How to... make a No Knit Knitted Christmas Stocking - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

How to… make a No Knit Knitted Christmas Stocking

| July 8, 2011 | 46 Comments

Hello! Welcome back to this week’s “How To”… today, I show you an oh so simple “no knit” Knitted Christmas Stocking. This forms part of the “Christmas in July” season. Which is designed to give you plenty of time to hunt around for any materials and get your crafts made!

Christmas Jumper Craft

I saw this idea on this & that round about the 23rd Dec 2010…. and made some there and then. Such a fab and simple idea..

So, without further ado:

Materials: an old jumper (if you are lucky it will be enough for 2 stockings), thread & needle, felt for decorating

In December last year I was still a disliker of sewing machines. Now I am a sewing convert… so, you can hand stitch this or use a sewing machine! Your choice!

tutorial Christmas stocking Simple christmas stocking

1. I used a much loved moth eaten jumper of mine. And was so pleased to be able to recycle it. I was rather pleased with myself when I also “recycled” the little turquoise buttons it came with! Later I bought an additional jumper in the charity shop and made one of The Englishman. I need to make another for myself this summer… Lay your jumper out neatly and look at where your largest surface area is. I think it is nice to use the original’s jumper’s ribbing as the top part of your stocking. This gives it a nice neat edge. I was lucky that when I cut off the arms and opened them up, there was enough surface for a 2nd stocking. My charity shop jumper had tighter arms, so wasn’t big enough for two.

knit Christmas stocking jumper to stocking

2. Make a stocking shape with pins and sew all along them. You can of course cut a stocking shape first – just trace it on newspaper first. I tried to make sure that my stripes aligned! But I am sure no one will mind if yours don’t!

recycled jumper stocking how to make stockings

3. Cut & make a little loop with any remaining ribbing.

no knit christmas stocking christmas stockings

4. Use some felt scraps to add initials and Christmas details.

easy christmas stocking

Done! Aren’t these “No Knit Knitted Christmas Stockings” just simply adorable? I did have to darn some moth holes.. but thought that for stockings you can get away with it… opposed to wearing a moth eaten jumper!

Tags: , , ,

Category: Christmas, How To's, Knitting

1. Salma says:

Love, love, love…

:-) thank you Salma! I am TOTALLY in love with ours…. just need to make one more….

3. Aly says:

The girls were knitted jumpers at Christmas which were a bit too bright and Caitlins’ was too small.This would be a great way to recycle them.

Perfect Aly!

5. Jingle Bells! I LOVE this. I am thinking I could make a whole string of them with some of the children’s jumpers I can’t bear to part with!

6. Natasha says:

That is such a great idea! How exciting to see such wonderful Christmas ideas in July!

Best wishes and happy weekend,
    Natasha.

7. These are super cute!

Happy Making Everyone!

9. Love this – so pretty! Why is it whenever I try to do something with an old jumper it just looks like, well, an old jumper?!

Ah yes, there is that problem! I have learnt to take care what exactly I use for recycling – an old greying shirt will still look old and grey when reused.. so not all “old” things are suitable…

10. karen says:

very clever! If i remember (my memory leave a great deal to be desired these days!) I’ll do these near the end of the Autumn term in my Textiles lessons with my Year 8 boys! The topic? Upcycling!
    x

11. Cerys says:

Ohhh I love this idea – I can see it going into my homemade christmas posts very soon and also a great idea for some presents – could make small ones and fill with homemade bath bombs

12. bj says:

How cute !! I wish more people would start with their Christmas projects so we could get a jump on all of them. I end up seeing something I’d love to make for Christmas but it’s already too close to Christmas.
    xo bj

13. Erin Brophy says:

I love it! A great idea for my old sweaters. Ah…the endless possibilities.

14. I love this idea! A great way to upcycle, and a “cheat” for those cute hand-knitted stockings you see everywhere! I will be featuring this on my blog tomorrow for Three Things Thursday! Hope you’ll drop by, check it out, and grab a featured button if you like!

Valerie- http://www.occasionallycrafty.blogspot.com

15. Guess who will be scouring the charity shops in the coming weeks!? Lovely idea.

16. mummiafelice says:

Squeeee! Loving this idea too… ohh I’ve come over all festive!!!

Thanks for linking up to Handmade Thursday!

17. Marianne says:

A fantastic idea! Your stockings came out darling. I like the the knitted fabric you used…very Christmas-y I will definitely have to try this. A friend and I were thinking of making Christmas stockings for the children at a local safe house. We crocheted them one year. But I think it might be fun to try this. Thank you for the tutorial.

Have a gloriously creative day,
    Marianne

Ooh how lovely! They would be perfect for the safe house – as you can make more of them quickly and they still look lovely!

18. Jane Willis says:

What a lovely idea. I used to make a lot of Christmas stockings when I had my knitting machine but they were never this easy!

19. Liz Burton says:

These are adorable. Now I’ve got a great reason to go looking in charity shops (like I need one!!)

20. Annie says:

Great idea – I am going to get organised and make these !

21. Genius – I, who failed to even knit a decent scarf for my Sindy doll, may even be tempted to have a go myself they look so lovely. x

Yes!! You should, this is perfect “Knitting Stocking” for those amongst us who don’t knit.. actually, I knit and this is still perfect!!!

22. Tracy Dixon says:

Briliant idea, love it! I might have to try this for Christmas

23. Lindsey says:

This truly is perfect for those of us who can’t knit. (Me!) The homemade stockings I started 9 years ago are sitting unfinished in a box. My kids would love this. We have some old sweaters with holes that we could easily turn into stockings.

I would love for you to submit this to the Make and Takes spotlight page (http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight). I think it would be a perfect fit.

Thank you Tracy & Lindsey! Lindsey – have submitted!

25. Rebecca says:

Great tutorial. They look fab. Hope you’ve made one for you too. I’m sure Santa will bring you some lovely crafty goodies!

Ah yes, a stocking full of crafty goodness would be lovely :-)

27. Mama Pea Pod says:

Wow, how wonderful! I’ve been thinking that Sweet Pea really needs to have her own special Christmas stocking, since her older sister has my special stocking that was made for me when I was born, but poor Sweet Pea has nothing special. This is so fabulous that it might just inspire me to actually sew something!! (Oh, and I still have every. single. item. they’ve ever worn! Can’t bear to part with them – so this would be perfect for me!)

Oh how lovely lovely lovely! Am so pleased! DO make something and send me a picture? I would LOVE to see it!
    (PS you must have a lot of storage space!!!!!)

29. Christie says:

These are so cute!! Great job

30. Christine says:

These are so cute! They turned out very festive for a non-Christmas themed jumper. I might have to try this with some old sweaters…..

31. Karyn says:

Great idea! If you have a chance, I would love to have you link up to my craf & recipe linky at Rhings that make you say mmmmm!

Thanks for sharing!

Done!

33. Definetly going to make a couple!