There is something wonderful about autumn and all the lovely Autumn Crafts for Preschoolers. Perschoolers are so wonderfully enthusiastic about exploring nature and discovering the world. My kids loved nothing better (and still do to be honest), than going on a walk, donning their nature bags and seeing what they could find. We would know all the best spots to find conkers (chestnuts), acorns and pinecones. We would delight in the firey red leaves. Autumn is simply wonderful and a great time to get crafty! If your kids are a little older already, check out our more comprehensive Autumn Crafts for Kids list for more ideas and information.
As some background to the crafts selected – I made ALL of these crafts with my two (!) kids before they started school – they would have been between 2-4yrs old. Now, some activities, they could totally manage by themselves, others they may have needed a little help with. I also did a number of these activities (e.g. the snowy owls) with my kids’ reception class (4-5yrs olds), so know that they do work in bigger groups too. But remember – Preschoolers are still young, they need the opportunity to do and explore by themselves, but also get a little help here and there in order to learn and feel successful. Some of the other activities we also did at Toddler group – so with 2-3yrs olds and the same principle applies!
I have tried to group our Preschooler Crafts a little for you – make it easier to browse and find the ideas you fancy having a go at! We begin with nature craft (using “whatever you can find”) and then move on to specific nature items (e.g. Pinecones or Leaves) and finally have a section on autumn inspired crafts for preschoolers – so not necessarily USING nature, but making things from nature. We particularly enjoyed our Four Seasons Art exploration .. so do check those out at the bottom of the page! ENJOY!!!!
Nature Autumn Crafts for Preschoolers
I love nature craft with kids. Nothing quite like exploring the seasons via your nature finds.
- Autumn Mobile – the best thing about these autumn mobiles, is that they really are “unique” to your local environment. In fact, you can make these all year round and see what “different” things you can find at different times of the year
- More Stick Men – when my kids were little we adored making these charming stick men. So easy and perfect to go with Julia Donaldson’s Stickman book!
- Simple Autumn Sensory Box – it doesn’t get easier than this – perfect for the very young
- Fairy House TeePee – we actually have made several of these over the years.. like the Autumn mobile above, we love how varied these can get
Pinecone Crafts for Preschoolers
Pinecones are super wonderful – they are ever so tactile and great to craft with!
- Pine cone Snowy Owl – again – a super duper easy craft even for small children. This is a great sensory craft too – contrasting the prickliness of of pinecones, with the softness of cotton wool.
- Pine cone Bird Feeders – another great and easy craft and great for a feathered friends as well
- Pine cone Christmas Tree (ornament) – my kids love making these (almost as much as the snowy owls above) and they look so cute too. Hang them into your tree as an ornament or use them as play accessories, in any “small wolrd play”
- Pine Cone Hedgehog – another great little cutre DIY for autumn. Love how fun, easy and cheap these are to make.
Acorn Crafts for Preschoolers
Acorns (and horse chestnuts) have many a childhood memory for me.. We were always collecting them for fall crafts at this time of year
- Acorn Bracelet – make the holes FOR your kids, and they can have some lacing practice
- Acorn Animals – these are just so cute!
Chestnut Crafts for Preschoolers
As mentioned, I have strong memories of collecting chestnuts – or conkers as we know them in the UK – Buckeyes in the US. Love the shiny tactileness of this Autumn nature find.
- Counting Chestnut Snake – these are great for counting and threading practice. Just LOVE to make these every year. Even onces the chestnuts have tried a little and lost their shinyness, they are still fun to play with.
- Chestnut Spider – super cute and must see!
- Chestnut Streamer Toy – a totally underrated Autumn DIY. These are super fun to play with in the park
- Playdough chestnut creatures – I love these, as they are an easier variation to teh toothpick creatures that we used to make and are oh so colourful.
Leave Crafts for Preschoolers
You can’t have Autumn crafts for preschoolers, without some fabulous LEAF Crafts!
- Leaf Lanterns – again an all time favourite of ours that is surprisingly easy to make and looks so effective.
- Leaf Collages – classic craft for young kids at this time of year
- Leaf Faces – similarly, making leaf faces is fun and quirky – my kids actually came up with this idea themselves
- Woodland People – super sweet and fun!
- Love these Paper Plate Whirligigs – you can use paper leaves like we have, or REAL leaves!
Themed Autumn Crafts for Preschoolers
- Yarn Apple Garland Craft – love these yarn wrapping idea. Great for fine motor skills and the results are gorgeous.
- Super Easy Apple Pinch Pots – great for slighly more dextorous preschoolers, the kids will love this Autumn craft!
- Pom Pom Owl & Books – another DIY that my daughter came up with!
- Apple printing gift wrap paper – apple printing is a must in every childhood
- Doodle Owls – quick and easy, no mess. Make as many as you want. Great as little Autumn gift boxes too.
- Pumpkin Seed TP Roll Owls – takes me back to MY childhood. Great “Fall Harvest Project” too.
- Cheerio Bird Feeders – more ideas for our feathered friends
- Stone Owls – create your own “blank stone canvas” for kids to decorate/
- Woodland Creatures Coloring Page for Preschoolers – handy and adorable printables for Autumn and Fall
Four seasons art activities for Preschoolers
A great way to explore the four seasons…
- 4 Seasons Bubble Wrap Printing
- Nature Autumn Trees (Four Seasons exploration)
- Tissue & Contact Paper Season exploration
Autumn Coloring Pages
We do love to colour in our house.. here are some of our favourite coloring pages!