How to... make Homemade Finger Paint - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

How to… make Homemade Finger Paint

| January 20, 2012 | 85 Comments

easy finger paints recipemake your own finger paintWell… I think any self respecting Kids Craft blog should have a salt dough recipe, a play dough recipe and a finger paint recipe! Not actually having ever made finger paint myself yet, I set out to find a lovely Guest Blogger to do just that for me. And I found the gorgeous Tiffany from Easie Peasie and am SO pleased to have her visit us today! Firstly, isn’t that the most gorgeous photo of Tiffany? Not only does Tiffany create fabulous craft posts for you or your child, but she takes stunning photographs, that really brings it all to life. Check out her fun toddler crafts or her create section for more! And a note to self.. I really *must* go on a photography course. Sigh.

Over to the wonderful Tiffany:

Maybe it’s because I used to teach high school art…or perhaps it’s because I love a brand new box of crayons…or any new art supply for that matter.  Art supplies make my {heart} happy.
I tried a recipe I found recently for making homemade finger paints for Jaxon…because…you know…I’d prefer him not eat paint made with funky chemicals. And let’s be honest…he’s 15 months old and he’s going to taste-test it. I just know it. I loved how these turned out and I had to share.

how to make finger paints recipe

Aren’t they so pretty!!! Yaaaay! I’m totally in love with them!
I used left-over baby food jars for containers…you know the ones you hang on to because you swear they are good for something!. Lol.

**Please note:  If you add too much cornstarch you will get gloppy paint. Just reduce cornstarch or thin with water for a smoother texture.

Also – I NEVER said these were meant to be literally EATEN by kiddos. When we made these – Jaxon was at the stage where  he was putting everything in his mouth and I didn’t want him to accidentally eat some crazy store-bought paints. For me at least these were safer and homemade. This is NOT EDIBLE paints for kids ! Thank you bunches!!

Here’s the recipe:

• 3 tbs sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup corn startch
  • 2 cups water

Combine ingredients in small saucepan. Warm until mixture thickens. Cool & pour in containers. Add food coloring to create desired colours. Enjoy!
XoXo
homemade finger paint

Aaah thank you Tiffany! What gorgeous looking finger paints! And great to know that they are non toxic. We will most certainly have a go at making some of these. Fabulous. Don’t forget to stop by at Easie Peasie for more wonderful ideas!

If you liked the Finger Paint recipe, you may also enjoy this great Ice Cube Painting Idea:

ice-cube-painting

Tags: , , ,

Category: How To's, Kids Craft, Recipes

1. Kelly Wiffin says:

Fantastic! I have bookmarked this page! Thank you for posting this!

Fabulous! I am making some too!!!

3. Elizabeth says:

I love love love this! I\’m a sucker for art supplies too!

4. Who would have thought that paint could be so easy to make yourself, and the photos os all those beautiful colours lined up together has really inspired me. Great post, thanks!

5. They look gorgeous, I might have to have a go at these myself x

6. Those are some beautiful colors!!

7. Karla says:

Love these! I\’ve made playdough and chalk paint and a bunch of other things but haven\’t tried these. Next on my list!

Thank you Laura and Yummy Mummy! I think these are definitely worth a try!! And I agree – don’t the colours look fabulous?

9. Love this idea! Great colours too.

10. Ooh so fab – LOVE this idea, the bright colours – I feel a mess coming on this way soon (in the best possible way!!) Jenxx

11. MiaB says:

How neat!!! the colors are gorgeous!!! I didn\’t know you can make your own paint… must try this sometime soon :)

~MiaB

Jen – definitely a good kind of messy!!!
    MiaB – absolutely! Homemade stuff is soooo much fun!

13. Helen says:

I\’ve been wanting to do some painting with my little boy for ages, but he\’s also 15 months and still puts anything and everything in his mouth! I\’ll definately be making some of these over the weekend :)

Fabulous!! Just note – these are not edible paints, but I guess they are NON TOXIC, as you use food colouring from them home etc…

14. Lindsi B says:

Oh wow those are such BOLD and BRIGHT colors! Visiting from TGIF. I\’d love to invite you to link up with us for Fun Stuff Fridays. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-7.html

15. Willoe says:

Those colours are great! I\’ll have to try this out some time. I was just wondering with the addition of sugar, are there any issues with insects being attracted to the finished pieces??

Cheers,

16. These are so on the to do list! I want them to just look good in the playroom, they are so pretty! How long do they last for?

Thanks for linking to Family Frolics! Hope to see you there again! x

@Multiple Mummy I will ask Tiffany!

18. Becky says:

I just made this and am absolutely amazed! My little man had a great time painting, hair and all! I was just wondering about storing left overs. Do they need to be refridgerated or how long do they last? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks for the post.

I have sent Tiffany an email asking, if in doubt, I would store it in the fridge – and it is sure to last a little while. Will let you know when I hear from the finger paint guru!!

PS am chuffed to bits that you had a go and had such a lovely time!!

19. Jenny says:

These are great! Pinning this so I can make some for my little guy soon.

20. Beth says:

LOVE this!! What a wonderful idea & I can\’t wait to try your recipe!!! Your picture are stunning too!! I shared with my Facebook readers & am a new Liker =) Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a great week,
    Beth =-)

21. katie says:

I love it, and what a great use for my baby food jars too! Pinning it! You should join me for Handmade 52! http://raisingoranges.blogspot.com/2012/01/handmade-52-3.html

22. KIMNLEWIS says:

Excellent idea!! I make alot of jewelry making… would this product wash off or rub off easily? I’m thinking it would!! Just a thought!!

23. Karen says:

Oh wow! This is great… thank you so much!

