Quick Kids Craft: Stick Men - Red Ted Art's Blog

Quick Kids Craft: Stick Men

| August 18, 2011 | 29 Comments

What crafts to make with sticks? Easy! Remember our Stick Men from ages ago? Well we made more!

crafts with sticks

Pip Squeak had a go too – you can see the one with the squished fabric! She added tons of glue and squished it on. I think it looks rather lovely and robe like!!

Red Ted now likes to practice counting with these (especially pointing out that more of them are his).

So.. now get your Nature Bags, go find some sticks and Get Crafty!

Want more Stick Crafts? Check out:

10 Stick Crafts - finally get crafty with all those sticks brought back from walks

UPDATE: Having seen our photo above:

Oooh a reader and friend sent me this picture of her stick men! Hooray! I am sure that anthropologists would delight at these colourful men. I love the addition of pipecleaners, hats and hair!

stick men

And check out these giants sent to me via twitter @TinyTinRobot using wrapping paper & ribbons. Brilliant!

stick men

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Nature, Recycling

1. GoodynuffMum says:

These are lovely. I like the idea of leaving some in the park to make passers by laugh. I think eyes and glue are going to be permanent fixtures in my handbag now.

2. GoodynuffMum says:

Do you just keep old clothes to cut up for material or do you buy material?

3. My kids picked up so many sticks on our walk yesterday! We should try this. Your stick men are very cute.

Oh my, I LOVE the idea of leaving some in the park! How funny!! And imagine if a dog found it…

And yes, we use old children’s clothes. In this example we used some old socks and jeans :-)

(only stuff that is too worn out to pass along to other families!)

6. Esther says:

love it! Perfect craft for the stick man book!

7. It would be fun to take a nature hike specifically to look for sticks that look like they have arms and legs. Then add the clothes and eyes when you return. I love the idea of using this activity with the Stick Man book (happens to be a favorite book in our house).

8. Ahhh. How lovely!

We’ve just returned from Edinburgh and all enjoyed ‘Stick Man – the show!’ at the Fringe Festival.

We’re keen to collect some sticks, attach some googly eyes, make them some clothes and get ourselves a Stick Family Tree! Just need this rain to stop (a bit) x

Ooooh lucky you! Would love to see the show! Will have to check on whether it will tour…

Now – rain rain go away.. people have stick men to make!

10. northernmum says:

Oh oh oh I think I can do this one *rushes off to attack tree*

11. Only just seen this! twitter makes sense now! We will make a lot this weekend, I’m quite excited. They are fab! xx

Yay! Stick Men Families all over the World :-)

13. se7en says:

Oh I love your Stick Men… We made some for the Crafty Crow and they have been hanging above my kitchen sink for weeks!!! http://www.se7en.org.za/2011/06/10/se7en-welcomes-the-crafty-crow

14. kasia says:

thank you thank you thank you! My little one is bringing home stones and sticks since… maybe 6 months. I am not allowed to throw them away. We figured out what to do with the stones (painting them) and a blogging colleague has also given me some tips on what to do with the sticks. With your post I cannot actually wait till Tina brings more sticks home… right! thank u so much for sharing

Kasia

That put a huge smile on my face! :-)

Have a another little craft for you on Wednesday, that may help too!!!

Maggy

Se7en

I LOVE your men too!

16. Cid says:

Love them!

17. Judy says:

My kids would love this…we’ve been picking up sticks in our backyard and finally have a way to put them to good use :)

18. Aimee says:

Those are great! I bet they have rocks for pets ;-) Great project and thank you for sharing it on The Sunday Showcase

19. great project! thanks for sharing on Craft Schooling sunday!

20. April says:

What a fun activity! I love the way all of the stick men turned out,m I can see my nephew really enjoying this project. When we took down our tree, me and hubby cut up all of the useful branches for projects throughout the year, this one may have to go on the list. :)

Ooh I would love to have a set of “wooden discs” etc…. but we don’t have any wood cutting tools (nor a tree to cut down for that matter). But Stick Men do make us happy! So I am pleased you like them too!!!