How to... Make an (Upcycled) Batman Costume - Red Ted Art's Blog

How to… Make an (Upcycled) Batman Costume

| August 31, 2012 | 34 Comments

batman how to Well.. I have long wanted to make a Fancy Dress costume for my kids. And I kept thinking “yes yes, when they are older”. Then I suddenly realised, that when they are TOO much older, they will not WANT to wear a homemade fancy  dress costume, however cool I think it is. So NOW is the time. I seized the moment. And decided, pretty much on a whim, to my Red Ted a BATMAN costume! How to best go about it?

Ever pragmatic person that I am, I didn’t want him to outgrow it in 3months. SO. The basis of this costume is a black T-shirt and black trousers. Which most kids have in their wardrobe. And as he grows, he can just change into a bigger black T and a bigger black pair of trousers.

x

xx

I doubled checked whether this was “ok” with Batman himself. Mmh yes. I think we are ok – you have the classic comic book batman in blue and grey or the “new” black batman from the films. You actually have quite a choice of colours when making your costume – so make it according to what you have at home? No need to buy new things or fabrics? You can have a black or blue cape and hood. And grey or black T-shirts and trousers. Go with what you have!

batman costume

Materials: An old pair of Daddy’s suit trousers (ours were in charcoal grey), yellow felt, black felt, glue, safety pins, scissors, sewing machine, yellow ribbon (or similar, you could probably use some yellow felt), black ribbon for cape, “iron on patch” (for eye holes)

batman costume

CAPE

1) Cut one trouser leg and open the seem on side of the leg. This will make your cape. Neaten the edges so you have straight lines. The narrow part of the leg will be the top of the cape. Sew a seam. Sew a black ribbon into the narrow top part of the cape. Make your badges as per the below.

HOOD:

2)  Take the other trouser leg and cut it off. Put it on top of your child’s head. Where the sides fit neatly around your child’s head, cut top and bottom (see diagram).

3) Sew ears. Place over your child’s head and mark where the nose is. Then cut a space for nose and mask and sew another seam. I think I may “go over” our batman ears again and make them a tiny bit smaller! They are a little crazy at the moment!

4) Iron on some “magic patch” on the inside, roughly where the eyes will be. Then cut out the eyes. I did this, as our fabric REALLY frays and I knew sewing mini eye seams would be a really fiddly and a right pain. So by ironing on the patch first, you reduce the amount of fraying when you cut the eyes and you don’t have to sew a seam!

BADGES:

batman badges

5) Google “Batman Badge” and grab yourself a batman badge image. Blow it up and print out to make yourself a stencil

6) Cut out two yellow ovals.

7) Cut out two black bats. Glue together with fabric glue.

8) Once dry, pin one to the cape and one to the t-shirt. By pinning it (and not sewing it), you can 1) wash your batman outfit without the felt going funny and 2) let your kids grow into new t-shirts!

batman diy costume

Dress your batman. (Don’t forget the shoes…)

batman costume

Oh and Batman needed a helper.. bring on BatBunny (designed by Red Ted himself).

Hooray we have a DIY upcycled Batman Costume!! Just in time for Halloween too!

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Costumes, Halloween, How To's, Sewing

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Make a Batman Costume from old Trousers – Red Ted Art's Blog | Dress UP Fancydress Costumes | August 31, 2012
  2. How to Make a Batman Costume from a Pair of Pants | My Disguises - We Love Costumes | September 7, 2012
  3. Red Ted Art's Blog » Blog Archive 50 Halloween Crafts & Ideas » Red Ted Art's Blog | September 23, 2012
  4. 28 DIY Halloween Costume Ideas {child, family, adult} | September 26, 2013
  1. Carol says:

Thanks for sharing this. Moms will have a way to create and customized costumes that their little ones will surely love!

2. Res Ted looks so cute! and I love that bunny is dressed up too! I keep meaning to make costumes…I have a ladybird and bee in mind.. :-)

Seize the moment, Emma, before our children only want shop bought stuff!

4. Jelly Babies says:

This looks amazing! I want to wear it myself!

Oooh how there is a thought! Should make them for adults too!

6. Verity Cash says:

Love this! I have just made my little girl an Alice in Wonderland costume using an old disney princess dress, a bedsheet and some back ribbon. She is thrilled to bits and look so cute next to all the other shop bought Alice’s! Roll on nativty plays and angel costumes
    ;-)

7. Love this tutorial. Will have to remember it for when my boy is older.

8. Liz Burton says:

You’re a bluddy GENIUS!!! Love love it. x

**BEAM** just need to sort the shoes now, right?! ;-)

10. How cute does Red Ted look- I’ve been thinking about Super Hero outfits but haven’t got the sewing machine out yet (think our may need to be more pink than black!)

11. We might be doing this for Halloween. My kid is OBSESSED with pretending to be a superhero. Thank you!

12. I love the hood! What a wonderful costume!

13. amber says:

My middle son LOVED a batman costume my grandmother made him when he was younger he wore it all of the time. I still have it , my little guy has not found the same love for superheroes though. I love your costume very good idea using a t-shirt and jeans.

Fairy and the Frog – oooh a PINK batman.. wouldn’t that be cool?
    Bethany – yes yes yes, make one!
    JDaniel4′s Mom – thank you :-)
    amber – I know, funny how the kids are all different. mine loves his, but only when “no one” is around!!!

15. Ellie says:

Love it, so ingenious to use old trousers for the cape and mask, where to you find the time to come up with all your ideas? So creative! Also loved your mermaid clothes pegs, can’t wait to have a go with these with my girls. Thanks for sharing. Ellie

Ellie – thank you… on this occasion the creativity was “driven” by the fact, that I didn’t want to go out and buy anything (Red Ted is so unpredictable as to whether he would like it or not)!!!!! ;-)

17. Wow, over the years I have tried to make fancy dress outfits but they have never turned out this good if I am honest. I certainly don’t see the point in paying upwards of £20 for something that might only be worn a few times. Posts like this are very helpful, I might have to forward this to my daughter for her 4 year old.

Mandy

18. Love this! We just posted our Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday link party and would love for you to link this up! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/09/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link.html

19. My son saw your little guy all dressed up and thought it was super cool. I agree. And BatBunny is a perfect sidekick. Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Showcase. :)

20. Terri says:

My 3-year-old has decided that she want to be Batman for Halloween this year. I’m sure I’ll be referencing this post again!

Brilliant! Have lots of fun Terri!

22. Carolyn says:

Great idea! I started my almost 4 year old’s halloween costume tonight and I used your tutorial as a starting point – I had problems with the mask and actually am pretty happy with how I salvaged it! Mine actually has a neck strap and I put a bit of stuffing in the ears to make them stick up a bit. The only thing I don’t like is my eye holes – wished I had followed your advice about the patches! Now I just have to make the badges.

23. This is great–thanks! My 4YO likes it, too. He’s been insisting on a storebought costume but really likes this one….until the end. Then: “A bunny!! I don’t want to have to carry a bunny! Batman doesn’t have a bunny! I don’t like this costume!”

24. Cherie says:

Cool but Velcro is probably safer round the neck than a ribbon
    lessens the chance of strangling and knotting