Kids Crafts: 4 Seasons - Winter Colours - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: 4 Seasons – Winter Colours

| February 15, 2012 | 27 Comments

valentines for kidsHello! Remember our Four Seasons of 2011? Well… I wanted to start another set of Four Seasons with both children for 2012. I think it is a wonderful way to explore the seasonal changes and I noticed that Red Ted really enjoyed the process last year and that he gets that something keeps changing in his environment. He loves saying “it is Winter now Mummy, look at the trees” and showing me that he has “understood”. After much oohing and aahing, I decided we would go for a “stained glass” window craft – as it something that both children can do.

It is mainly inspired by the book:

Frederick Leo Lionni

Fredrick, Leo Lionni

Fredrick is a book about a little mouse that through his poetry and words bring comfort to the other mice in a harsh and cold winter, when all food has been eaten. It is an interesting story, as Lionni shows us the value of the arts: all the other mice are busy collecting food and supplies for the winter, whilst Fredrick “sits there absorbing he world around him”. When the others ask him what he is doing, he saying that he is building supplies for the long bleak winter. The industrious mice doubt this very much, but leave him be… Winter comes. The mice retreat and eat their provisions. As all the supplies are indeed eaten and the mice start to feel glum and bleak, they turn to Fredrick for help… he warms their hearts by talking of the sun rays “can you feel them? all warm and golden?”. “Can you see the blue of the cornflowers, an red of the poppies” (NB: We have the German book, so these are not literal quotes). The mice all close their eyes, listen to Fredrick and their hearts and minds are filled with warmth an colour. Poets and artist DO bring value in our society – they may not feed our hungry tummies, but they warm our hearts and soul.

Our Craft

I asked the children the same thing (well kind of). I said, it is winter now. What colours do you think mean Winter? Red Ted said BLUE and WHITE and MORE BLUE. Are there any other colours? What about the sunsets in winter. What colours do we see? Red Ted said: PINK. I want some PINK and some PURPLE.

I confess, I did have the “relevant” colours lying nearby, so he probably saw them and just wanted to add some of those colours to his picture. But we have  observed bright blue skies and purple sunsets. So those are the colours we went with.

I prepped the Contact paper and a “sillhouette” of the tree for the children and they got to cutting and sticking!

winter craft kids

four seasons craft

four seasons craft kids

They loved it. Pip Squeak did run out of steam a little and didn’t cover her whole picture, so that there was some “sticky surface” left. So I asked her if I should help her and what colours she wanted me to add. She asked for extra white and some pinks. So though she didn’t stick all of it, she chose the colours.

Pip Squeak’s

Red Ted’s!

four seasons tissue paper craft

four seasons craft

I LOVE what they made. Aren’t these pretty? Can’t wait to have a go at Spring!!!!

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list.

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

What four seasons crafts have you made?

Tags: , , ,

Category: Calendar, Kids Craft, Seasons, Winter

1. Esther says:

love the contact paper tissue art! Can\’t wait to see all the other seasons!

2. sunnymama says:

The book looks lovely and so do the crafts! Such a nice idea. :)

3. artsy_momma says:

It\’s gorgeous! I like the stained glass look to it.

4. I love the stained glass pictures and how both children could be involved in it – I\’ve got my fingers crossed that by the time it comes to our autumn craft T will be able to help as well.

Aaaah what lovely comments to wake up to in the morning! Thank you ladies!!

And yes, Cerys, it is great when the little ones are able to start having a go too!

6. I have never heard of contact paper. Where do you get it? Although obviously if you tell me and I go looking for it I will go in disguise, because as you well know, \’I don\’t do craft\’ ;)

7. Victoria says:

What a great idea. I\’ve just done stained glass butterflies with my daughter. I used old sweet wrappers instead of tissue paper. Any excuse for eating more chocolate!

8. I love the tree – so pretty!

9. They are great! Fab idea. I\’ll be trying this one! xx

10. Lyndsay says:

I adore that book! What a great literacy connection!

11. Didi {Duck Duck Octopus} says:

What a fun and beautiful way to explore the seasons. Their art is so pretty in the window! Thanks for sharing this idea.

12. anna says:

I love that you\’ve connected the book with the artwork here. And the trees your children have created are just beautiful!

13. SnoopyGirl says:

Love your trees! I pinned this on Pinterest! I am following over from Read Learn Explore. Thanks for sharing.

Aaah thank you so much! Pins very much appreciated!!!

15. April says:

Love the way your craft turned out, what a wonderful idea to use contact paper, love this idea!

16. Lisa Nolan says:

Love your art project! I featured it in my \”Art Projects on a Budget for Montessori Environments #1\” with a link back and your button (let me know if I can add one of your great art pics)!

17. Jill says:

Love this! We have our Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday Link Party going on now and would love for you to share this! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/02/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link_16.html

18. Jackie says:

I love Frederick! When he gives his poem at the end, I get all teary for some reason! Crazy, I know!

19. gorgeous! they look amazing on the window too. thanks so much for sharing on Craft schooling Sunday!

20. Molly Plumb says:

Hello!

I love your seasons. I have never used contact paper like this. How did you get the frame to look nice on both sides. What did you use for the frame…is it just construction paper or tag board or did you use photo matting? I am going to have to try this!

I just used construction paper and cut out a rectangle and then another in the middle. But it may be easier to cut out strips of paper and just “assemble” Your frame. Was a bit fiddly. In fact the only fiddly bit about this activity!