Monster Cookies - Easy Baking for Kids : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Monster Cookies

| October 3, 2012 | 33 Comments

monster cookies

Halloween craftsI love all sorts of Monster Crafts with the kids, because young children can just go wild and have fun and not worry about whether their monster “looks right or wrong”. Perfect. Lots of eyes and spots and mouths and happy children. So we decided make some fun Monster Cookies, these are in time for Halloween, but I don’t see why you cannot make them any time of year of for a Monster Party.

Ingredients: 300g flour, 200g butter, 100g sugar (our favourite recipe), but any biscuit recipe you have will do!

Decoration: Icing sugar, food colouring, sweets, white chocolate buttons, black confectioners piping

1) Mix all your ingredients into a  smooth dough. It helps if you use butter at room temperature. Bake in oven at 180C for 10-15min until golden (spot check). Let cool fully.

halloween baking

2) Mix a small bowl full of icing sugar with a few drops of food colouring and water. Try not to make it too runny (we always make it far too runny)

3) Then let the children go wild: Icing first, followed by chocolate button eyes (add a black pupil for them as the go along), sweets for spots and noses and mouths.

Let dry.

monster cookies

Enjoy.

More monster crafts on Red Ted Art (click on the image):

And check out our Frankensteins and Zombies over at Life At The Zoo:

Halloween Crafts

Join the Kids Get Crafty linky party! Each week Red Ted Art hosts this kids craft linky, bringing you more readers and more ideas to browse!

Disclaimer: by joining the Kids Get Crafty linky – you give us permission to highlight any projects on Red Ted Art and Creative with Kids or share your craft ideas on Pintrest – we will always link to your site!

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, please link up!

What are your favourite monster crafts? Do you like Halloween Baking?

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Halloween, Kids Craft

1. Pinkoddy says:

Oh how brilliant and great for Halloween

2. Sian says:

Love the ones with lots of eyes : )
    I don’t know how you find the time!

3. Sarah Marks says:

Love it what jelly sweets have you used and is that giant and small white buttons???? Its national baking week the 15th Oct and I’d love to make these!!!

By coincidence I bought both.. and we ued the large buttons for these cookies and the small ones for the Frankenstein ones!

4. Jackie says:

My boys are going to crazy for these! I can’t wait to see their creativity. Your kids did great! (I always make the icing too runny too and then I usually have run out of sugar and can’t add more so I just have to live with runny icing. ha)

5. Frances Hunt says:

I know that these aren’t the healthiest of treats but they are awesomely fun to make and reminds me of my primary school days when we used to decorate biscuits.

The next time I have my little cousins visit I will definitely crack the biscuit decoration kit out to do this with them.

6. I love this idea and will be making some along with my children as we have decided to hold a cake/garage sale at our house in the half term and it will have a Halloween theme!

Jackie – what is it with runny icing?! I just never get it right! Sigh.

Frances – definitely.. kids do like all things unhealthy! Like a magnet to them.

Laura – PERFECT for a Halloween cake sale!!!

8. These are adorable. J, T and I will have a go at making some for our halloween party this year. Thank you

9. Jenny says:

The toilet paper roll monsters are really cute, too. My son is always obsessed with monster crafts/stuff.

I think Monsters are such fun for kids (as long as they don’t scare them!)

11. Roopa says:

These cookies are adorable! I will be making some next week for my girl’s school halloween party:)

12. Judy says:

Those are super cute! My boys would have a blast making those.

Roopa – brilliant! Hope you have lots of fun making AND at the party too!

Judy – fab, hope you do have a go!

14. love these! Featuring them on this week’s Sunday Showcase – my girls would love making them.

15. Still loving these and just popping back to say Thank you for Linking up to Tuesday Tots this week and to let you know that they will be featured this week.

Oooh thank you both for the features. You guys are FAB!! :-)

17. These are unreal! Would be perfect for an activity at a kids monster party. (and if i ever have a monster party (hopefully lol) I’ll be doing them for sure!). I’m featuring this idea on Tuesday Tots this week (tues 16th)

18. eeep, just seen that cereys is already featuring this in Tuesday Tots so will have to change I’m afraid :( boo, sorry! Still love them though and will share on my fb page at some time :)

Debs – no problem!! It is the thought that counts!! And yay to one feature…

20. These look brilliant fun and your point about monsters freeing up the kids from trying to make them look ‘right’ is something I hadn’t thought of before but really true.

Thank you and yes, it is one our more “carefree” activities as they definitely just have fun and stop worrying!! :-)