How to... Make Blossom Fairy Lights (from Egg Cartons)! - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

How to… Make Blossom Fairy Lights (from Egg Cartons)!

| April 9, 2012 | 48 Comments

Well well well, this week’s “how to” is a little early in the week (no how to on Friday) AND my kids helped me make it – egg carton blossom fairy lights! I love love love Spring – in particular blossoms – so thought a blossom egg carton craft would be perfect! I thought that they looked so pretty even those amongst us without children may enjoy having a go at them, hence a “how to” and not “kids craft”.. They are now proudly strung up in the entrance to our “family/ kitchen area”, so pretty much all our visitors see them, when they first come in!

Egg Carton Spring Crafts

Please note: Never leave Fairy Lights on unattended.

{If you LOVE  crafts and you want to keep up to date… I would LOVE YOU to subscribe to e-mail notifications and come and to join me on Facebook !}

So. Egg cartons!

We made these as part of Tinker Lab’s Egg Carton craft challenge. If you don’t know Tinker Lab, then it is about time you do (but I am pretty certain you may have come across her already) – beautiful and fun crafts and activities for little people. I am sure you will always find something that will inspire you. She runs bi-monthly craft challenges and this month’s was egg cartons! Fabulous. We haven’t really crafted much with egg cartons before (save for our egg carton boats AGES ago), so it was a really nice challenge for us to come back to! And I have been collecting egg cartons for weeks, so now we have plenty of crafty material for us to get stuck in.

We decided to get all “Springy” and make “classic” daffodils and cherry blossom – but with a twist… we added glitter and fairy lights and hey presto – you have magic in your home!

Materials: Egg cartons, paint (pink & yellow), glitter (pink, gold and in our case blue), glue, scissors, paint & a set of plain fairy lights

1. Cut out your “egg carton” cases. I noticed that one of our boxes had little grooves running down them, so I cut “petal shapes” along these. These then became our cherry blossom. The “plain” cups our daffodils.

Egg Carton Spring Crafts

Egg Carton Spring Crafts

2. Get the children to paint! We had about 15 of each shape. Red Ted happily painted about 7 of them in great detail. Pip Squeak managed about 5.  (Look at Pip Squeak’s happy little face!). Then they got bored and moved on to handprinting. I finished them off for them!

Egg Carton Crafts

(I love that Pip Squeak’s are not a uniform  colour…)

Spring Crafts

(…whilst Red Ted’s are “perfect”!)

3. Let dry in the sunshine.

Egg Cartons

4. Add some PVA glue on the inside of your flowers – but not the centre (you will cut a hole here later) and add glitter. Then shake shake shake the glitter from one cup to the next.

spring blossom craft

5. Dry some more.

6. With nail scissors (I have  special pair for crafting), cut small holes into the centres and pop you egg cups over your fair lights.

spring blossom craft

egg carton crafts

spring egg carton crafts

7. Switch on. Hang. Admire.

Egg Carton Spring Crafts

Please note: Never leave Fairy Lights on unattended.

What do you reckon? Thumbs up to this egg carton spring crafts? Would you have a go? Which colours would you choose?

Now if you like egg carton crafts – why not join in the special egg carton link up party organised by Tinker Lab? We would love to see what you got up to!

Done!

Come join the Egg Carton challenge!

Thank you to the following blogs for participating in the challenge:

Child Central Station Red Ted ArtSun Hats & Wellie BootsTeach PreschoolThe Chocolate Muffin Tree , The Educators’ Spin On It , The Golden GleamGlittering MuffinsInspiration LaboratoriesKitchen Counter ChroniclesLiving At The Whiteheads ZooMake, Do & FriendMama Mia’sheart2heartNurtureStorePlayDrMomRainy Day Mum,  The Imagination TreeToddler ApprovedReading ConfettiKindergarten & Preschool for Parents & TeachersRainbowsWithinReachMommy Labs,  Green Owl ArtReusecraftsThe Outlaw Mom BlogHappyLittleMessesExperimenting-Mom, Duck Duck Octopus, PaintCutPasteTrain Up a ChildGrowing A Jeweled Rose Coffee Cups and CrayonsReady. Set. Read!Scribble Doodle and DrawCarrots Are OrangeJDaniel4?s MomQuirky MommaA Mom With A Lesson PlanGood Long RoadTwo2Read

Tags: , , , ,

Category: How To's, Kids Craft, Recycling, Spring

1. You never fail to amaze me! Such a pretty craft, and the glitter adds that special touch! Love it!

Oh my, Rebekah, what a gorgeous comment to make. THANK YOU. It means a lot to me :-)

3. You and your kids are geniuses! They\’re beautiful, Maggy and I\’m thrilled that you joined the challenge.

4. sarah lambert says:

WOW what a great idea they are utterly beautiful and look very profeesionally made :) Well done

Thank you @Rachelle – I LOVE LOVE LOVE your challenges and look forward to the next one!!

