (Po-Po)…

Caution: you may be roped into making 24 animals – which quite some task… I reigned it in after 8, that was quite enough!!!!

We love our zoo and it plays happily along side our pirates , monsters and penguins.

Featured on:

Copycat Crafts

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list. If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Loo Rolls

1. Cerys says:

I love the idea – we’ve been collecting Loo rolls but have thought that mine were a little too young to use – but now I’ve seen your 20month old crafting with them I don’t think we all. Also haven’t heard of the book but will watch out for it at the library.

2. Amanda says:

You beat me to it! I had zoo animals on my list but haven’t gotten there yet. I love how you used the book characters for inspiration!

Ah, but Amanda, the beautiful Loo Roll creations is that they all look so different! I know you will make a splendid zoo.. your animals are always fabulous!

4. Esther says:

The animals are so adorable!

Cerys – go for it! Your little one will love it!

And thank you Esther!

Maggy

6. Isil says:

wow, these are ADORABLE!As you know we have the book and they are just the same :) perfect!

Isil – when I saw your book review last week… I knew you would like this post! You should have seen Pip Squeak’s delight to have seen her “book come to life”!

8. Maggy – I just LOVE your TP roll zoo animals! We are making TP roll actopus today – so fun to work with TP rolls and turn them into somehting so fun & cute! :) I am getting quite addicted to using them, haha!

9. Emma says:

These are so cute ~ your little ones are so lucky to have such a creative mummy!

10. artsy_momma says:

Sounds like a book my little man would get a kick out of :) What a perfect craft to go along with it! The elephant one is my favorite.

11. Just love these, they all are so adorable!!

AAaaah than you for all your lovely comments *BEAM*

13. Patricia L says:

Super! I’ve been saving TP rolls and egg cartons this summer. I just *knew* I’d find something we could do eventually. Now onto egg carton crafts…

Found you @ momnivore’s dilemma.

14. Marianne says:

What a great idea! They’re sooo cute…what would the world do without creative people?

Happy days to you,
    Marianne

15. mummiafelice says:

Just fantastic! You are so clever!

Thanks for linking up :)

16. Salma says:

we made some yesterday! will send pictures soon!
    xs

17. Rashi says:

very cool…I love the idea of making all the animals with Loo rolls.

18. I’ve seen this book somewhere before, but I had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder! I love the craft, too. Fun!

19. Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn. This post counts as an enty in the July Edition of the Summer Reading Challenge.

These are super cute! I love them from the front and back. They will be great for retelling.

20. These are so cute! I’ve been saving all of our toilet paper rolls just knowing that I would come across something really cute to do with them. Now I just have to see if I can find this book at our local library.

Hooray for TP stashes!! Good luck with finding it at the library – I was surprised to find a copy at ours! :-)

21. Jill says:

Thanks for posting this. I love this idea. So cute!

22. martha says:

love this idea!! I will have to try it with my girls. :)

23. Allie says:

I love toilet paper roll anything but these are just great! My daughter’s more looks a lot like yours too :)

24. adorable! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday. By the way, I sent you that link on a reply to your comment on my post. thanks so much!

25. Those are too cute! I think they would be a great addition to the kids block area!

26. Natalie says:

What a cute craft to complement the book. I can’t believe that Pip Squeak gets to do art too nowadays. Thanks for joining WMCIR!

27. April says:

Those are so adorable, I would probably play with those all by myself!

Coming thru from Link & Learn

28. huana says:

I just love them! On my to do list!

29. Mandi says:

This is such a cute craft! I’ll be gathering my rolls over the next week so that the kids can do this! Adorable!

Mandi from boredombustingmommy.blogspot.com

30. Aimee says:

Those are adorable- imagine all the creative play! Thank you for sharing this with us on The Sunday Showcase!

31. GoodynuffMum says:

These are brilliant. Love the lion. I reckon you could make good humans this way too.

32. Amanda says:

Hi Maggy! We liked this so much over at Copycat Crafts that we have decided to feature it today! You can view it here

We’d love it if you’d like to display a featured button! You can grab your button on the right hand side of your post. Thanks!

Oooh wonderful, thank you! Have grabbed and added the button to the post! Thank you :-)

34. Hi dear playfriend,
    What a loovely :) craft activity with a big possibility to active drama play afterwards!
    Thanks for linking up to the children and animal at play WorldAnimalDay bloghop!!
    Lovely greetings, Angelique

35. Ohhhhhhhhhh… so pretty. Thanks for linking in. Can’t wait to feature them. My blog readers are going to love this :)