Quick Craft: (More) Walnut Boats - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Quick Craft: (More) Walnut Boats

| April 16, 2012 | 11 Comments

Yes yes yes… we have had walnut boats (click through to see that they do float!) before here on Red Ted Art.. but a child’s childhood can never have too many walnut boats. Surely?! They are easy peasy lemon squeasy to make and this time, I used up some multi coloured birthday candle left overs for that little bit of “something else”. Ta da… our walnut boats! (You can also use playdough or blutack to secure the masts, if you wish!!!!). (Check out the original walnut boatsfor more detail on how to make them! Including tips on getting the walnut shell open in tact).

waldorf crafts walnuts

The children chose all the colours and we still had some pretty paper printed off from our Free Printables page! Oh and make sure the wax is FULLY cooled before playing.. we had some eager hands play quickly and the sail kept coming out.. not the end of the world, just frustrating!

Hooray for Walnuts. Hooray for Walnut Boats!

Happy Sailing!

Tags: , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Nature

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Summer Holiday Ideas! | The Party Pirate Blog | July 15, 2013
  1. Alison says:

I love them, but knowing my son he would add them to the bath. Do they float?

@alison YES! They float and YES perfect for the bath :-) maybe make the sail out of plastic.. as the big waves in the bath are likely to knock the boat over!

3. Frankee b says:

I was going to ask exactly the same about floating!

Very very cute and simple

Frankee – it has made me realise that my kids HAVE to take these in the bath tonight!!! You can see them float here http://www.redtedart.com/2011/02/23/kids-get-crafty-walnut-boats/ they can get waterlogged (like a real boat!), but just let them dry out and they float again!

5. oooh so cute! H loves boats we might have a go at these!

😉 hooray! They are so quick and easy to make too (you can use playdough or blue tack to secure, doesn’t have to be a candle.. though they look pretty!)

7. This is super cute! I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas!

8. oh wow!! this is awesome.. so pretty.. Thank you for linking into Made with love.. :)

9. H. Medina says:

I am glad people are find this a cute craft. However, This originated as a Christmas/New Year’s custom from the baltic world regions of Poland and Czech (I am sure other countries in that part of the world also have some form of this custom. I am of Czech/Polish heritage and this has been practiced as a holiday tradition from the Old World for generations. My kids who are Mexican/Polish American love this part of our holiday celebration and eagerly await Wigilia for us to carve our walnuts and set our boats assail.

The Floating of Walnut Shells
    Little boats are made out of empty walnut shells and each family member places a little burning candle into a shell. Everyone’s shells are then floated on a bowl of water. If the shell makes it across the bowl, its owner will live a long and healthy life or have health and prosperity in the coming year. A shell that sinks brings bad luck to its owner.The difference in the interpretations is attributed to different regions.
    Happy Sailing!