Kids Craft: Food Creatures - Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Craft: Food Creatures

| October 19, 2011 | 36 Comments

vegetable animal craftWelcome back to Kids Get Crafty! Today we made lots of funny creatures from FOOD! Before you worry about any “wastage”… all food creatures came to harm in the end… and landed in the soup pot. Modelled with. Played with. And EATEN. Mwahahahahahaha. The mornings activity were inspired or more should I say encouraged by the funny people at innocent. They sent us a bunch of vegetables, toothpicks and told us to get crafty!

First a book.

The Book

Dog Food Dog Food, by Saxton Freyman – There is no book more appropriate than the series of books by Saxton Freyman – lots of funny photos based on food… Dog Food won the New York Times Best Illustrated Books Award one year. Red Ted things it is hilarious. Dogs made from bananas (see front cover), radishes, cucumbers… on and on. Lots of play on words too – e.g. “Dog Bowl” – is not a dog bowl in terms of where dogs eat from, but is a radish dog bowling with an olive as a bowling ball and half bananas as a pins. We love how all the dogs seem to have really come to life – with expressions and characters. There words are simple and few – so if you have a child learning to read, this could be a fun book to get!

The Craft

Well.. I decided to hand this one over to The Englishman.. sometimes it is nice to have a fresh take on things and the children love sitting down and doing an activity with their father too. We concentrated on the fruit and veg provided, though Red Ted asked to use an additional apple and Pip Squeak decided to eat the pear.

All fruit and veg were eaten at the end.

Materials: Veg selection: squash, cucumber, small turnip (?), carrot, pear, apple, toothpicks - they arrived in a box with black “paper wool”, so we decided to use that too

vegetable animal craft vegetable animal craft

You can’ t tell me this isn’t fun? (PS there was some “getting dressed” between Photo 1 & 2)

vegetable animal craft

Or healthy…?

Vegeable animal craft vegetable animal craft

A vegetable boy, which Red Ted name Nud and  a vegetable cat, called Eby

vegetable animal craft

And with the leftovers a vegetable pig, called Migs

Here they are all together with their names spelt out:

vegetable animal craft

What do your reckon? I think Nud looks a bit voodoo-ish…or maybe rock ‘n roll? Do you like getting crafty with vegetables?

On another note… the lovely people from Hallmark, have asked me to remind you… that you can get some wonderful and fun personalised Cristmas cards from them. Why not go and check them out?

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list. If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Disclaimer: Innocent provided us with vegetables, inspiration and fridge magnets. This post is supported by Hallmark.

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Nature

1. We are really going to have a go at this and I think get the book! What a fun idea! x

Thank you :-) Saxton Freyman has a number of books – so check out the other titles too… we only have the doggy one, and it is cute!! Have fun creating (and eating!)

3. technomole says:

Great idea, the only veg based crafts we’ve done is pumpkin carving at halloween, we do mean to try other things though, added to our crafty to do list :-)

Oooh yes, so much than pumpkins to craft with :-)

5. maria says:

How wonderful, the veggie people and animals look fantastic!

6. Ali says:

Hey love your veggie people, we will have to give this a go. What a great way to get kids to eat fruit and veg too.

7. These are so cute! I love their names.

8. oh, how fun & great that you cooked with them after playing! I was looking at your post and my Oldest walked over & instantly declared – I want to do that with vegetables! Guess we’ll have to give this a go! :)

Bern

9. camille says:

i really love your vegetable animals, lovely idea:)

I linked a post from last Halloween, we are making the webs again to replace the old ones but not quite finished yet, hope this is OK :)

10. Those vegie people are just too cute… or maybe I should say they look very delicious :)

11. Lorie says:

I love how those veggie people turned out! Thanks for hosting a great party!

12. Ackkk, Oh my…those are crazy LOL!! Talk about playing with your food hahaha Love it!!

Please link up to Hey Mom, Look What I Did on Adventures In Mommy Land…we would love to have you!!

13. Esther says:

Wow! how cute and love their names! Mig is my favorite!

:-) so pleased you guys like them. The Englishman and the kids sure had fun!

15. Maxine of the Magic Belles says:

Thanks Maggy – not only is this one of the funniest and funnest makes I’ve seen in a long time, I think I’ve just a fab Christmas pressie! xx

16. Maxine of the Magic Belles says:

Sorry that should have said ‘found’ a fab Christmas pressie!!

17. Isil says:

We have another book from Freyman,lovely. I love the veggie creations,perfect!

18. These totally crack me up. I shared them on our Facebook page. What a fun idea!

19. artsy_momma says:

That’s too cute that she ate the pear! I love the hair. We are going to have to get that book for sure…. the food animals look adorable :)

20. We need to start playing with our food! Glad they had fun with their dad! I also shared this on my facebook page – you are so clever.

21. Just loving these animals – a greta way to make food and art fun and to be able to eat it after! They are so cute!

22. Ellie says:

Love the cat, is it’s body a butternut squash? Love connecting activities to some of their story books too. Really enjoyed the link up last week so have linked up again. Thanks for hosting.

Ellie

23. LOVE those! What a great idea. xx

24. Janelle says:

We’ve made flat designs on a plate before but never thought to bump it up into super veggie 3D creations. Very crafty.

The Englishman did well!

26. kewkew says:

We got crafty with leaves. But I love these veggie crafts. My girls would love this I think. They loved when there were veggie characters at Vacation Bible School this year, they had to have their own Querky the Cucumber and such

27. Thanks for sharing these over at our Best of October link up. They seriously make me smile every time I see this post again. :)

Charlene – finally managed to link up! Thanks for the invite!

29. Thanks for linking to Hey Mom, Look What I Did!! Hope to see you again soon!