Kids Crafts: Autumn Mobile - Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Autumn Mobile

| September 5, 2012 | 46 Comments

stick craftsWelcome back to this week’s Kids Craft session. This week, we share with your our “Autumn Mobile” – basically a mobile made from all those wonderful bits and pieces that you can collect when you are out and about on a walk. We used a mix of “newly found” items, as well as some “remnants” of last year’s nature craft stash – we wanted to use it ALL up, so we could go out and collect more this Autumn. I also think this mobile would look FABULOUS made from leaves and no doubt we will be making a leaf mobile soon too. Watch this space!

fall crafts for kids

We grabbed our nature bag and went off for walk. And came back with these…

…Materials: Sticks, pinecones, phyaslis (from our stash), acorn tops. We added some little bells and embroidery thread for hanging and ready to go.

fall crafts

1) Layout your mobile on your table – roughly in the order you would like to have it. We kept ours fairly symmetrical, because, uhm, we like symmetry! We used one “main twig” for the top and then two smaller ones. Finishing each strand with a little bell.

autumn craft ideas

2) Using your string or embroidery thread, tie all your items together – we made a hole in the chestnuts (difficult to do, so we only used two chestnuts and tied the thread around everything else. We used autumn colours of red, orange and yellow. To make it balance, you will have to shuffle the strings up and down the sticks a little. A great “experiment” in learning about “balance” and what happens when one end is lighter than the other!

pinecone stick craft

Finish!

stick craft

Join the Kids Get Crafty linky party! Each week Red Ted Art hosts this kids craft linky, bringing you more readers and more ideas to browse!

Disclaimer: by joining the Kids Get Crafty linky – you give us permission to highlight any projects on Red Ted Art and Creative with Kids or share your craft ideas on Pintrest – we will always link to your site!

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, please link up!

What are your favourite Fall Craft ideas? What are your favourite Pinecone Crafts?!

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Autumn, Kids Craft, Nature

1. This is wonderful! I love how you find the right balance of objects to make the mobile work.

I did have to do a bit of shuffling of strings up and down the sticks to make it balance!

3. oh wow, love the mobile, so cool!. And booyah for being number 2 in the link up! haha :D

4. love it! we’ve started collecting autmny things already; we’ll definitely have to do one of these!

Debs – Yay to be 2nd!! And love the Robot hat!!! :-) and thank you, glad you like the mobile, was tricky to photograph “nicely”

Creative Playhouse – definitely a great way to use up “bits and pieces collected!>

6. Lovely Maggy! I can’t wait to go pine cone collecting. x

7. Oh, I love this! Now I know exactly what Luka and I are doing today!
    x

8. What a fun and frugal idea! I don’t know what the kids will enjoy more, collecting the items or making the mobile. Just pinned and linked up here.

9. artsy_momma says:

Oooh…. my son has a collection of at least 30 pincones, I will have to show him this :)

I think my kids LOVED the collecting bit :-) and now they LOVE the jingle jangling of the bells!! :-)

Artsy Momma – a perfect craft for 30 pinecones!!!!!

11. Jen Fischer says:

I absolutely LOVE this!! I definitely want us to try it.

12. This is fantastic! It is so simple but so elegant :-)

13. sunnymama says:

Your autumn mobile is lovely! I hope you’ll share it with the All Year Round Autumn Carnival starting soon. :)

Thank you ladies (and yes Sunny Mama, will come and add!!)

15. This idea is so great that it might help me stop whining that summer is over. It seems like the mobile will be a good way to remember some of our walks together.

16. I think that your mobile looks beautiful. Fantastic idea!

Oh yes, Lorraine, hopefully a craft they will like and help welcome Autumn!!!

18. Oh that’s lovely! We have made them in the past but have never used those gorgeous chinese lanterns! I need some now!

19. Love your mobile Maggy! thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

20. So pretty Maggy. Thanks for linking up. x

21. I love autumn, this is a great way to enjoy all those autumn colours

22. Rebecca says:

This is so pretty and a great idea to use pine cones.

I have featured this on the Sunday Showcase: http://www.herecomethegirlsblog.com/2012/09/15/the-sunday-showcase-autumn-inspiration.html

23. Hi, I wanted to let you know I featured this on the EtsyKids Team blog along with 50 other Thanksgiving crafts, recipes and printables for kids.

24. Margaret says:

Hi! I’ve featured your mobile on a pine cone blog post! Thanks so much!

Margaret