24. gorgeous photos! I have never tried making homemade paint but it seems doable! :)

Thanks for sharing on The Sunday Showcase! :)

25. Just what I needed – something safe, but not edible. I don\’t want my son to keep eating all of our art supplies, but if he does, I\’d love it if he wouldn\’t get sick from it!

26. Christine says:

Are you serious?? It\’s that simple??? Really??
    You must be kidding?? hehe Thanks for sharing!!!!

Check out my blog too :)
    thediydreamer.blogspot.com

27. This is awesome! I am so glad I came across your blog!! Thanks so much for sharing this!

28. Ajaire says:

I was just thinking I\’d need homemade finger paint to get some hand prints of my 8 month old. Cause we all know those fingers will get in her mouth before I\’m able to clean them all off! This is perfect. thanks!

Right: Tiffany replied with:

*Not sure if the sugar will provide a bug problem.. they used theirs up
    *As to longevity – again – they used theirs up v quickly but a teacher friend of hers said that theirs went a little jello like after a few weeks, so they just blitzed it in the microwave again to make it all smooth again!

30. emymc says:

Wow!! Will try this… Do they stain with food colouring in? Imy has had blue feet for the past week ha ha! x

I have to confess, I am not sure (this is a guest post), but I suspect it very much has to do with your food colouring – I find food colouring can be so different. When I use it in playdough, we don’t get stained fingers… but maybe in paint it will? I don’t think it would be very much though, else Tiffany would have mentioned this in her post!

31. Veronica says:

Neat recipe and so simple.

32. We used to make finger paints using soap flakes years ago, they felt amazing. I\’ve never made them with my kids and you reminded me that I really should. Love this recipe but on a cautious note , don\’t give finger paints to a baby on a high chair tray. I tried it with my eldest. She ate them but never did if we used them on paper on the floor.

33. we did a similar thing using plain flour.

we mixed 1 cup of plain flour with a cup of cold water in a pan then put it over a heat and then added 3 cups of hot water and then cooked it until thick and gloopy.then we split it of and added food colouring. My 7 month old loved it and it was comforting to know she wasnt going to be exploring with \’unknown substanses\’

34. Danielle says:

I love that you made this. What a fun thing!! I am having a Homemade Year on my blog Blissful and Domestic and would love for you to link this up to my Homemade Year linky party. It is so great!

Done! Thank you for the invite!

36. Jackie says:

They are so bright! The only recipe I\’ve tried before were so lightly colored and when we painted with them, they got even lighter. I think they may have dried invisible. I can\’t wait to try out this version!

37. I LOVE this. Definitely one we will be trying. Thanks for linking to Fun Sparks. xx

38. Sara says:

I made finger paints with this recipe for favors for my son\’s first birthday party. They were a big hit! Since it was a monster party I used neon food coloring and ended up with some great colors!

Oooh great idea to make these as birthday favours! So pleased they went down well!

40. Kerri says:

does the color stain the kiddos fingers/clothes?

I have had that question a couple of times… and to be honest, Tiffany hasn’t said that it does.. which makes me think it doesn’t! But from my experience with food colouring, it really depends on the brand you are using and how much you put in. I have used food colouring in playdough and it has been fine….

41. Can\’t wait to try this one, even if my kids are a bit old for finger painting, I never did it with them so don\’t want them to feel deprived. Plus those little containers look just lovely! Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

42. Kim says:

I was so glad to find your site…I have a 4 yr old son who is autistic and loves to paint as we all know they are not cheap so we will deff be using this recipe for many yrs and save money as we paint…thank you

43. Stephanie says:

How did she achieve such a vibrant red?!?

44. lenard says:

hey tiffany! i just love the looks of your homemade paint, not only are they colorful, they are also safe! my father told me that i should use this as my topic for my investigatory project! thanks for the help!

45. Elizabeth says:

This is so neat my grandkids love finger painting

46. Rebecca says:

Just been looking for kids craft ideas and came across this fab idea.
    I am going to make a ‘Messy Play Kiddie Basket’ for my friends little ones for christmas presents.
    Thanks for the recipe

47. Ashlee says:

We just made these and after a week they were moldy. We should have stored them in the fridge. :(

48. Christina says:

Can these be framed or is the material going to deteriorate over time? Im looking to do a finger painting from our 5 month old to his father for his birthday and I want something that will last for years in a frame. Has anyone framed this baby art??

49. christy says:

I made these finger paints and i was really excited to use then. However the painting that was created did not dry and 2 days later they were the consistence of nickelodeon slim or even jello for that matter… would not suggest this if it is going to be art that is wished to be kept.

50. Meg says:

Since most of the comments are just about what a great idea this is or questions I’ll leave some actual feedback. I made these this morning. Super easy! Fun vibrant colors! I used McCormick food coloring and it did stain my fingers even after just painting enough to test them out. The colors are not nearly as vibrant on paper as they are in the jar unless you glop it on thick, and the thick spot aren’t looking like they’re going to dry they’re looking like gelatin spots on the paper while the thinner spots are looking like watercolors. So far I’d agree with the poster who said it’s not a keep forever type of project but is fine for an hour of fun and entertainment… and a science project watching it go from liquid to thickened in the pan!

Hi Meg! Thank you so much for leaving such a kind and thoughtful comment. I believe that sometimes, it is great for the kids to just have fun and enjoy the paints!

51. Laura says:

Love this! Love the use of the brilliant word “gloppy”, must find ways to use it more.

I have been squirreling away jars for that domesticated moment when I might make jam or jelly but I think they are now repurposed. With a first birthday coming up I can see some fun ahead.

Thanks again!

52. Jessica says:

I have tried this and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but it keeps separating :/ Am I just not cooking it long enough?

Hello Jessica, so sorry you are having problems, I confess, as this is a guest post, I have never tried it before… I do know many readers, have and have been fine, so not sure what the problem is?