Thank you @Sarah :-) the children will be chuffed that you think they are professional :-)

6. Maggy, these are genius! Breathtakingly beautiful!
    I\’m sure people entering your home would beam with Ooohhs and Aaaahhhs!
    The sprinkles are like fairy dust!
    Can\’t stop admiring…

:-) thank you Rashmie. I was surprised at quite how effective they were. It was an experiment that worked out well! You should have seen all our faces, when I turned off the light and turned on the fairy lights for the first time. Oooooh. And. Aaaaah.

8. MiaB says:

We made Egg Carton flowers too…but yours are GORGEOUS!!! I\’m so impressed :)

9. Allison says:

Wow these are gorgeous. How clever!

Thank you :-) heading your way now to see your flowers! Love Egg Carton flowers!!!

11. Mansi says:

I have decided what to do with rest of the egg cartons left after our project. The execution is superb! The glitters are quite innovative. I loved it and so does my little one:)

12. Lisa says:

That is an amazing idea, got me thinking now about other things to do with led light strings! I love the piccies of the kids, they look like they are having such fun!

13. Ohhhh these are gorgeous – I can\’t wait to try these out to decorate our playhouse in the garden when it\’s built next to fairy hollow.

Thank you for your lovely comments :-)

15. these are so lovely!!! i want some!

16. Yes, I totally would do these! I can imagine these in the kids\’ room with the lights off. They would get such a kick out of it. I, myself, loved the touch of glitter in each one :-)

17. How pretty! These fairy lights would be gorgeous (and cheap ;)) party decorations! I think I\’ll book mark this for later.

18. Jackie says:

These are beautiful. If I hadn\’t just used my egg cartons for blocks for the tinkerlab challenge, I would make a set of these. I guess we\’ll have to eat more eggs because these are too pretty not to make!!

Thank you everyone!! And luckily egg cartons are easily to come by.. so you should be able to rustle up a set in no time… ;-)

20. Sian says:

So lovely and great for kids to do! have just found your site, will be visiting again : )

21. These are amazing…and how creative! Thank you so much for linking up to The Weekly Kid’s Co-op.

22. Laura says:

These are absolutely gorgeous. And then when I got to the bottom of the post I couldn’t believe all the things that you can do with egg boxes. Fantastic ideas.

23. becky says:

OOh we are going to do this this weekend perfect for may day celebrations. You are so clever!

24. Amy* says:

These are so pretty and fun! I’m sure they look delightful in your entryway. Your little assistants seem to be having a blast with this project and will have fond memories of this creation for years to come :)

Amy*

25. Kelly says:

We just made these over the weekend. We used colored lights, and a random assortment of colors for the paint and glitter.
    It turned out ADORABLE.
    Thank you so much for the inspiration!

Oh I am SO pleased :-) WOULD LOVE to see any photos you may have? You can easily share them on my Fb wall?

26. Lisha says:

What a really lovely idea to light up one’s home!!

You have SUCH easy and lovely crafting ideas and I would love to do some of them with my kids. Also I hope to share some of these ideas on an Art & Craft Special sometime in the near future with my parenting page fans at http://www.facebook.com/ConsciousParentingApproach – we have a new theme each month and this month, it’s Teaching and Learning Special. Please do stop by and say Hello to us – it would be lovely to meet you there! :-)

27. Carolyn says:

I can’t wait to make this craft and hang it in my living room. It can give my room a classic look as well.

28. TJ Anderson says:

I feel silly asking this, but I get my eggs in styrafoam containers. Are your crafts mainly paper containers or both? I would love to make the fairy lights! Thank you, TJ

29. Scott Henson says:

We made these with my granddaughter but instead of the fair lights we used LEDs and controlled the light-up patterns with an Arduino. The glitter inside looks like a disco ball, especially on the brighter LEDs. Overall, very nice project!