How To... Make (more) Christmas Elves - Red Ted Art's Blog

How To… Make (more) Christmas Elves

| November 11, 2011 | 21 Comments

Hello! Welcome back to this week’s How To… and this week we have even MORE Christmas Elves. I just couldn’t resist. The basic elf is the same as the ones I showed you a couple of weeks ago, but your materials are slightly different.

This time instead of gumnuts and pine cones I used the “Japanes Lantern” fruit from the Physalis plant. It is a beauftiful beautiful orange and really reminds me of Autumn.

Physalis  are a typical Autumn plant and I have seen them in a number of front gardens (I believe they may even be a weed!). They are delicate and yet strangely sturdy. And make a wonderful Autumn or Christmas craft material.

Lampionblume christmas elf

Materials: Felt, a little wool (unravelled), wooden bead, “lampionblume” (Physalis plant), ribbon, paint & brush, hot glue gun or wood glue.

christmas elves

1) Cut out your felt pieces. For the long pointy hat, you need a long triangle. The two long sides of mine are approx 7cm long. For the green collar, I cut a circle. Then made 8 cuts into and cut out 8 point “leaves”.

christmas elves

2) Unravelled you wool and take about 8 strands. With the hot glue gun, glue your hat and ribbon together and then add your “hair”. Before I glued the hair in place, I check against the wooden bead how it would look the nicests.

christmas elves physalis

3) Assemble all your pieces and glue them in place with the hot glue gun – i.e. wooden bead to hair and hat, green collar to wooden bead, physalis to green collar.

christmas elves physalis

4) Paint your face. I used acrylics, as they do not run into the grain of the wood.

Finished! I love them!!!

These little Christmas Elves sure will stand out on the Christmas Tree!

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Autumn, Christmas, How To's, Nature

1. Nicki Cawood says:

Oh they look gorgeous! Definitely one for our Christmas to-do list. I can see this being a very busy festive season! Now where will I find physalis?!

Ah yes.. the Physalis… you can make them with pine cones though, am sure they would look lovely too!!!

3. Ahhhhh Those are so cute. I used to grow Japanese lanterns in my yard. I might have to get some more plants in the spring.

Oooh what a bonus to grow them yourself!

5. made by ewe says:

These are great and such a lovely colour with the physalis – just right for a grey autumn day

6. Muminator says:

These are lovely! I’m going to try and make some with my little boy, they’ll sit perfectly on the Christmas Tree.

Made by Ewe – oh yes, I love the contrast to autumn days!
    Muminator – hooray! Have fun!

8. Maggy, these are GORGEOUS! I have popped them on my ‘really want to have a go at this’ list, Thanks so much for linking to Festive Friday on Thinly Spread! x

9. What an fantastic blog,These would be great to make with the children something that would get them all involved.Keep up the good work.

10. Those are ridiculously cute! Thank you for a wonderful tutorial.

11. Thank you for sharing at Crafty Moms Share Sharing Saturday!! These are adorable!!

12. Becky from babybudgeting says:

I love these ! They are adorevble you should take a photo and pop on cards for Christmas

13. They are sooo cute! I love them. x

14. Eek! These are so cute. Hey, btw, I didn’t realize your tweets were telling me your comments were in my spam folder on the blog – thought the tweets were spam :-) Taken care of it!

15. Margot says:

Absolutely adorable!!
    I think I will try to make them, if I find red physalis…
    Only yesterday I finished making advent calendar for my daughter and found this article in search for some more ideas.

16. Becky says:

These are adorable, thanks for linking up at Beyond the Picket Fence.